FBI College Basketball Corruption Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't care anymore whether or not Illinois cheats. (If they do, they are the worst cheaters ever.)

It has become painfully obvious that all of the top programs are breaking the rules left and right and benefiting handsomely from it and the NCAA doesn't seem to care.
I honestly believe that the NCAA is corrupt and uses the rules to keep their favorites at the top and to keep the great unwashed in line. It would almost be better to have no rules than to have rules enforced with bias, as we have now and for some time in fact.

illini80

Forgottonia
I am not liking our chances of a quick scheduled visit to them as well as the recent in a couple of months for a decision comment. We have been on this kid the hardest and longest out of anyone....I can understand the process and attention possibly being a + for him....but he has had that since he was a freshman from us. He has seen what Ayo/Frazier have done. Just don't think this is as much of a "lock" as many including myself once thought. In fact I think we are possibly as far away from landing him as maybe we ever have been? The tarot cards are not looking good right now....lol
I was a bit surprised to see he hadn’t been to campus since 2017. Especially since we often talk about his connections to DW and Ayo. Just seems like he would of spent a bit more time here if we were at the top of his list.

I was at a hotel bar in Mississippi recently and spoke to a man who was the director of football operations at a D1 directional school in Mississippi. He told me flat out that everyone cheats. He said you have to. He said as long as you're funneling money through someone who has a prior relationship with the player, you're usually safe. AAU coaches are basically just money launderers who also coach basketball on the side.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
When did Blue Chips come out? Even at that time it was the worst kept secret in NCAA sports. Media and coaches are acting like it's shocking and still not believable (and not directed at you westvilleillini). Talk about elephant in the room. As a matter of fact, most cheating programs and coaches appear to be doing just fine, even after "sanctions".

Duke conducted their own investigation into Zion and said everything was fine.

I don't want to claim they are guilty, I do have a question or two after the 60 minutes investigation; as to how thoroughly Duke performed
their investigation then and now.

Deception at Duke: Fraud in cancer care?

Were some cancer patients at Duke University given experimental treatments based on fabricated data? Scott Pelley reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/deception-at-duke-fraud-in-cancer-care/

keep on trucking

joe

Last edited:
When did Blue Chips come out? Even at that time it was the worst kept secret in NCAA sports. Media and coaches are acting like it's shocking and still not believable (and not directed at you westvilleillini). Talk about elephant in the room. As a matter of fact, most cheating programs and coaches appear to be doing just fine, even after "sanctions".

Bruce Pearl says hey!

The only thing that matters to the NCAA is preserving amateurism status for student athletes. If the NCAA can’t preserve the status quo in that regard, then the NCAA will not continue to exist in its current capacity.

EVERYONE involved knows the cheating and corruption that takes place. EVERYONE knows Duke/Nike pay players and their families. Coach K built Duke from the ground up with illicit payments. Its true for every school thats ever won a national championship, as well as many more. The NCAA knows this.

They’ve ignored this as much as possible because reforming it exposes themselves to scrutiny that puts the amateurism status in question.

With the FBI investigation they’re in a tough spot, I imagine. If the Feds expose these issues, but the NCAA fails to act, where does that leave them? Will their charter be called into question?

I can see a scenario where the NCAA comes down very hard on Kansas and the other 6 schools involved, and then uses these cases to argue for more power and influence over the schools. Basically, stating that amateurism was preserved by the 200+ schools, and put to risk by 5 or 10. They could then heavily punish those schools and argue for more oversight and financial control to prevent this from happening in an attempt to preserve themselves.

Last edited:
Currently on the Front page of USA Today

Self a Cheater. NCAA just as bad

Sounds like the NCAA has hit the panic button. Wonder if they'll go after the other programs mentioned, or Bill gets to be the sacrificial lamb?

Really hard to imagine the NCAA changing the culture of college sports recruiting. Programs still want to win, and they'll find a way around the NCAA.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA

Sounds like the NCAA has hit the panic button. Wonder if they'll go after the other programs mentioned, or Bill gets to be the sacrificial lamb?

Really hard to imagine the NCAA changing the culture of college sports recruiting. Programs still want to win, and they'll find a way around the NCAA.

If the NCAA does in fact nail Billy Boy, it would tear me up. NOT.

If I were Self and I was barred from coaching by the NCAA, I would spill my guts about everything I knew and had seen. Burn every last bridge and expose the NCAA for the fraud that it is.

If I were Self and I was barred from coaching by the NCAA, I would spill my guts about everything I knew and had seen. Burn every last bridge and expose the NCAA for the fraud that it is.
Except that a huge chunk of this activity could be criminally fraudulent. He could get himself indicted by spilling the beans. That’s the #1 reason Pitino has kept his mouth shut.

We will see how powerful the blue blodds are before this is all done I bet.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Two years later, fallout from hoops scandal still unclear

From the article: "On the second birthday of one of the most raging and impactful scandals in a sport long riddled with them, the answers remain elusive."
"Two years later, other than the ouster of Louisville’s Rick Pitino and athletic director Tom Jurich, there’s been little tangible fallout on the college basketball landscape. Since the scandal blew up, most implicated programs have done very little in terms of public corrective measures. Instead, what’s emerged is a fascinating game of chicken between high-profile schools standing by their coaches and the NCAA. The schools have, essentially, dared the NCAA to do what it has at times been historically incapable of – litigating and enforcing its own rulebook. Perhaps emboldened by North Carolina’s controversial escape from academic fraud sanctions in October 2017, the days of proactive self-policing and cooperating with the NCAA could be over."

Also: "the NCAA is putting the brakes on itself, extending its crime-and-punishment process deep into 2020 and likely beyond."

Also: "Yet as ponderous as this process has been on the investigative side, that pales in comparison to the inaction at the university level"
"a veteran athletic director, who declined to be named. “I’m more surprised at the lack of activity at the boards of these schools. Embarrassment has gone by [the] wayside.”"

Meanwhile parents are already on their way to prison in the "buy your way onto the tennis team" sweepstakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.