English Premier League 2018-2019

Thibaut Courtois heading from Chelsea to Real Madrid for 35 million pounds (about $45 million USD).

To replace him, the Blues have activated the 71.5 million pounds (about $92 million USD) buyout clause (and later transfer fee for roughly the same amount) for Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, making their new goalkeeper the most expensive ever.

wettsten

Chicago
City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Tottenham
Man U
Arsenal

City and Liverpool will definitely be high up there with Chelsea the third place tagalong. the other three have cause to drop and any of them could finish fourth:
- Tot'num: made zero first team signings
- Man Utd: some players starting to turn on mourinho
- Arsenal: new system under new manager (granted Chelsea has a new manager too and was hired pretty late in the window but still managed to do more business than Tot'num)

title race will come down to City vs Liverpool

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I am a bit surprised that Tottenham signed nobody this summer. There was good news in that Alderweireld, Rose and Dembele all stayed put. I was resigned to Alderweireld leaving, but apparently they made it clear that he wasn't going to United unless they agreed to deal Martial. This team has been good for the last several years and should remain in the Top 4.

Lucas Moura was signed in January and did not play much in the second half of last season. He looked extremely sharp in the recent ICC and should battle for a starting spot.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
title race will come down to City vs Liverpool

Liverpool greatly overspent for what they brought in. I'm not convinced they are any better than they were before Coutinho left. And, I don't see Mo Salah having as good a season as he did last year.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
Liverpool greatly overspent for what they brought in. I'm not convinced they are any better than they were before Coutinho left. And, I don't see Mo Salah having as good a season as he did last year.
I agree that Liverpool are a little overrated currently based on their UCL run last season, but I still think they’re better than the other teams outside of City.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I agree that Liverpool are a little overrated currently based on their UCL run last season, but I still think they’re better than the other teams outside of City.

Well, they've finished behind Tottenham each of the last 3 years. I don't see anything to convince me that is going to change.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
Well, they've finished behind Tottenham each of the last 3 years. I don't see anything to convince me that is going to change.
Not making any signings leaves you open for a step back, and Liverpool only finished 2 points behind Tottenham last season. Tottenham had better hope they avoid injuries because their depth is pretty nonexistent. If Eriksen or Kane miss any significant amount of time, Tottenham are toast.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Not making any signings leaves you open for a step back, and Liverpool only finished 2 points behind Tottenham last season. Tottenham had better hope they avoid injuries because their depth is pretty nonexistent. If Eriksen or Kane miss any significant amount of time, Tottenham are toast.

They had major injuries last year. Alderweireld is one of the best CBs in the league and missed half of the season with a hamstring injury. Danny Rose missed most of the season. Erik Lamela missed almost all of 2017 with a hip injury. Harry Winks missed the final 3/4 of the season after having a massive showing against Real Madrid in the UCL group stage. And, Kane missed more than a month or he would have likely won the golden boot for the 3rd year in a row.

Looking at that and adding in Lucas Moura, I see a side that is poised to take a step forward if they can avoid similar injuries.

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
They had major injuries last year. Alderweireld is one of the best CBs in the league and missed half of the season with a hamstring injury. Danny Rose missed most of the season. Erik Lamela missed almost all of 2017 with a hip injury. Harry Winks missed the final 3/4 of the season after having a massive showing against Real Madrid in the UCL group stage. And, Kane missed more than a month or he would have likely won the golden boot for the 3rd year in a row.

Looking at that and adding in Lucas Moura, I see a side that is poised to take a step forward if they can avoid similar injuries.
We’ll see. There’s a reason Liverpool are 4-1 to win the title and Tottenham are 20-1.

wettsten

Chicago

wow. haha! fandom is a funny thing. this is almost as crazy as #wengerin ... almost.

Liverpool did well against City last year but they tended to drop points vs the lower teams the last few seasons. The goalie is an upgrade but we will see how well the other signings fare in the EPL. Spurs did well to keep all their stars. Sanchez is the key for United. He has looked good in preseason but was awful once he arrived last year. Jury still out on how Chelsea and Arsenal will do with new managers that have no premier league experience. Clearly City's title to lose. Still to be seen if they can get over their champions league hump.

Thibaut Courtois heading from Chelsea to Real Madrid for 35 million pounds (about $45 million USD).

To replace him, the Blues have activated the 71.5 million pounds (about $92 million USD) buyout clause (and later transfer fee for roughly the same amount) for Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga, making their new goalkeeper the most expensive ever.

