FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Just saw this on twitter:

BREAKING: Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.

Pretty glad he decided to stay at OSU now.

Dan

Admin
The FBI has arrested several NCAA asst. basketball coaches in a corruption scheme. Presser @ 12n with U.S. Attorney

Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.

Emanuel Richardson of Arizona is also a coach who has been charged in the corruption scheme according to court docs.

Folks there are 120+ pages of criminal complaints to go through... details as we can report and write.

The fourth coach charged in the scheme announced by the U.S. Attorney's office is Tony Bland of USC

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Tom Winter‏ @Tom_Winter
BREAKING MORE: Emanuel Richardson of Arizona is also a coach who has been charged in the corruption scheme according to court docs.

This isn't the NCAA and their band of interns, this is the FBI!!

So what exactly is happening here? Is this for improper benefits type of a situation or something else?

Just saw this on twitter:

BREAKING: Lamont Evans of Oklahoma State and Chuck Person of Auburn University are two of the coaches charged in corruption scheme.

Pretty glad he decided to stay at OSU now.

Well, looks like charges relate to a time in 2016 up to the present time. A little concerned here.

One tweet I saw also mentioned"reps of a major international sportswear company". What company has those schools?

Adidas is the company named.

oSu is Nike, Auburn is UA, I believe. Not sure how this is all connected.

Aaron Katersky reports somewhat differently than others

College basketball coaches accused of taking bribes by @FBINewYork in exchange for steering players toward certain agents

I'm guessing this has to do with improper selling of complimentary tickets on the secondary market. Complete speculation on my part but what other federal crimes could assistant coaches spanning the entire country collectively be involved in?

Edit: Looks I jumped the gun which is why we shouldn't speculate.

Last edited:

Smacko

Lexington, KY
I'm guessing this has to do with improper selling of complimentary tickets on the secondary market. Complete speculation on my part but what other federal crimes could assistant coaches spanning the entire country collectively be involved in?

The Evans piece looks to be related to steering players towards agents in return for cash bribes.

Smacko

Lexington, KY
If the Evans stuff is about him steering players to agents, as opposed to the actual recruiting of kids, then BU will be fine.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Looks like this was while Evans was at South Carolina. The justice post indicates this happened in SC. Not sure exactly when Evans went to OSU.

Edit: looks like this continued beyond the initial incident at SC to well into his time under BU at OSU.

Looks like this was while Evans was at South Carolina. The justice post indicates this happened in SC. Not sure exactly when Evans went to OSU.

Edit: looks like this continued beyond the initial incident at SC to well into his time under BU at OSU.

Actually Evans took money while at SC and then took one more 2-3 weeks after going to OSU. He worked for Underwood for less than a year. I doubt this has anything to do with Underwood.

Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 3m3 minutes ago

Agent said to be involved in kickback scheme, Christian Dawkins, was fired by ASM for running up $42,000 in Uber charges on player's dime.

Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 12m12 minutes ago

Feds: adidas head of sports marketing Jim Gatto, with others, paid high school players to go to adidas schools, then sign with adidas later.

Darren Rovell‏Verified account @darrenrovell 18m18 minutes ago

Feds allege that Chuck Person agreed to $50K deal to steer player to agent, who was former NBA official & custom clothier Rishan Michel.

I skimmed the section showing the details on Lamont and it looks like he was taking cash bribes from several sources including agents and financial representatives to steer student athletes to them when they go pro.

There is one part that specifically mentions how they don’t offer the bribes to head coaches because they make too much already and they won’t take it because it is too risky. Maybe that’s a good sign as it related to BU.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Reps from Adidas and Nike for "making and concealing bribe payments to high school athletes and their families." I knew the shoe companies have been steering guys away from Illinois. Feds should have been on here after Clifmas. They would have know why Adidas got KFC to KU

Status
Not open for further replies.