FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ound-guilty-college-basketball-pay-play-trial

Allegations that Self / Pittino were aware of the payments could have huge consequences in the coaching / recruiting landscape.

This paragraph is unbelievable:
"As a jury has now found, the defendants not only deceived universities into issuing scholarships under false pretenses, they deprived the universities of their economic rights and tarnished an ideal which makes college sports a beloved tradition by so many fans all over the world."

Yes, yes, those poor Universities are the victims. Poor Louisville, poor Kansas. What are they to do when their economic rights are deprived like that? What a crock.

These coaches and administrators who are spouting off about their desire to uphold standards at their institutions and act like their not part of the problem must think folks are a bunch of freakin idiots!

These coaches and administrators who are spouting off about their desire to uphold standards at their institutions and act like their not part of the problem must think folks are a bunch of freakin idiots!
If you say it enough times, it becomes truth. That is a ridiculous statement . . . and truth.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
hqdefault.jpg

The more info that comes out the worse this looks. Kind of surprising this story isn’t getting more regular play on ESPN and the like.

I’d say punish all the schools / programs. Even if it is wide reaching so be it. Seems like many of the blue blood type schools have had an unfair advantage for many years with money to keep big recruits at big brands. Let them go a few years with a hand behind their back giving some advantage to clean programs

The more info that comes out the worse this looks. Kind of surprising this story isn’t getting more regular play on ESPN and the like.

I’d say punish all the schools / programs. Even if it is wide reaching so be it. Seems like many of the blue blood type schools have had an unfair advantage for many years with money to keep big recruits at big brands. Let them go a few years with a hand behind their back giving some advantage to clean programs

Agreed. It's called lack of institutional control.

There are at least 2 more trials going to happen. The next ones will involve actual coaches and teams. I think it's way too early to say nothing will happen.

Isn't the one for Lamont Evans and Ok State coming up in April??

The clue is "possible NCAA sanctions". Nike comes out clean.

February 4th - Chuck Person and Rashan Michel

April 22nd - Book Richardson, Tony Bland, and Lamont Evans

You have to wonder if the guilty verdicts in this first trial will get anyone talking more. Because some of them have already talked.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ound-guilty-college-basketball-pay-play-trial

Allegations that Self / Pittino were aware of the payments could have huge consequences in the coaching / recruiting landscape.

I was just reading on 247 that schools involved with the recruiting scandal had some monster 2019 classes (thus far).

#1 USC (5 players, 2 are 5 star, 3 are 4 star)
#3 AZ
#4 Louisville
#10 Auburn
#13 Ok St
#43 Miami
#49 Kansas (consists of 2 players, both 4 stars)

I was just reading on 247 that schools involved with the recruiting scandal had some monster 2019 classes (thus far).

#3 AZ
#4 Louisville
#10 Auburn
#13 Ok St
#43 Miami

Which is why if the NCAA doesn't come down extremely hard on these schools then everyone should start paying High School kids because it obviously does pay to cheat sometimes.

#3 AZ
#4 Louisville
#10 Auburn
#13 Ok St
#43 Miami
They’ve all busted the NCAA salary cap too! 🤣

Which is why if the NCAA doesn't come down extremely hard on these schools then everyone should start paying High School kids because it obviously does pay to cheat sometimes.

I was coaching in a tournament today, had an old timer with 40+ years coaching experience come up to me after the game. And I quote:

“I wanna share something I learned from the kids over 40 years of coaching. Win when you can, lose if you must, but cheat always.”

Yup, and unfortunately, I think we know what's going to happen. It would be bad for business to hit KU, Louisville, AZ, etc. with hard penalities, so it simply won't happen. They'll likely get a slap on the wrist to "send a strong message" and other laughable penalties. If you're looking for the NCAA to level the playing field, you're going to be disappointed. It's every man for himself

Yup, and unfortunately, I think we know what's going to happen. It would be bad for business to hit KU, Louisville, AZ, etc. with hard penalities, so it simply won't happen. They'll likely get a slap on the wrist to "send a strong message" and other laughable penalties. If you're looking for the NCAA to level the playing field, you're going to be disappointed. It's every man for himself
I agree with everything that you said, other than every man for himself. Because KU, Louisville, etc are not out there by themselves, they have the NCAA actively riding with them. Like the old movie "My Bodyguard"

There are no clean programs in the strict sense of the word

There is a way for everyone to be happy except a few individuals if they really want to try to get the corruption under control at least a little bit. Let the schools go this one time but suspend all coaches (head coach and assistants) for a certain amount of YEARS from coaching. Doesn't matter if the head coach knew it or not, which I think we can all agree they do know what is going on whether anyone can prove it or not.

At least that way the fans are happy and the NCAA still gets to turn their heads on the favorite teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.