Florida Atlantic 73, Illinois 71 OT POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is not anywhere close to a great program. That narrative needs to stop. Rome was once a great civilization too.

I think you're just a little smitten. Obviously we stink right now. But we are a great program with a ton of tradition. We play in arguably the best basketball conference in the country. The narrative that needs to stop is that it can get worse if someone else comes in and there are more transfers. Despite all the fan boys on here there is not a single player on this roster that can play in the NBA. Every player we have is replaceable.

Despite all the fan boys on here there is not a single player on this roster that can play in the NBA. Every player we have is replaceable.

Which is y he has to coach them up and get the most out if them which he is not. He had stated he doesn't care about star's, he recruits players that want to play here and that fit his system. So he has to coach better and get better results.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
At least Tyler didn't play... Alan and Samba: 0-for... Yeah, sarcasm.

While I am happy to see Griffin get minutes over TU - and his rebounding apparently played well - could have saw this one coming a mile away.

I'm just sad - i don't know what else to say. Losing to Missouri makes me angry - but now i'm just disappointed and sad :(

Illinois Football and Illinois Basketball

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

If you would have told me we were going to lose to FAU to go to 4-9, I would have asked how we made a bowl at 4-8. Just never dreamed this could have happened.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I am trying not to hold BU responsible for all the years of failure prior to him taking over at Illinois. And I honestly thought this year it was possible we would see an much better team then last year, with the possibility of the record not improving much. And I would have been ok with that. But this team does not look better compared to last year. Someone will lose a job. The buyout may keep it from being BU. Jamal Walker will be out for sure to shake up the staff.

I am trying not to hold BU responsible for all the years of failure prior to him taking over at Illinois. And I honestly thought this year it was possible we would see an much better team then last year, with the possibility of the record not improving much. And I would have been ok with that. But this team does not look better compared to last year. Someone will lose a job. The buyout may keep it from being BU. Jamal Walker will be out for sure to shake up the staff.
Agree on the shakeup.....removing Walker would be like putting a bandaid on patient with 4th degree burns.

Winning players make winning plays.

TF was at the line in overtime, up 1 with roughly 30 seconds left, 2 free throws to put the Fighting Illini up 3.

Notwithstanding the fact that we never, ever should have been in that position in the first place, if our "go to" guard, a 77% free throw shooter on the season and by far, the best player on the team, can't hit 2 free throws in that situation, we will not win many games.

He then fouls Agar on the next drive, allowing a 3 point play.

We have no margin for error, we can't have the Trents, AJs, Kippers and Damontes making those errors. If those guys can't make winning plays, we will not win.

To be clear, it has nothing to do with desire. They all want to win. They all bleed O&B. They all care very deeply. They all work their rear ends off to try to get better.

It has everything to do with executing, in the moment, on the court. For some, it comes naturally; for others, it is a learned trait over time. To win at this level, we need to minimize losing plays (turnovers, charges, unnecessary defensive fouls, offensive rebounds allowed, layups allowed) , and maximize winning plays (free throws, offensive rebounds gained, charges taken, layups made, fast break points).

We are a long way away.

TF was at the line in overtime, up 1 with roughly 30 seconds left, 2 free throws to put the Fighting Illini up 3.

Notwithstanding the fact that we never, ever should have been in that position in the first place, if our "go to" guard, a 77% free throw shooter on the season and by far, the best player on the team, can't hit 2 free throws in that situation, we will not win many games.

We have no margin for error, we can't have the Trents, AJs, Kippers and Damontes making those errors. If those guys can't make winning plays, we will not win.

Trent is hardly the problem, neither are the FTs he missed at the end. Trent will make mistakes and Garris was certainly not the problem when he missed the 2 FTs in the BR games. Great players make mistakes and certainly Trent has won games for us to counterbalance those (as Garris did), we just can't expect Trent to carry the team every game. The real problem is that we need more Trents in other positions.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL

I agree with the overall sentiment - and it sucks that the FT's were missed in THAT situation - but Illinois ended up about their average from the FT line - so if he misses those 2 in the first half vs. 30 seconds left in OT - then we don't even make it to OT - that part balances itself out.

What I'm tired of is hearing that we were outcoached after every loss - does Brad Underwood know that it's his job to coach the team - somehow, we played better in games where we didn't have an entire week of preparation to get ready.

I'm not suggesting that Trent is the problem, but missing free throws is always a problem.

