English Premier League 2018-2019

Pulisic is talented, and would have liked to have seen him at Spurs eventually, but I'm not sure that he is ready for the Premier League just yet. He definitely needs consistent playing time, and I'm not sure Chelsea is in a position to give him that.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-christian-pulisic-possibly-live-up-to-the-hype/

Great read. I agreed with you until I read this article. Now I can't wait to see him in a Chelsea shirt.

Bottom line is the numbers Pulisic has put up proves he is one of the best youngsters out there. If he was German, French, English, Spanish, etc the whole world would be raving about him. But the fact that he's American makes people look at him more skeptically, even fellow American fans.

Like you said, hopefully Chelsea gives him a fair chance to succeed. We'll see who comes in and out this summer.

Agreed. I hate those guys on the wrong side of Merseyside. I'm genuinely curious as to how you became a fan of the Toffees. I became a fan after the 2014 World Cup as I was looking for a Premier League team to follow and Tim Howard was the most well known American playing over there at that point. I've followed them ever since. Had to deal with a couple seasons that have wanted to make me tear my hair out at different points.
Like you, I was always a big Tim Howard fan and a soccer fan in general. I followed the EPL and knew I needed to pick a favorite team. I did some research and found the history of the club very interesting (essentially starting out as a church soccer team, as well being located next to a toffee factory). They are depressing to follow sometimes, but I always pull for an underdog. I think Evertonians and Illini football fans have a lot in common.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
As if DeGea's 11 saves on Sunday weren't enough, in the 5th minute of stoppage time against ManU Harry Kane rolled his ankle and ligament damage is feared. Normally this would mean that Son would be Spurs main striker, but he is off to play with South Korea in the Asian Games for a month. So - in the next month they will be in the semi finals of league cup, round 4 of the fa cup, last 16 of champions league, and fighting for top 4 without their top 2 scorers. :frustrated:

Last edited:
As if DeGea's 11 saves on Sunday weren't enough, in the 5th minute of stoppage time against ManU Harry Kane rolled his ankle and ligament damage is feared. Normally this would mean that Son would be Spurs main striker, but he is off to play with South Korea in the Asian Games for a month. So - in the next month they will be in the semi finals of league cup, round 4 of the fa cup, last 16 of champions league, and fighting for top 4 without their top 2 scorers. :frustrated:

Yikes. Good thing the transfer window is open. Maybe they can get a deal done quickly.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Yikes. Good thing the transfer window is open. Maybe they can get a deal done quickly.

That would be nice, but Daniel Levy and "deal done quickly" don't generally belong in the same sentence.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
That would be nice, but Daniel Levy and "deal done quickly" don't generally belong in the same sentence.

Placating Poch may play into how quickly Levy moves. I think Poch wants to stay, but if he feels Levy doesn't have his back...

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Placating Poch may play into how quickly Levy moves. I think Poch wants to stay, but if he feels Levy doesn't have his back...

Rumor has it that they have been in contact w/ RB Leipzig re: Timo Werner. He'd be a perfect fit, as he could play w/ Kane after Kane returns. However, if Werner is available (hasn't signed new contract) any team in Europe who could use a striker will be after him. I'm sure Bayern is after him, and good German players often make the choice to stay in Germany. Even if he does change leagues, Spurs historically have not won the battle for top tier players.

wettsten

Chicago
Rumor has it that they have been in contact w/ RB Leipzig re: Timo Werner. He'd be a perfect fit, as he could play w/ Kane after Kane returns. However, if Werner is available (hasn't signed new contract) any team in Europe who could use a striker will be after him. I'm sure Bayern is after him, and good German players often make the choice to stay in Germany. Even if he does change leagues, Spurs historically have not won the battle for top tier players.

i think it was Werner who said he wants to stay in the Bundesliga so luring him out would probably take a lot of money

This weekend's Premier League schedule (all times Central):

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Wolves vs. Leicester City
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace
9:00 AM, CNBC: Manchester United vs. Brighton & Hove Albion
11:30 AM, NBC: Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Sunday
7:30 AM, NBCSN: Huddersfield Town vs. Manchester City
10:00 AM, NBCSN: Fulham vs. Spurs

Everton loses today at Southampton 2:1. Saints had the better chances throughout much of the match. Lone goal for the Toffees (for their own side at least) was a goal by Gylfi Sigurdsson at the start of injury time in the 2nd half. Lucas Digne with the own goal in the 64th minute ended up being the difference in the final score.

Everton will travel to Millwall in the 4th round of the FA Cup next Saturday before returning to Premier League action January 29th at Huddersfield Town.

One story involving the Toffees that I missed over the past couple of days was striker Oumar Niasse heading to Cardiff City on loan for the remainder of the season. And from the looks of the recap I saw online, it looks like Niasse got the start for Cardiff City today in their 3:0 defeat at Newcastle United.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Spurs get the stoppage time winner from Winks to get 3 points at Craven Cottage. However, Dele went down with an apparent hamstring injury late in the 2nd half. He'll likely join the injured list (Kane, Sissoko, Lucas Moura, Wanyama). Add that to the departure of Dembele (sold to China) and Son being away on international duty, and I'm wondering if they're gonna have enough bodies left to field a full team.

