Five Favorite Illini Games Since 2010

It's been sort of a rough go of it for us Illini fans since January 1st, 2010, but what are your five favorite games since then? Despite being an overall disappointment in both major sports, this covers the time period from the second half of my senior year in high school until now, and there have been more than a few good memories I have had. Basketball is in orange, football is in blue. Here are mine:

5. Illinois 78, #5 Michigan State 73
Saturday 2/6/2010
Champaign, IL (College Gameday)
In our one and only ever appearance on College Gameday, it was nice to see such an electric crowd propel our team to victory. There was still very much hope of making the NCAAs that year, and this game was so hyped beforehand. Awesome win.

4. Illinois 65, #23 Missouri 63
Saturday 12/21/2013
St. Louis, MO (Braggin' Rights Game)
The Braggin' Rights Game is my favorite sporting event of the year. The neutral 50/50 crowd, the rivalry, the Christmas theme, the fact that it's usually on Saturday and I can booze for it ... I love this game. So, to see Tracy hit those free throws to help us beat the Tigers for the first time in four years was amazing.

3. #13 Illinois 85, #10 Gonzaga 74
Saturday 12/8/2012
Spokane, WA
This served as a late birthday present for me, and holy crap did I think we were "back." My Groce optimism was at an all-time high (as I'm sure was the case with most Illini fans), and we looked LEGIT. Though that season stands out as one of only two remotely successful ones in the last decade of basketball, it is a shame it didn't amount to more. :( However, final season results aside, this win was truly inspiring at the time.

2. Illinois 48, #25 Northwestern 27
Saturday 11/20/2010
Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field)
I actually attended this game with my family, and it was such a satisfying decision on so many levels. Not only did it get us to bowl eligibility, not only was it a win in a College Gameday matchup vs. a ranked opponent, not only was it a rivalry game and not only was it an historic result on multiple levels ... it was our loud and clear response to the first of year of hearing "Chicago's Big Ten Team" echoing out of Evanston. Illinois was allotted ~3,000 tickets (about 7% of the capacity, I think), and NU made it as hard as possible for Illini fans (and non-NU season ticketholders, for that matter) to get in, and the place was at least 40% Illini fans. The rooftops were completely filled with Illini fans. To then absolutely beat down NU in their big showcase to Chicago was an experience I will never forget.

1. Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72
Thursday 2/7/2013
Champaign, IL
This doesn't need much explaining to even the most casual Illini fan past saying the name "Tyler Griffey." I remember coming home to watch this game with my dad, and we were both just waiting for things to collapse. With each passing second, there was a LITTLE more hope that we might just pull this out. When DJ got that steal but then had it blocked on the other end, I vividly remember both of us sinking down, knowing that OT vs. #1 Indiana meant a loss. Instead, one of the most memorable plays in Illini history unfolded, and we upset #1 for the third time in school history vs. our most hated conference rival. Part of me still isn't 100% sure that's what's going to happen when I watch the replay, LOL.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Illinois 38, Northwestern 35
on Saturday 10/1/2011 (big comeback that came down to the final drive to start out 5-0 ... "The State of Illinois' Undefeated Big Ten Team" was up on the scoreboard, LOL)
Illinois 66, #24 Iowa 63 in Iowa City on Saturday 3/8/2014 (senior year of college at Iowa, and I watched Ekey hit that shot in front of all of my Iowa friends!)
Illinois 53, #18 Michigan State 46 in East Lansing on Saturday 3/1/2014 (watched this in Indy with my family ... refs tried so hard to give it to MSU, and we just kept fighting ... temporarily kept our Tournament hopes very much alive, too!)
Illinois 58, #13 Wisconsin 54 in the BTT on Saturday 3/12/2010 (watched us win a VERY hard fought game to seemingly clinch a Tournament bid ... was in Philadelphia awaiting a flight and going crazy texting my Badger friend)

So ... what about you guys??

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm partial to games that have something on the line and look close and nerve-wracking going into them but end up as blowout laughers that are fun to watch.

With that in mind:

5. 2011 NCAA Tournament First Round over UNLV
4. 2012 Maui Title Game over Butler
3. 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round over Colorado
2. 2010 Texas Bowl over Baylor
1. 2010 Wrigley Field over Northwestern

I was also there. Mikel Leshoure with the most yards ever rushed in one direction in football history ;)

Illini_1979

Oregon
1. 1989 win over Magic Johnson and the #1 MSU Spartans.