OT Free Throws in This Game: U of I: 5 of 8; FAU: 3 of 3 (we lost by 2)

Every close game is separated by a few plays: in this game, the OT Free throw misses stand out on our side (the late 2nd period misses stand out on their side as a key reason we got back into the game in the first place).

I agree completely that we need more "Trents", but if our "Trents" can't make free throws or other "winning" plays in critical in game moments, then our upside will be very, very limited.

We also missed a string of FTs (like 5 or 6 in a row) in the Mizzou game when they went on their run.

SKane

Tennessee
I guess I am missing the "demonstrable improvement" that our AD was talking about.

Maybe someone can tell me where it is hiding.

NBB1979

UIUCFAN1
Springfield, IL
I'm not suggesting that Trent is the problem, but missing free throws is always a problem.

OT Free Throws in This Game: U of I: 5 of 8; FAU: 3 of 3 (we lost by 2)

Every close game is separated by a few plays: in this game, the OT Free throw misses stand out on our side (the late 2nd period misses stand out on their side as a key reason we got back into the game in the first place).

I agree completely that we need more "Trents", but if our "Trents" can't make free throws or other "winning" plays in critical in game moments, then our upside will be very, very limited.

We also missed a string of FTs (like 5 or 6 in a row) in the Mizzou game when they went on their run.

We missed 6 in a row down the stretch in that game - i believe they were our LAST 6 FTs

C'mon, Trent can't make winning plays in critical in game moments? If there is one player who has made winning plays and has carried this team pretty much the last 1.5 years, as bad as we have been, it is Trent. The kid is an absolute winner. Every good player will have some bad moments and Garris certainly did miss those FTs that cost the BR game, yet he was also the bright spot in that entire difficult era. Missing those FTs definitely hurt but let's not generalize.

To clarify, I'm not saying that Trent is the reason we lost this game; however, if our experienced players like Trent, AJ, Damonte, Kipper, can't make winning plays when they have the opportunity, then our probability of winning goes down dramatically.

Sometimes (like Nebraska last year), our players make the winning play, but we still lose. And there's no certainty that we would have won even if Trent had made both free throws (though I would have liked our chances). But the whole point of having the ball in Trent's hands up 1 with 30 seconds left is lost when he doesn't convert the free throws.

Deleted member 8632

D
Trent is hardly the problem, neither are the FTs he missed at the end. Trent will make mistakes and Garris was certainly not the problem when he missed the 2 FTs in the BR games. Great players make mistakes and certainly Trent has won games for us to counterbalance those (as Garris did), we just can't expect Trent to carry the team every game. The real problem is that we need more Trents in other positions.

So let me get this right. You're saying recruiting is the answer?

Tired of hearing Underwood was out coached. Don't listen to his post game he said it first. Every one of these guys is replaceable someone said. Well, if you look at the number of signed recruits that isn't true, yet. Yes, play Kane more. If they can sign January and get a couple more "quality" recruits i think you can still spin what appears will be a really bad season as hope for the future. However, i have no confidence that my last point will play out that way.

How does underwood at UI compare to Stallings at Pitt?

First Season:

Stallings won 16 games including 4 conference games.
Underwood won 14 games including 4 conference games

Second season:

Stallings won 8 games with 0 conference wins
Underwood has 4 wins so far and conference games TBD

Each has/had a 9.4 million buyout after season 2 and have struggled with player attrition and building a roster.

Seems the similarities are many

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
To be clear, it has nothing to do with desire. They all want to win. They all bleed O&B. They all care very deeply. They all work their rear ends off to try to get better.

It has everything to do with executing, in the moment, on the court. For some, it comes naturally; for others, it is a learned trait over time. To win at this level, we need to minimize losing plays (turnovers, charges, unnecessary defensive fouls, offensive rebounds allowed, layups allowed) , and maximize winning plays (free throws, offensive rebounds gained, charges taken, layups made, fast break points).

We are a long way away.

I’m not disagreeing, but the reason could simply be that they are all confused and tentative, except for the pressuring the ball part. But even if they are good at that, they have no idea how to react when the pressure is broken. I think they look lost.

We have had the same issues with the last two coaches so why do you think a new coach will do any better? Also Weber seems to be doing just fine at k-state. I say give Underwood some time.

Given that we are on the fast track to have the worst 2-yr period since 1973-75 (34 years ago) when Harv Schmidt and Gene Bartow were the coaches, we are currently doing worse than the previous two coaches, while recruiting is not going well. So, yes it is indeed hard to imagine doing any worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.