FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Evans also told the cooperating witness he hoped to receive funds to help recruit a particular high school athlete. The player had already committed to the university, but Evans said he needed money to secure a commitment from the player’s mother, according to court documents."

Happened 2/3/17 in same timeframe where Lamont Evans introduced Juwan Evans to the cooperators. Note said recruit was already committed and, obviously, never played for Underwood.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_2bbc9699-67c2-5059-8676-b7597537e6ba.html

The real "gasp" if you want one is that if this was Juwan Evans, he was being recruited on even ground here under JFG. We seem to have been "on" some pretty shady recruits under JFG.

Not a direct comment on BU's statement, just a general comment, but I think it is extremely funny how all statements by coaches mention how "surprised" they were by yesterday's events, yet even a 5-yr-old has known for a while the dirty involvement of agents, shoe companies, boosters, and coaches in recruiting. I mean, come on coaches, really? Surprised? :D

The only real surprise is the FBI...

Last edited:
It is was it is and we all knew for it years the feeling to have a top Recruit commitment only to lose him at the last moment to a mystery BAG MAN.

The FBI is not the NCAA they actually have teeth with Unlimited Resources and Time.

Time to clean house where ever it is needed and justified.

The Landscape has changed for sure.

Apologies if already posted ................. SI reporting https://www.si.com/college-basketba...lle-recruiting-anfernee-simons-courtney-ramey

Louisville has lost its two recruits set to join the program next season. Anfernee Simons, a 6'3", 165-pound guard who attends IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., announced Wednesday that he has rescinded his verbal commitment to the Cardinals. Soon after, Courtney Ramey, a 6'3" 170-pound guard out of Webster Groves High in St. Louis, reportedly revoked his pledge.

Deleted member 10676

D
Jeff Borzello‏Verified account @jeffborzello 54s55 seconds ago

Five-star guard Romeo Langford (No. 5 in the ESPN 100) is no longer considering Louisville, his father told ESPN.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
other schools asst. coaches he was in competition with.....

What was he competing againstother coaches for? He's been charged with taking money from an agent. I may be wrong but his charges went related to giving money to high school kids.

illini80

Forgottonia
Is there any chance this spills over to other sports? Notably football?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
What was he competing againstother coaches for? He's been charged with taking money from an agent. I may be wrong but his charges went related to giving money to high school kids.

recruits....highest bidder sweepstakes

JJB

Chicago, IL
The real "gasp" if you want one is that if this was Juwan Evans, he was being recruited on even ground here under JFG. We seem to have been "on" some pretty shady recruits under JFG.

The recruit in question was someone committed to OSU in February of this year, when this conversation took place. I haven't done the research yet to figure out who that is. Juwan Evans was already a sophomore at OSU and met with Lamont Evans and the undercover cooperators at the time this conversation was recorded.

Is there any chance this spills over to other sports? Notably football?

It's unlikely for 2 reasons. The main reason is that the scope of this investigation is on the agent/brand/coach relationship where that dynamic isn't big on the football side. College football IS the big business whereas with CBB the business exists beyond the sport itself, lending itself to what is going on. The relationship between recruitment and player is so much direct in football. Surely football is just as dirty but it's a lot different method than what is being challenged legally here.

The second reason is the main source of evidence is from a basketball only agency.

whovous

Washington, DC
The recruit in question was someone committed to OSU in February of this year, when this conversation took place. I haven't done the research yet to figure out who that is. Juwan Evans was already a sophomore at OSU and met with Lamont Evans and the undercover cooperators at the time this conversation was recorded.

You assumed the same thing I did - that Juwan was the player Lamont Evans was bribed to steer to a financial adviser. It was probably Jeffrey Carroll, not Juwan.

JJB

Chicago, IL
You assumed the same thing I did - that Juwan was the player Lamont Evans was bribed to steer to a financial adviser. It was probably Jeffrey Carroll, not Juwan.

I think that's probably right. From more reading of the complaint, it seems like "Player 4" is Carroll. It talks about how on 4/5/17, Player 4 was still weighing his NBA Draft options. Juwan Evans declared for the draft on 3/21/17.

Question... do you look more/less guilty of having your hand out if you immediately decommit from a school involved in all this?

Deleted member 10676

D
Where is Coach K and Calipari's statement?

how about Joel Berry? lol

Joel Berry II
@JoelBerryII
Worst time for college hoops right now
8:01 AM - Sep 27, 2017

Joel Berry II
@JoelBerryII
That’s why I love Coach Williams and how he goes about things! Blessed to be at this University!
10:05 AM - Sep 27, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.