FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
IMO The coaches getting arrested will get the big headlines, but the bigger arrests are the shoe company guys. I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
IMO The coaches getting arrested will get the big headlines, but the bigger arrests are the shoe company guys. I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.

I think Louisville could get hammered. They are an Addidas school. The Bowen recruitment in particular could be used against them. If that happens on top of the recent hooker incidents....oh baby.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
My ability to interpret legalese isn't strong, but it appears Evans is charged with taking money to steer kids to agents AND bribing players to attend certain schools. If it's proven this took place while he was at OSU with Underwood in 2016 (and it looks likely), then BU may face some kind of "failure of institutional control" type penalty.

Edit: It appears the bribes in recruiting may have gone from the shoe companies directly to the players to attend certain schools. Whether or not Evans knew about it or participated would be the key in that case.

Ironically, I remember a certain poster had an utter meltdown that we couldn't entice Evans to join the program. :cool:

Last edited:
I know this is unrealistic and spiteful, but I really want this to somehow work out to have nothing to do with Underwood at OSU and at the same time everything to do with Bruce Pearl :)

Maybe it is possible since Pearl has had Chuck Person as an assistant all three years.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
If they are going to go after head coaches, Frank Martin at SC could get nailed since that is where Evans worked prior to his one year at OSU.

With the FBI involved, once guys start "singing" things really go South.

My ability to interpret legalese isn't strong, but it appears Evans is charged with taking money to steer kids to agents AND bribing players to attend certain schools. If it's proven this took place while he was at OSU with Underwood in 2016 (and it looks likely), then BU may face some kind of "failure of institutional control" type penalty.

Edit: It appears the bribes in recruiting may have gone from the shoe companies directly to the players to attend certain schools. Whether or not Evans knew about it or participated would be the key in that case.

Ironically, I remember a certain poster had an utter meltdown that we couldn't entice Evans to join the program. :cool:

You mean Jawun??:D

Highly doubt that would happen. Like with everything else, it'll go high enough to hit some high-profile programs - like here, Arizona and Louisville - but those true blue bloods would never get hit.

I so want that paper trail to lead to KU, UK, Duke and UNC.

Be careful what you wish for, because there is currently more of a connection with South Carolina/Oklahoma State where Underwood worked, than KU, UK, Duke, and UNC. Hopefully, Evans acted on his own.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The shoe company role in recruiting has been the worst kept secret in college basketball for years now. It was going on in Derrick Rose's recruitment ten years ago. Pathetic that it takes the feds stepping in to actually do anything about it.

This is some movie type stuff right here... Curious if this ends up being as big as it sounds.

I doubt it, though I'll be curious to see what side the HC's come out on.

Hmm maybe Gio was right when he talked about OSU "dropping the bag" after all.....

He's got to be in the center of this thing. Having mysteriously moved from South Carolina to Dallas and then shows up in Stillwater. Even Larry Brown got cold feet on Jawun. The good part about this is that recruitment was under Ford at OSU and not BU. Right??

Smacko

Lexington, KY
He's got to be in the center of this thing. Having mysteriously moved from South Carolina to Dallas and then shows up in Stillwater. Even Larry Brown got cold feet on Jawun. The good part about this is that recruitment was under Ford at OSU and not BU. Right??

Correct. Ford was the one who recruited Jawun. BU coached him for his sophomore season.

Bowen can't play with this hanging over his head, right?

I've gotta say that i am also incredibly curious how this investigation started. This stuff has been going on forever, why would the FBI get involved now, and with such a limited focus? I would not be at all surprised to learn that this was started by a fan of one school out to hurt another, and the others involved are merely the low hanging fruit that could disguise the original intent. (I am going to vote for a UK fan going after Pitino.)

Yeah. Alleges payments to players during 2016

How about paragraph 65(a)? In February 2017, Evans wanted money from the adviser in order to pay a high school recruit (actually his mother) who had previously given a verbal commitment.

The good news is that there's absolutely nothing implying that Underwood knew of any of this. As someone else mentioned, the adviser specifically stated in a recording that they needed to work through Evans rather than Frank Martin because head coaches make too much money and it's too risky for them.

I suppose I'm a little confused about this, both not being a lawyer, and the fact that this has been going on for literally decades. Why the crack down now? Where are the big boys? I suppose it could just be chance that the agents they caught were not associated with any blue blood program.

Anyway, can someone explain the quid pro quo here? Is it as simple as:

Agent steers player to certain college, giving "enticements/bribes" to asst coach, and as a public employee this is illegal.
College agrees to steer player back to agent/shoe company.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
makes me wonder if any of this had to do with a former recruit not faxing his LOI to Groce and going with UL instead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.