Showing my age with this one but it was a "magical" moment even if the rest of the season was not as much fun. And, yes, I was there.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
All the game already mentioned in this thread are great and I could have very easily put them in this list.

5. 2011 game against Arizona State. I believe Illinois' defense sacked Brock Osweiler 8 times. Arizona State looked like an early dark-horse for the Pac-12 that season (before they lost their last 5 to go 6-7) and the win started to generate a bit of buzz about that Illini team.
4. 2013 when Illinois trounced Cincinnati early in the season and it looked like the team might be decent after a disastrous 2012.
3. 2017-Illinois beats MSU 73-70. This may seem like an odd choice but I'll never forget the energy in SFC and how the team showed up that night to keep their tournament chances alive. Only problem was that many on this board knew that a return to the tourney would probably result in Groce staying and continuing the mediocrity train.
2. 2012-Brandon Paul drops 43 on the #5 ranked Buckeyes and the Illini win 79-74 to propel the team to 15-3 and into the Top 25. This would be the last high moment for the Bruce Weber era as the team would finish the season 2-12.
1. Hard to top the upset over Indiana in 2013.

BillyBob1

Champaign

Showing my age with this one but it was a "magical" moment even if the rest of the season was not as much fun. And, yes, I was there.
Make you even older, it was 1978 I’m pretty sure

4. Illinois 65, #23 Missouri 63
Saturday 12/21/2013
St. Louis, MO (Braggin' Rights Game)
The Braggin' Rights Game is my favorite sporting event of the year. The neutral 50/50 crowd, the rivalry, the Christmas theme, the fact that it's usually on Saturday and I can booze for it ... I love this game. So, to see Tracy hit those free throws to help us beat the Tigers for the first time in four years was amazing.

I like your list. Despite the tough times, it's still pretty hard for me to get it down to 5 games. Did you think about putting the Rayvonte Rice buzzer beater Braggin Rights game in there instead of this game? Both were good but that shot was something else.

It was 1979 and yes, that's my favorite moment of Illini sports, even though i've had football season tickets for 35 years.

The whole place jumped 1 row forward. I almost fell down the stairs. Plus, it was a major snowstorm outside.

Illini_1979

Oregon
Yes, you are showing your age. That game did not occur in 1989. You may want to edit your post ;)
Well, too late to edit my post but, yes, I was off by a few (or more) years. Now I really feel old!

Also, I, of course, missed the "since 2010" in the OP's title so my post didn't even apply to the thread!

Now, all you youngsters, get off my lawn! :)

I like your list. Despite the tough times, it's still pretty hard for me to get it down to 5 games. Did you think about putting the Rayvonte Rice buzzer beater Braggin Rights game in there instead of this game? Both were good but that shot was something else.

I definitely considered Ray’s game winner, that was so awesome. Part of it is how I was watching it, too, though. I believe Tracy’s game was later in the day, so it was more fun to watch. Also, I remember being so much more nervous during that one than the one Ray won for us. Ending the losing streak vs. Mizzou AND winning it by hitting free throws and redeeming that past loss where we missed them (blanking on the year, help me out old timers!) puts it over the top for me. I could have easily posted five Braggin’ Rights wins like the poster above me, though! :p Hate Mizzou and love the game that much.

sacraig

The desert
That's easy:

2013 December 21 Illinois 65-64 Missouri (#23)
2014 December 20 Illinois 62-59 Missouri
2015 December 23 Illinois 68-63 Missouri
2016 December 21 Illinois 75-66 Missouri
2017 December 23 Illinois 70-64 Missouri

AhOwPa0.gif

Deleted member 29907

D
1. Illinois 74, #1 Indiana 72
Thursday 2/7/2013
Champaign, IL
This doesn't need much explaining to even the most casual Illini fan past saying the name "Tyler Griffey." I remember coming home to watch this game with my dad, and we were both just waiting for things to collapse. With each passing second, there was a LITTLE more hope that we might just pull this out. When DJ got that steal but then had it blocked on the other end, I vividly remember both of us sinking down, knowing that OT vs. #1 Indiana meant a loss. Instead, one of the most memorable plays in Illini history unfolded, and we upset #1 for the third time in school history vs. our most hated conference rival. Part of me still isn't 100% sure that's what's going to happen when I watch the replay, LOL.

So ... what about you guys??
Agree - the look on Sheehey's face when Griffey scored - priceless