Chelsea also got Kovacic on loan from Real Madrid. I'm very excited to see Sarri ball after having 2 defensive minded managers. A Kovacic, Jorginho, Kante midfield 3 could be dominating in attack and defense. Plus Barkley is as healthy as ever and looking for a big bounce back season.

We have 3 big questions. Can Morata or Batshuayi step up? Can Alonso play LB instead of his traditional LW? And can a CB step up and dominate alongside Christensen? If all 3 of those things happen then we should be right there with City. If none of those 3 happen we might find ourselves outside the top 4 again.

BTW, keep your eyes out for Callum Hudson-Odoi. He's a 17 year old winger and has been on fire this preseason. He was arguably the best player on the pitch against Arsenal and City, and he had his way against Bellerin and Walker. Unfortunately he plays the same position as Hazard so it's unknown how many minutes he could get or if he could switch to the right side. If Hazard rests the first couple of games hopefully Sarri gives him a start.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
wow. haha! fandom is a funny thing. this is almost as crazy as #wengerin ... almost.

I expected an Arsenal fan to chime in with some type of non-comment. Thanks for not letting me down... (y)

This weekend's Premier League schedule (all times Central):

Friday
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Manchester United vs. Leicester City

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Newcastle United vs. Spurs
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Huddersfield Town vs. Chelsea
11:30 AM, NBC: Wolverhampton Wolves vs. Everton

Sunday
7:30 AM, NBCSN: Liverpool vs. West Ham
10:00 AM, NBCSN: Arsenal vs. Manchester City

bredhartmann

Centralia, IL
Chelsea also got Kovacic on loan from Real Madrid. I'm very excited to see Sarri ball after having 2 defensive minded managers. A Kovacic, Jorginho, Kante midfield 3 could be dominating in attack and defense. Plus Barkley is as healthy as ever and looking for a big bounce back season.

We have 3 big questions. Can Morata or Batshuayi step up? Can Alonso play LB instead of his traditional LW? And can a CB step up and dominate alongside Christensen? If all 3 of those things happen then we should be right there with City. If none of those 3 happen we might find ourselves outside the top 4 again.

BTW, keep your eyes out for Callum Hudson-Odoi. He's a 17 year old winger and has been on fire this preseason. He was arguably the best player on the pitch against Arsenal and City, and he had his way against Bellerin and Walker. Unfortunately he plays the same position as Hazard so it's unknown how many minutes he could get or if he could switch to the right side. If Hazard rests the first couple of games hopefully Sarri gives him a start.
I don’t think Chelsea challenges for the title this season, look at Pep’s first year, it takes time to implement a system like that. Also Chelsea looked AWFUL (yes I know hazard and Kante were out) against City the other day. I think they’ll be a much better team by the second half of the season though. Also Batshuayi was loaned out. And Sarri has never won a trophy ;).

Everton with the 2:2 draw at Wolves. Both goals scored for the Toffees by Richarlison, one of the new signings for Everton from Watford, in the 17th and 67th minutes. Everton played the last five minutes of the first half and entire second half without Phil Jagielka on what was seen as a bit of a controversial red card with one of the officials later saying it was given for a "denial of a goal scoring opportunity." The match today was nothing if not entertaining which certainly is a change compared to what it was under Big Sam at the end of last season.

The Toffees host Southampton in the Goodison Park opener next Saturday.

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Cardiff City vs. Newcastle United
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Spurs vs. Fulham
11:30 AM, NBC: Chelsea vs. Arsenal

Sunday
7:30 AM, NBCSN: Manchester City vs. Huddersfield Town
10:00 AM, NBCSN: Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Manchester United

Monday
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Crystal Palace vs. Liverpool

Everton 2:1 over Southampton today. Goals in the first half by Theo Walcott and Richarlison paced the Toffees who win in their Goodison Park opener. Southampton tried to make a game of it in the second half with a goal by Danny Ings but it wasn't enough for the Saints.

Everton travels to the Vitality Stadium to take on Bournemouth next Saturday.

That first half was possibly the craziest 45 min of soccer I have ever witnessed. Great to see Morata get a goal, and Hazard and Kovacic came in and took control. Sarriball is wonderful.

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Wolves vs. Manchester City
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Arsenal vs. West Ham
11:30 AM, NBC: Liverpool vs. Brighton & Hove Albion

Sunday
7:30 AM, NBCSN: Watford vs. Crystal Palace
10:00 AM, NBCSN: Newcastle United vs. Chelsea

Monday
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Manchester United vs. Spurs