Fighting Illini Basketball Scholarship Grid 2020-2021

Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless
Has Verdonk been granted a red shirt year? Not shown on chart but has been mentioned on forum.
FightingIllini.com still has not updated the roster for the coming season, which is usually done in June. I have read the posts, but have not seen any official announcement. Anyone know for sure?

FightingIllini.com still has not updated the roster for the coming season, which is usually done in June. I have read the posts, but have not seen any official announcement. Anyone know for sure?
They probably won’t update the roster until it’s official what Ayo and Kofi are going to do.

Forgottonia
I can’t answer your question, but I believe it is automatic if you meet the qualifications. Which he does.

Has Verdonk been granted a red shirt year? Not shown on chart but has been mentioned on forum.
I could be off base here, but I thought medical redshirts occurred after you've played your 4 years.

So assuming he stays 5 years, this past year was his FR, this year is his SO, JR, SR, and then he would get a RS SR year after. I vaguely remember Abrams going through something similar. Or maybe it was a weird fever dream.

I could be off base here, but I thought medical redshirts occurred after you've played your 4 years.

So assuming he stays 5 years, this past year was his FR, this year is his SO, JR, SR, and then he would get a RS SR year after. I vaguely remember Abrams going through something similar. Or maybe it was a weird fever dream.
I seem to recall knowing Leron Black got his medical redshirt after his SO season.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you were saying, I agree that you carry on as a SO, JR, SR, then are listed as RS SR, but we know that the player was awarded a medical redshirt after that season.

Last edited:
OSKEE WOW WOW
Rochester, IL

Medical RS can happen in any year of eligibility

It depends on what you call a "medical redshirt." Everyone gets 5 years to play 4, which is the key point people often lose sight of. A "redshirt" can be claimed any year where the athlete hasn't met the minimum number of games to count as a season. The reason doesn't matter. It could be due to injury, transferring, or being passed up on the depth chart. @illini80 is correct that it is automatic; nothing has to be submitted to the NCAA (not sure about to the conference).

I think you might be thinking of what is often called a "medical hardship waiver." That is when a player appeals for a sixth year of eligibility due to some hardship (I don't think it has to be medical, but that is the most common), and that can only be requested after the initial five years of eligibility have expired. And, yes, Tracy Abrams received such a waiver. I don't believe the NCAA uses any of these terms I've placed in quotes, by the way, so there is plenty of confusion as to the meaning of terms.

It depends on what you call a "medical redshirt." Everyone gets 5 years to play 4, which is the key point people often lose sight of. A "redshirt" can be claimed any year where the athlete hasn't met the minimum number of games to count as a season. The reason doesn't matter. It could be due to injury, transferring, or being passed up on the depth chart. @illini80 is correct that it is automatic; nothing has to be submitted to the NCAA (not sure about to the conference).

I think you might be thinking of what is often called a "medical hardship waiver." That is when a player appeals for a sixth year of eligibility due to some hardship (I don't think it has to be medical, but that is the most common), and that can only be requested after the initial five years of eligibility have expired. And, yes, Tracy Abrams received such a waiver. I don't believe the NCAA uses any of these terms I've placed in quotes, by the way, so there is plenty of confusion as to the meaning of terms.
Yup I think you're right. Appreciate the explanation!

In any case, BBV should get a RS. Though I haven't heard anything about it.

If Verdonk got the red shirt he should be extended a year.

FightingIllini.com has updated the roster for the 20-21 season. Based on the update, I've made a couple of changes to the grid:

Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk is listed as a redshirt freshman, so I've added a year of eligibility for him. Also, Connor Serven, who had been announced as a preferred walk on, is not listed on the roster, so I've removed him from the grid.

Added an offer to 2023 PF Davius Loury from Simeon.

illinois loyalty 080320.png

Added offers to 2022 SG Cason Wallace and 2023 PG Jeremy Fears.

illinois loyalty 080820.png

Added an offer to 2022 SG Zion Cruz.

illinois loyalty 081220.png

Added two offers to the class of 2023:

PF Matthew Bewley
C Cyr Malonga

illinois loyalty 081920.png