FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The independent investigation was asked if academic standards were violated. It concluded that they were. It did not investigate any misconduct vis a vis the NCAA.

Less hand-wringing in here than I expected.

The indictment, I read it, quoted the informant as saying that Lamont Evans and others in the scheme, specifically conspired to keep the HC from finding out what was going on, so no real reason for any hand wringing.

CAIllini

West Coast
Interestingly this topic came up on talk radio in California today with respect to the Pac 12. The coloumnist said Arizona/Miller was most worried about a new NCAA rule that says the head coach can now be held accountable for what his assistants do even if he had no knowledge himself.

Not sure what truth there is to this new ruling…but could have implications for us if it’s real.

Deleted member 29907

D
Every major professional sports league: :wave:
Different animal... the number of pro teams is minute compared to the number of college teams and the reason for support / fandom differs. If you look at the stadiums during baseball games - clearly many pro teams are struggling to bring in the fans. Lets keep college as is and if players want to go play for pay, there will be alternatives - the college game will not suffer from the few one and dones never arriving - heck - it might make some coaches have to coach team play vs individual talent.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
Kansas playing the victim card. See the second story in the link below.

The intro to the story is:
The University of Kansas is seeking to recover more than $1 million in legal fees and lost tuition from one of the three men convicted of a pay-for-play scheme to send high-profile recruits to college basketball programs sponsored by Adidas.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26089054/iowa-mccaffery-curses-official

Kansas has always been good at playing the victim. For example, KU fans claimed the school was the "victim" its 2010 ticket scandal as well.

Last edited:
Interestingly this topic came up on talk radio in California today with respect to the Pac 12. The coloumnist said Arizona/Miller was most worried about a new NCAA rule that says the head coach can now be held accountable for what his assistants do even if he had no knowledge himself.

Not sure what truth there is to this new ruling…but could have implications for us if it’s real.

Hard to believe that rule would be allowed to be ex post facto, i.e. after the events that may have occurred, we change the rule. I have no problem with the ultimate accountability theory behind it, but not with changing the rules and applying the changed rule to events that happened in the past.

How can Kansas be the victim when they've benefited from these money men pushing players to Kansas? Defense lawyer speak at it's best.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
How can Kansas be the victim when they've benefited from these money men pushing players to Kansas? Defense lawyer speak at it's best.
Perhaps the defense should try to quantify the benefit received from having better players. I bet it far exceeds damages. ;)

Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 17m17 minutes ago
Evan Daniels Retweeted Pete Brush

Adidas executive Jim Gatto was sentenced to 9 months in prison. Christian Dawkins and Merl Code with 6 months.

Pete Brush‏ @PeteBrush 35m35 minutes ago

SENTENCE: 9 months prison for Gatto; 6 months each for Dawkins and Code #HoopsTrial

Deleted member 11196

D
Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels 17m17 minutes ago
Evan Daniels Retweeted Pete Brush

Adidas executive Jim Gatto was sentenced to 9 months in prison. Christian Dawkins and Merl Code with 6 months.

Pete Brush‏ @PeteBrush 35m35 minutes ago

SENTENCE: 9 months prison for Gatto; 6 months each for Dawkins and Code #HoopsTrial

It's notable that the judge said that he sympathizes with the defense argument that they alone are being punished for what is known to be widespread practice....

Hard to believe that rule would be allowed to be ex post facto, i.e. after the events that may have occurred, we change the rule. I have no problem with the ultimate accountability theory behind it, but not with changing the rules and applying the changed rule to events that happened in the past.

But this should have been a rule from the beginning. If money is changing hands, that is an obvious scam. And the coach
Yup, and unfortunately, I think we know what's going to happen. It would be bad for business to hit KU, Louisville, AZ, etc. with hard penalities, so it simply won't happen. They'll likely get a slap on the wrist to "send a strong message" and other laughable penalties. If you're looking for the NCAA to level the playing field, you're going to be disappointed. It's every man for himself

And don't forget Duke. I have videos of referees who actually view the video, then had the timer outright mis-set the clock to give duke seconds more to score. More video links of the timer delaying the turn on the clock on out of bounds plays to give duke seconds more of clock. I also have videos of dukies taking 11 steps out front, in plain sight, and no travel calls. Of course no ncaa penalties, or even slap on the wrist.

Forgot to mention, I recall somewhere, that someone mentioned that the FBI has seen the duke videos, so it should be interesting to see if the FBI goes after anyone.

SKane

Tennessee
Crooked and stupid is a downright powerful combination.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
"I don't foresee any red flags that I'm aware of," Gottfried said at the time. "It's a situation that's much bigger than all of us. It has affected a lot of programs. I'm confident that should be behind us pretty quickly."

210x.gif

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
A little more info here.....

The coaches would allegedly arrange a fake profile that listed the prospective student as an athlete, and exam administrators would either hire proctors to take the test or correct the answers of a student.

The bribes ranged from a few thousand dollars to up to 6 million, according to officials. The charging documents, unsealed in Boston federal court, are more than 200 pages long.

WLS-TV

Status
Not open for further replies.