English Premier League 2019-2020

the next Everton

tenor.gif

Wasn't entirely thrilled with a 0:0 draw in the Merseyside derby but I'll take it coming off of the long layoff as Everton would have likely gotten smoked if the match had been played in March based on how the teams were trending back then. Richarlison had a couple good chances to score (really the best ones for either side to be honest) and Davies had one that hit the post. If there's at least one bright spot, their Merseyside rivals weren't able to clinch the Premier League title at Goodison Park.

Liverpool can potentially clinch at Anfield vs. Crystal Palace on Wednesday but they would need to win and hope that Manchester City either lose or draw to Burnley tomorrow (which likely won't happen as a stat I saw earlier today said that Burnley hasn't won at Manchester City since 1963).

With Chelsea defeating Manchester City today 2:1 at Stamford Bridge, Liverpool has clinched their first ever Premier League title. This is the first top flight title for Liverpool since they won the First Division title during the 1989-90 season. They are now the 7th different club to win at least one Premier League title. And with Liverpool clinching the title, the traditional "Big Four" side with the longest top flight championship drought is now Arsenal.

Arlo White brought up a great point on the Merseyside Derby broadcast on Sunday. If you had told a Liverpool fan in 1990 that Leicester City would win a top flight title before The Reds won another one, they would have thought you were nuts.

I keep forgetting that Loyalty has the general sports side of it too. This is my first year following the EPL (or any non world cup soccer for that matter). I wanted to pick someone who wasn't a traditional power like Man U or Arsenal so I went with Wolverhampton as they'd just fought their way back up from the lower tier and I liked that (Plus the wolf logo is really cool and they were one of the only teams that wasn't primarily red or blue, England knows that more than 2 colors exist right?).
I had no idea they'd do this well and be fighting for a chance at the Champions League, I was just hoping they didn't get relegated my first season in. Needless to say it's been a pretty fun year for this first time fan.

Welcome to EPL fandom, IlliniCaboose. I was in a similar boat to you about 6 years ago looking to follow a Premier league side after the World Cup. Much like you didn't wanna go with one of the traditional powers. Decided on Everton in part because of the Tim Howard connection.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
Welcome to EPL fandom, IlliniCaboose. I was in a similar boat to you about 6 years ago looking to follow a Premier league side after the World Cup. Much like you didn't wanna go with one of the traditional powers. Decided on Everton in part because of the Tim Howard connection.
May 11, 2014 I saw Rebecca Lowe recap the season and, despite knowing zero about it, decided to look in the next season. I liked the city of Liverpool's long standing inclusive reputation and a couple of silly quizzes I took paired me to LFC. So they became my team to follow to get a feel for this weekend morning wonder while picking up everything else on the fly. LFC has been a lot of fun to follow these past six years, both the agony of defeat and the current thrill of victory.

May 11, 2014 I saw Rebecca Lowe recap the season and, despite knowing zero about it, decided to look in the next season. I liked the city of Liverpool's long standing inclusive reputation and a couple of silly quizzes I took paired me to LFC. So they became my team to follow to get a feel for this weekend morning wonder while picking up everything else on the fly. LFC has been a lot of fun to follow these past six years, both the agony of defeat and the current thrill of victory.
Happy Come On GIF by Liverpool FC - Find & Share on GIPHY

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
Well considering who you follow in the EPL and who I follow, I guess you're dead to me now. :p
Heh, I actually don't have any animus toward toffees and generally only root against them at derby time. But I did get booed off an LFC board for saying my dislike for the Spurs made them a rival. New kid in school, I am.

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
From reddit - Liverpool are only the 7th different team (and the first from Britain, obviously) to hold the European Cup, European Super Cup, World Club title and domestic league title simultaneously following Porto, Ajax, Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pulisic... DENIED!<br><br>Fantastic by <a href="https://twitter.com/kschmeichel1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@kschmeichel1</a> 🧤<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/EmiratesFACup?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#EmiratesFACup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LEICHE?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#LEICHE</a> <a href="https://t.co/hen0Ix0ccK">pic.twitter.com/hen0Ix0ccK</a></p>&mdash; The Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) <a href=" ">June 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Based on how the players reacted after their 0:1 loss at home to Brighton & Hove Albion yesterday, it appears that Norwich City has come to the realization that they're likely relegated at this point. Considering their 7 points back of Watford, who is currently the first team outside the relegation zone, with 5 matches left to play and still have to travel to Chelsea and end the season at the Etihad against Manchester City, they may be right.

Meanwhile in the EFL Championship, Leeds United, who is currently at the top of the table, has clinched at least a spot in the EFL championship playoffs following their 1:3 victory over Blackburn Rovers coupled with Derby County's 1:1 draw vs. Nottingham Forest yesterday. West Bromwich Albion also clinched at least a playoff spot with today's 4:2 victory over Hull. Leeds United and West Bromwich Albion are currently in the top 2 direct promotion spots with Brentford, Fulham, Nottingham Forest, and Cardiff City currently in the playoff spots. Derby County, Swansea City, and Millwall are close behind but will need some help getting in one of those playoff spots.

wettsten

Chicago
Heh, I actually don't have any animus toward toffees and generally only root against them at derby time. But I did get booed off an LFC board for saying my dislike for the Spurs made them a rival. New kid in school, I am.

that much dislike for the spurs should make you a gooner :D

wettsten

Chicago
I keep forgetting that Loyalty has the general sports side of it too. This is my first year following the EPL (or any non world cup soccer for that matter). I wanted to pick someone who wasn't a traditional power like Man U or Arsenal so I went with Wolverhampton as they'd just fought their way back up from the lower tier and I liked that (Plus the wolf logo is really cool and they were one of the only teams that wasn't primarily red or blue, England knows that more than 2 colors exist right?).
I had no idea they'd do this well and be fighting for a chance at the Champions League, I was just hoping they didn't get relegated my first season in. Needless to say it's been a pretty fun year for this first time fan.

sorry (not sorry) for the home loss yesterday. traore had me worried. he's a pretty beefy lad; maybe should be playing rugby instead.