FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalini

So Cali
I just can't see BU risking his million dollar "dream job" so that one of his assistants could make a little extra cash.

Mike

C-U Townie
I don’t think Illinois has much exposure to this unless Underwood himself was engaged in illegal activities. We have no evidence at all that was the case.

If the fear is that Illinois will be exposed because of the “coach responsible for his assistant” rule, I really doubt the NCAA will be going down that road. Roughly 10% of the P5 schools could conceivably be in trouble based on the 4 arrested assistant coaches alone. Assuming this investigation expands, what is the NCAA going to do? Put 20-30% or more of their money-making schools on probation?

No? The NCAA is going to concentrate on the buying of high school recruits. The Louisvilles of the world are the ones in trouble.

Oh, and another note... I think UNC had a very bad day yesterday. No way the NCAA will simply bury their academic shenanigans in the wake of this investigation. The NCAA came away looking toothless and irrelevant, and they’re going to make a statement to reverse that perception, with UNC an easy target directly in their crosshairs.

You may be right that the NCAA now has real pressure on them.
The FBI yesterday was mentioning NCAA rules which I thought was kind of odd coming from the FBI.

Maybe somebody important in the FBI is a CBB fan of a minor program and they're just tired of getting walked all over by blue bloods. So they're using clout at the FBI to actually do what the NCAA should have been doing all along.

This is my new headcanon.

If (and this is a massive if) Underwood ends up getting in some trouble, I would think we would be okay. We'd fire him and say we had no idea, and we'd move on. We'd be back to "rebuilding," but our program's reputation probably wouldn't take anywhere near as much of a hit as IU after Sampson, for example. Maybe wishful thinking, but that's how I see it.

With that said, I still say we come out 110% fine.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
Illinois as an institution has no apparent risk of investigation. Underwood personally does have some apparent possible risk- and Illinois' risk is that BU gets in trouble. Consistent with yesterday's statement, no information out at his point about BU culpability, so assume he's fine unless info comes out otherwise, but there is obviously some investigation that needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times do we have to go over this? The FBI has NOTHING on BU. The main concern should be from the NCAA enacting "Head coach is responsible for everything" rule. There are other much more clear cut cases that are still on going into the FIFTH year. Nothign will happen and the only thing you need to be concerned about at this point is brand image. We'll be fine.

I just can't see BU risking his million dollar "dream job" so that one of his assistants could make a little extra cash.

That's not how it works. The pocket money is just peanuts compared to the overall benefits. The agents/companies steer recruits to specific schools/coaches in exchange for them steering them back to them. It is just insurance for the agents/companies, and these small gifts of cash are really nothing.

The biggest benefit is that these coaches get those recruits on their team, it improves their teams (and associated schools), it improves their visibility, their reputations as coaches/recruiters, they become successful, which in turn translates to huge financial, career, and other benefits.

It would be the same as asking why would Calipari risk his multiple dream jobs and salaries at his many stops. Coaches risk because these dream jobs and associated financial benefits depend on them becoming, and remaining, successful. And for that, they need the players, more than the pocket money and small tokens of appreciation.

How many times do we have to go over this? The FBI has NOTHING on BU. The main concern should be from the NCAA enacting "Head coach is responsible for everything" rule. There are other much more clear cut cases that are still on going into the FIFTH year. Nothign will happen and the only thing you need to be concerned about at this point is brand image. We'll be fine.

Read the detail analysis of Evan's actions and tell me how confident you are about Underwood being off the hook.

I feel ill.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_2bbc9699-67c2-5059-8676-b7597537e6ba.html

EJ33

San Francisco
I don’t think Illinois has much exposure to this unless Underwood himself was engaged in illegal activities. We have no evidence at all that was the case.

If the fear is that Illinois will be exposed because of the “coach responsible for his assistant” rule, I really doubt the NCAA will be going down that road.
Roughly 10% of the P5 schools could conceivably be in trouble based on the 4 arrested assistant coaches alone. Assuming this investigation expands, what is the NCAA going to do? Put 20-30% or more of their money-making schools on probation?

No? The NCAA is going to concentrate on the buying of high school recruits. The Louisvilles of the world are the ones in trouble.

Oh, and another note... I think UNC had a very bad day yesterday. No way the NCAA will simply bury their academic shenanigans in the wake of this investigation. The NCAA came away looking toothless and irrelevant, and they’re going to make a statement to reverse that perception, with UNC an easy target directly in their crosshairs.

I'm not concerned about Illinois' exposure - I don't think there is any.

I'm concerned that Underwood might have some exposure and that we might have to fire a guy who looks like he can make Illinois great again. I'd like to think the risk of this is small, but who knows (apart from Evans and Underwood).

sbillini

st petersburg, fl

It's like talking to a wall, but I guess I'll keep doing it....

