FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...13787/auburn-expects-notice-allegations-hoops

Auburn expects a notice of allegations.

Person was hired by Pearl.

I hope this takes Pearl out of coaching forever.

Absolutely amazing that ESPN was able to write an entire article about possible recruiting violations at Auburn and not mention Bruce Pearl's name, even just to reference who the head coach is. There is no low they won't stoop to, to protect their own. They slipped Gottfried in at NC State, but no Pearl.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Absolutely amazing that ESPN was able to write an entire article about possible recruiting violations at Auburn and not mention Bruce Pearl's name, even just to reference who the head coach is. There is no low they won't stoop to, to protect their own. They slipped Gottfried in at NC State, but no Pearl.
:mad: Dan really needs to add a dislike button!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...13787/auburn-expects-notice-allegations-hoops
Auburn expects a notice of allegations.
Person was hired by Pearl.
I hope this takes Pearl out of coaching forever.
Bit of a slippery slope here., IMO. I hate Pearl as much as the next Illini fan...but this is pretty much the same situation as Underwood was in with Evans. Taking money from an agent to steer players to him just seems like something you don't tell your boss...it is self serving and not something I would expect any head coach to support, let alone a self serving skumbag like Pearl. I commented something to that extent upstream in the thread with regards to Underwood and Evans & Ptown came back with this.

I read the indictment against Evans. It said specifically that assistants like Evans and the others they indicted, wanted head coaches to know absolutely nothing about their scheme to push players after college to a certain agent, so it's not just the common sense you spoke about. This is where the FBI's investigation led them.

In the Auburn article linked it says this,
"While Auburn believes the NCAA investigation to date has only confirmed that any staff misconduct was isolated to Person -- and that his misconduct was committed in a way so as to avoid Auburn's detection -- the University will still have to navigate the enforcement process to an ultimate conclusion, a process that may drag into yet another basketball season,"

Sounds like there is no evidence that Pearl was in on this one... his time will come again, but I don't think it will be because of these charges & I honestly expect his accountability is limited to him hiring a scumbag like himself on this one. Now, maybe/just maybe this will add some NCAA snooping around and they will dig up some minor violations such as giving coats to recruits from California in the winter, illegal contact at a barbeque, ... and the NCAA will throw the book at him because of past history...

Bit of a slippery slope here., IMO. I hate Pearl as much as the next Illini fan...but this is pretty much the same situation as Underwood was in with Evans. Taking money from an agent to steer players to him just seems like something you don't tell your boss...it is self serving and not something I would expect any head coach to support, let alone a self serving skumbag like Pearl. I commented something to that extent upstream in the thread with regards to Underwood and Evans & Ptown came back with this.

In the Auburn article linked it says this,

Sounds like there is no evidence that Pearl was in on this one... his time will come again, but I don't think it will be because of these charges & I honestly expect his accountability is limited to him hiring a scumbag like himself on this one. Now, maybe/just maybe this will add some NCAA snooping around and they will dig up some minor violations such as giving coats to recruits from California in the winter, illegal contact at a barbeque, ... and the NCAA will throw the book at him because of past history...
I think the trainer probably kept stats during summer workouts....that's what NCAA will likely put their investigating resources towards (similar to UConn investigation)....incredibly frustrating that the FBI sting is main driver for meaningful recruiting enforcement. I guess money talks. I'll be interested to see how they enable Kansas to skate. I also like the way they are dripping the final penalties out ....that's how you minimize headlines.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Nothing particularly revealing or shocking in this article. But the author does seem to think Pearl will receive some kind of punishment. One caveat, though, the author is a 'Bama partisan.

NCAA Basketball: Auburn facing major charges by the NCAA

His premise is that the !!!'t Coach, Person, in the author's words, "The sentence was noticeably light, indicating he may have cooperated with the FBI and divulged other names." Also, he whose name must not be mentioned, already committed some minor recruiting infractions and lying to the NCAA.

illini80

Forgottonia
Nothing particularly revealing or shocking in this article. But the author does seem to think Pearl will receive some kind of punishment. One caveat, though, the author is a 'Bama partisan.

His premise is that the !!!'t Coach, Person, in the author's words, "The sentence was noticeably light, indicating he may have cooperated with the FBI and divulged other names." Also, he whose name must not be mentioned, already committed some minor recruiting infractions and lying to the NCAA.
As a serial offender, Pearl should absolutely have a shorter leash than everyone else. We will see. I’m certainly not holding my breath.

Lying to the NCAA is a good way to make sure you get bad treatment down the road. Wouldn't surprise me much either way, but I'll put my money on him getting punishment.

illini80

Forgottonia
I
I Agree with you.
It will eventually be their undoing, but it may well take a long time. Eventually form follows function and the NCAA serves too little function.

But what a long wait it is.
Idk. The Blue Bloods are the big money and the NCAA protects them. Will the rest of the schools have the guts to ever walk away? I have my doubts.

The NCAA is an absolute joke! They have no integrity which means the sport is tainted. DePaul, should be doing cartwheels. $5000 dollar fine, vacated wins nobody cares about, 3 game suspension for the coach, and 3 years probation . I fail to see any deterrent in there.
Illini 80 hit it on the head. No the other schools will never walk away, because there is a lot of money involved for ALL schools. Think i'm wrong. Where is the outcry from other university presidents and AD's. Not a peep. Even the schools that run a clean program don't their bread and butter tainted. So. the charade continues.

Another Pearl (and Auburn) article for those of you who can stomach it. That is to say, it looks pretty bad for Auburn and Pearl from the outside but will the NCAA actually do anything?

Auburn's recruiting ban that wasn't

I almost feel like Bruce Pearl is the only one that has it figured out. Cheat to high hell every waking second, don’t get punished for it most of the time, and win a crap ton of games.

What a turd.

illini80

Forgottonia
I almost feel like Bruce Pearl is the only one that has it figured out. Cheat to high hell every waking second, don’t get punished for it most of the time, and win a crap ton of games.

What a turd.
And be worshiped by the Auburn fans who don’t give a sh!t about the NCAA. I’d bet he makes a boatload on endorsements.

And be worshiped by the Auburn fans who don’t give a sh!t about the NCAA. I’d bet he makes a boatload on endorsements.

Great point. Between that and his salary I should have also added “and cashing fat @$$ checks while doing it.”

What a turd.

John Wooden had it figured out when Pearl was still wearing short pants to school.

Why should any fan base give a care about the NCAA. All the information the NCAA has and their best pitch goes to Cal-Poly. Hard to take this organization seriously.

Deleted member 236589

D
Great point. Between that and his salary I should have also added “and cashing fat @$$ checks while doing it.”
Taking his team to the Final Four isn't hurting his credibility amongst Auburn fans. The sweet smell of victory most often covers the ugly stink of investigation with fans.

illini80

Forgottonia
John Wooden had it figured out when Pearl was still wearing short pants to school.
I’ve heard he knew how to get around the rules, but it’s before my time following sports that close. Was he ever accused of wrongdoing during his coaching days? All I remember is people thinking he was a god. Everyone knows pearl is scum, yet they do nothing about it.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I’ve heard he knew how to get around the rules, but it’s before my time following sports that close. Was he ever accused of wrongdoing during his coaching days? All I remember is people thinking he was a god. Everyone knows pearl is scum, yet they do nothing about it.
Look up Sam Gilbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.