4th round of the FA Cup begins tomorrow. Two matches will be played, though only one involves Premier League sides as Arsenal will host Manchester United at the Emirates (The other Friday match-up is between Bristol City and Bolton Wanderers, both of whom play in the EFL Championship). There are three other match-ups involving Premier League teams facing each other this weekend with Manchester City-Burnley, Newcastle United-Watford, and Crystal Palace-Spurs. Brighton & Hove Albion, Wolves, Everton, West Ham United, and Chelsea are also still alive and playing this weekend.

There's also one side, Barnet, who is currently in the 5th division of English football and is still alive. They will host EFL Championship side Brentford on Monday.

With this past weekend's FA Cup action, we get some mid-week Premier League action. Here's the schedule (all times Central):

Tuesday
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Arsenal-Cardiff City, Huddersfield Town-Everton, Fulham-Brighton & Hove Albion, and Wolves-West Ham United
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Manchester United vs. Burnley
2:00 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Newcastle United vs. Manchester City

Wednesday
1:45 PM, NBCSN: Bournemouth vs. Chelsea
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Spurs vs. Watford
2:00 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Southampton-Crystal Palace and Liverpool-Leicester City

Tuesday's Newcastle United-Manchester City will be significant as it will be the final Premier League match called by longtime broadcaster Jon Champion. Champion has called global soccer events, including the Premier League, for the better part of the past 3 decades. Champion is joining ESPN and will part of the #1 team with Taylor Twellman on the network's MLS coverage starting later this year.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
With this past weekend's FA Cup action, we get some mid-week Premier League action. Here's the schedule (all times Central):

Tuesday
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Arsenal-Cardiff City, Huddersfield Town-Everton, Fulham-Brighton & Hove Albion, and Wolves-West Ham United
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Manchester United vs. Burnley
2:00 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Newcastle United vs. Manchester City

Wednesday
1:45 PM, NBCSN: Bournemouth vs. Chelsea
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Spurs vs. Watford
2:00 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Southampton-Crystal Palace and Liverpool-Leicester City

Tuesday's Newcastle United-Manchester City will be significant as it will be the final Premier League match called by longtime broadcaster Jon Champion. Champion has called global soccer events, including the Premier League, for the better part of the past 3 decades. Champion is joining ESPN and will part of the #1 team with Taylor Twellman on the network's MLS coverage starting later this year.

Perfect timing while we're hunkered down.

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Spurs vs. Newcastle United
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Chelsea vs. Huddersfield Town
11:30 AM, NBC: Cardiff City vs. Bournemouth

Sunday
8:05 AM, NBCSN: Leicester City vs. Manchester United
10:30 AM, NBCSN: Manchester City vs. Arsenal

Monday
2:00 PM, NBCSN: West Ham United vs. Liverpool

Everton lose at home today 1:3 to Wolves. It is the 4th loss at Goodison Park for the Toffees this season, a place that they have normally played with much better form at in prior years. The lone highlight for Everton was the goal by Andre Gomes in the 27th minute that was an absolute strike. Wolves were the better team on the pitch today and it showed. For Wolves, this victory equals their highest total of wins in a Premier League season, matching the 2010-11 season though it appears that this season will likely have them finishing higher in the table than that one.

There was one bit of an odd moment in the match as a black cat found its way on to the turf shortly after the final Wolves goal in the 66th minute. The cat held up play for several minutes as it eluded players and stewards before finally finding its way out and leading to there being 7 minutes of added time at the end of the match. Even the announcers of the match had to point out when the extra time was announced that it was due to the feline and not the play on the field.

Everton returns to action Wednesday when they will host Manchester City.

Friday
1:45 PM, NBCSN: West Ham United vs. Fulham

Saturday
6:30 AM, NBCSN: Burnley vs. Spurs
9:00 AM, NBCSN: Newcastle United vs. Huddersfield Town
11:30 AM, NBC: Leicester City vs. Crystal Palace

Sunday
8:05 AM, NBCSN: Manchester United vs. Liverpool

In addition, Manchester City and Chelsea are playing in the EFL Cup Final on Sunday at Wembley. Kick-off is set for 10:30 AM CT with the match airing on ESPN+.

Some mid-week Premier League action this week. Here's the schedule (all times Central):

Tuesday
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Cardiff City-Everton, Huddersfield Town-Wolves, and Leicester City-Brighton & Hove Albion
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Newcastle United vs. Burnley

Wednesday
1:45 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Arsenal-Bournemouth and Southampton-Fulham
2:00 PM, NBCSN: Chelsea vs. Spurs
2:00 PM, NBC Sports Gold: Crystal Palace-Manchester United, Liverpool-Watford, and Manchester City-West Ham United