Fighting Illini Basketball Official Visit Grid

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Capture.JPG

Took a first crack at this, let me know what you guys think, anything from: Is this something the forum wants, formatting, colors/appearance, information, etc. I'm open to any and all comments/criticism, etc. Tried to use a similar format/color scheme to @rbachhuber 's Scholarship Grid so there's some consistency.

View attachment 4814

Took a first crack at this, let me know what you guys think, anything from: Is this something the forum wants, formatting, colors/appearance, information, etc. I'm open to any and all comments/criticism, etc. Tried to use a similar format/color scheme to @rbachhuber 's Scholarship Grid so there's some consistency.

Very nice job overall, thank you for taking the time for all of us....The one thing I would like to see more so on the Scholarship Grid/or here is once there is a Top ## announced by any recruit, and we are excluded, simply change the color or remove from future listings to focus more on recruits we are still in the running for? Just a thought, otherwise, liek I said (y)(y):chief:

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Thanks for putting in the work. I like it. Only suggestion would be to add a column for position.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Very nice job overall, thank you for taking the time for all of us....The one thing I would like to see more so on the Scholarship Grid/or here is once there is a Top ## announced by any recruit, and we are excluded, simply change the color or remove from future listings to focus more on recruits we are still in the running for? Just a thought, otherwise, liek I said (y)(y):chief:
I was going to suggest this last week but just hadn't gotten around to it. Plus I was afraid that it would be too much work and/or I would be laughed off the board as my suggestions are usually laughable. What I would suggest is that in addition to changing a recruits name's color if he excludes us from his trimmed list (e.g. Caleb Love) per PlayAZ but also change the color if he includes us in his list (e.g. DJ Steward). A different color, obviously.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
I was going to suggest this last week but just hadn't gotten around to it. Plus I was afraid that it would be too much work and/or I would be laughed off the board as my suggestions are usually laughable. What I would suggest is that in addition to changing a recruits name's color if he excludes us from his trimmed list (e.g. Caleb Love) but also change the color if he includes us in his list (e.g. DJ Steward). A different color, obviously.
I'll try to do something along these lines, still trying to come up with some kind of color code/legend to make it more obvious. For the first iteration I just used italics for those committed and did a strike through text for those who were were eliminated from or committed elsewhere.

I like breaking out fall and spring visits/commits to see how much of a drop off we have in recruiting when we are trying to fill scholarships in the spring.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Oh, and the above grid is great. The only thing I can see is that at least on my computer on Chrome, the far right is slightly cut off, the 2020 247 rank column. I can still see what you have in those fields though so it is not a big deal.

TEYPAY

Springfield
I like the color as a guide approach as well -- NOT saying green / yellow / red but shades -- green -- committed, yellow -- still in the running, red -- gone. Maybe shades of blue or orange or???

Thanks for the great effort. Curious what ratings sources you are using?

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Those average ranks. Yikes.
Yeah, they get weighted down by some of the last minute additions.
Thanks for the great effort. Curious what ratings sources you are using?
I try to use 247 as much as possible, but, for instance, they didn't have a ranking for Brandon Weston, so I pulled one from Rivals. Maybe I'll color code based on ranking source or include multiple rankings/composite score. If a recruit isn't ranked I usually put 400 down. If anyone has a suggestion on how to handle that better, let me know.

Yeah, they get weighted down by some of the last minute additions.

I try to use 247 as much as possible, but, for instance, they didn't have a ranking for Brandon Weston, so I pulled one from Rivals. Maybe I'll color code based on ranking source or include multiple rankings/composite score. If a recruit isn't ranked I usually put 400 down. If anyone has a suggestion on how to handle that better, let me know.
You're in for a harder job than you think, I appreciate your help and I hope you can make it as efficient and simple as possible. Thanks.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Capture.JPG

Here's an update - I dropped off 2018 to have more room for more fields, plus those OVs had dropped off and no long account for anything in regards to tracking. For data purposes, however, I created a new tab so we can track historical trends in ranking differences in fall/spring. Added a legend and added positions and 247 Composite Score, also added the comp score to the charts at the bottom to see player quality differences from year to year as well as fall/spring. Still a work in progress, open to more ideas. Do you think the player names are formatted different enough to be able to tell their status? I'm struggling with font colors that read well on orange/blue and aren't awful to look at/hard to read.

Last edited:

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
T
View attachment 4818

Here's an update - I dropped off 2018 to have more room for more fields, plus those OVs had dropped off and no long account for anything in regards to tracking. For data purposes, however, I created a new tab so we can track historical trends in ranking differences in fall/spring. Added a legend and added positions and 247 Composite Score, also added the comp score to the charts at the bottom to see player quality differences from year to year as well as fall/spring. Still a work in progress, open to more ideas. Do you think the player names are formatted different enough to be able to tell their status? I'm struggling with font colors that read well on orange/blue and aren't awful to look at/hard to read.
Great to have this all in one place. Thanks for the effort BMore!!

View attachment 4818

Suggestion. Make everyone Blue. If they put us in their top # or commit to us make them Orange. If they leave us out of their top # make them red. Make them black or red with strike out if they commit to someone else.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
View attachment 4818

Thanks for making the update. We definitely see a trend for '19 cruits. :)

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Is there an easy way to switch the years? Like 2019 on the left and 2020 on the right? Always have the current year on the right sort of thing? Thanks!

View attachment 4818

Go dark blue and dark orange...white should show fairly well?

Or just do the background in gray and white and use Orange and Blue for the lettering.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Updated with Coleman Hawkins commit. Trying out the all blue background with Orange font for commits, white for undecided, white with strike-through for those who have dropped up from their "top list" or have committed elsewhere.
Capture.JPG

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Hutch and Grandison should be 2019 recruits... but I like the new color format a lot more
They do because this year will be their sit-out year, but I think their visits count against the 2020 numbers since they didn't visit until August. That's what I thought at least unless someone knows for sure. I'll put 2019 in parentheses next to their name to clear it up, just how I've got 2021 next to Weston.