Just because the FBI doesn't indict someone doesn't mean they don't have anything on someone. They just don't have enough to indict...that's it. That's all you can reasonably conclude. The risk is (albeit a small one) that BU was Evans' boss, and before then, his colleague, and now they're gonna turn up the heat on Evans to talk. That MAY give them enough to indict *IF* there's anything there. This is standard operating procedure for cases like this..Again, I still don't think they're going to find much, but to categorically say that they have NOTHING on him is short-sighted.

But agree with you on the NCAA side.

:thumb:

Too bad everyone couldn't just take a moment and enjoy the fact that Bruce Pearl may be going down in flames. AGAIN.

That's been my major enjoyment from all this. That slimeball has beat the reaper long enough.

Deleted member 10676

D

Even if that is true at this moment, there is no way to think this will be true going forward. Evans just turned himself in. Staring 80 years in the pen in the face, who knows what he knows and will tell?
He's worked with and under BU long enough that there's just no way to automatically assume Underwood is totally ignorant of what was going on.
As for Illinois itself, we're probably good but I wouldn't swear that on a stack of bibles -- or korans or anything else. This day 1 of an ongoing federal investigation. No way to tell what lies ahead.

Has Evans told them all he knows though. Evans is going to be trying to get his sentence reduced. Evans has worked for or with BU at multiple jobs.

Fine for Illinois sure, fine for BU and then as a result Illinois rebuilding effort? Depends on what Evans claims BU knew, or did.

EJ33

San Francisco
Read the detail analysis of Evan's actions and tell me how confident you are about Underwood being off the hook.

I feel ill.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsext...cle_2bbc9699-67c2-5059-8676-b7597537e6ba.html

I'm pretty confident there's nothing to implicate Underwood.

The agent kickbacks aren't going to come back to the school or head coach.

With respect to recruiting violations, Evans worked for Underwood for one year - a year where no high profile recruits were signed. As such, I'm fairly confident Underwood's staff wasn't paying a bunch of players to come to OSU.

Whether the FBI has anything on BU (e.g., leads, etc.) nobody currently knows. What we do know, is that BU has NOT been currently implicated in any official documents. As this case progresses, there is the possibility that the defendants accuse/bring down other associates and coaches in exchange for more lenient treatment. So BU may or may not have some personal criminal exposure.

Now, the UI has no criminal exposure. These events took place in previous years, so unless new information comes up that UI/Coaches are currently involved in fraud/crime, there is no concern. To be honest, even if coaches (at whatever school) were still involved in fraud/crime, that activity will likely cease/subside as a result of the FBI investigation in the next months.

As far as the NCAA, even if the rule of head coaching responsibility gets applied, there is still no UI exposure based on the fact that these crimes/inappropriateness were conducted not at UI, but while at OSU, SoCarolina, etc. The worst that can happen for UI, even in the case that penalties (criminal or NCAA) are brought up against BU, is that UI will have to fire him, which will set us back.

But unless things get uncovered on previous UI coaches, or current coaches at UI, the school has no criminal or NCAA exposure.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Has Evans told them all he knows though. Evans is going to be trying to get his sentence reduced. Evans has worked for or with BU at multiple jobs.

Fine for Illinois sure, fine for BU and then as a result Illinois rebuilding effort? Depends on what Evans claims BU knew, or did.

Not to pick on your quote, but it seems to me the real concern here is how much Gatto and some of the other money providers will talk. Evans may be of concern to Underwood, but this could be much, much bigger than what might happen to our coach. If they get Gatto, Dawkins or Sood to talk, there will be a lot of Rick Pitino walk-of-shames.

Some fans reaching for nothing.
It's almost as if they want Illinois basketball in trouble.

Innocent until proven guilty just don't work nowadays.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Some fans reaching for nothing.
It's almost as if they want Illinois basketball in trouble.

Innocent until proven guilty just don't work nowadays.

The court of public opinion has no such standards. It's not hard to connect the dots that there could be exposure for Illinois basketball through Brad Underwood. At this point, we have no idea if there is any exposure, time will tell.

Read the whole thing. I see nothing, perhaps you have the flu.

Before reading the Tulsa article, I was under the impression that Evans only crime/violation was accepting bribes to steer current OSU players to certain agents/advisers. That makes Evans a scumbag, but it does not give OSU a competitive advantage.

This article suggests that Evans is on tape with an FBI informant asking for cash to pay recruits and confirming the receipt of headphones that were either given, or to be given, to a recruit.

So to me, this article just put OSU in the NCAA crosshairs of recruiting violations. As has been stated here, the head coach is accountable for the actions of the assistant.

It's not Pitino level damaging, but it's not good for BU.

That's my read. I would be ecstatic for someone to tell me why I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.