Florida Atlantic 73, Illinois 71 OT POSTGAME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that we are on the fast track to have the worst 2-yr period since 1973-75 (34 years ago) when Harv Schmidt and Gene Bartow were the coaches, we are currently doing worse than the previous two coaches, while recruiting is not going well. So, yes it is indeed hard to imagine doing any worse.
Not that hard to imagine, we could have 4 less wins.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Maybe his hires wil work out and maybe they won’t but that is not the only part of his job. He has probably raised more funds than last two ad’s put together.

Which is great. I hope he extends his network to include people who know college basketball and can help him choose a new coach. Athletes know athletes, even if it’s a different sport...he needs to get some good info and make a better hire. The idea that Laphonso f’ing Ellis gets. A chance to say “I told you so,” in reference to his buddy Clownzo is disgusting.

Recognizing that BU seemed a good hire. All the more reason to dig deeper.

Given that we are on the fast track to have the worst 2-yr period since 1973-75 (34 years ago) when Harv Schmidt and Gene Bartow were the coaches, we are currently doing worse than the previous two coaches, while recruiting is not going well. So, yes it is indeed hard to imagine doing any worse.

Correct this is rock bottom. From Reggie Theus to Kenny Battle no one should ever be mocked again for suggesting a coach because it can't get worse

Not that hard to imagine, we could have 4 less wins.

I have a hard time imagining 0 wins under a different coach (or any coach to be honest) or a worse 2-yr period than the current one that has set up the program 44 years back to pre-Henson years. Unless of course the people who say that we could do worse with the next hire also believe that Whitman is totally incompetent and his next hire could truly be worse.

Someone said it before. “What do we have to lose?” I’ve been saying start Frasier, Ayo, Georgi, Griffin and Jones the entire year. Just scrap Nichols and Jordan. The first five are the future. As Dionne Warwick sang. I believe the children our are future

I think our offense suffers so much due to a lack of a postman that can leverage on the post. How often do we see a pass low to our posts. It puts so much pressure on the perimeter as it is so much easier to guard since our insides can be handled so easy. Until we get that kind of guy we are going to see more of the same.

Watch all the games. Hardly pass into post. One time like to see Kane and Georgi at same time. Heck try 3 big men! Can’t seem to make outside shots anyways

I think our offense suffers so much due to a lack of a postman that can leverage on the post. How often do we see a pass low to our posts. It puts so much pressure on the perimeter as it is so much easier to guard since our insides can be handled so easy. Until we get that kind of guy we are going to see more of the same.

You think? Wait until this summer, the countless posts on positionless basketball will set you straight. We will dominate with our guards taking apart opposing defenses. ;)

I never see a pass to the post
Our guys cant hold position. We need a strong 5 that can hold his own. This makes it easier for others to maneuver when opposing teams have to help inside.

I guess I’m trying to say. Scrap playbook. I’ve been an Illini fan since I was a kid in the 70s. It was fun to watch the “real” Mark Smith, Derek Holcomb, etc... this has by far the worst Illini team I’ve ever seen coached

I guess I’m trying to say. Scrap playbook. I’ve been an Illini fan since I was a kid in the 70s. It was fun to watch the “real” Mark Smith, Derek Holcomb, etc... this has by far the worst Illini team I’ve ever coached. Even Underwood said outcoached. How many times can you say that?

I would like to see Kane and Giorgi at the same time. The defensive scheme will not work, tires the guys out, so they can't make shots.
Watch Michigan's defense, other defenses and learn from them. It is not weakness to learn and apply.

The kids have got to practice layup after layup, and other shots. You can be the globetrotters but if the team cannot make shots, they will lose.
I hate duke, but one reason they win is that they make shots.

keep on truckin

joe

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
I would like to see Kane and Giorgi at the same time. The defensive scheme will not work, tires the guys out, so they can't make shots.
Watch Michigan's defense, other defenses and learn from them. It is not weakness to learn and apply.

The kids have got to practice layup after layup, and other shots. You can be the globetrotters but if the team cannot make shots, they will lose.

keep on truckin

joe

It’s Not just as simple as making shots. These guys have been playing basketball for most of their lives...they can make a shot. But can they make a shot when they are not confident, or understand what a good shot is, or know how to create a good shot, etc. And that is not even counting the obvious talent disparity. Yes, part of it may be fatigue, but I don’t see anything on the offensive end that seems like a cohesive approach to getting better shots.

I guess I’m trying to say. Scrap playbook. I’ve been an Illini fan since I was a kid in the 70s. It was fun to watch the “real” Mark Smith, Derek Holcomb, etc... this has by far the worst Illini team I’ve ever coached. Even Underwood said outcoached. How many times can you
I guess I’m trying to say. Scrap playbook. I’ve been an Illini fan since I was a kid in the 70s. It was fun to watch the “real” Mark Smith, Derek Holcomb, etc... this has by far the worst Illini team I’ve ever coached. Even Underwood said outcoached. How many times can you say that?

keep on truckin

joe
They make shots because their inside strengths require help and thus they get great looks from the perimeter. Just watch teams with great inside presence.

That's why Underwood is pushing hard for top level big men. Unsuccessful so far.

Deleted member 4960

D
You can’t play Georgi and Samba at the same time when you can’t keep Georgi on the court because of foul problems. A lot of our problems extend from not having an inside game. If Georgi would stop making stupid fouls.

Making shots when you're not confident? That doesn't work out too well on the bb court. Part of that confidence comes from the player (the larger part) and part from the coach. There's no formula for that, though. As a coach being around the players and getting to know them can help. Knowing what to say or do and when and how to say it. And right now this team needs a huge shot of confidence. Right now the team is carrying a lot of doubt about themselves, the team, the staff. in my opinion. And somehow BU has to try to help get themselves out of this and believe , again. Which ain't easy.

Cook

Richmond, VA
I'm curious what the Asst. Coaches think about everything. Do they meet with the press at all during the season?

After a loss at home to FAU, I’m done critiquing our players: This is on the staff. Even with youthful, or even marginal talent, you don’t lose this game.

Yes, but shooting ~30% from the floor is on the players. Missing layups is on the players.

Really, when you lose to FAU at home...it's on everyone.

Cook

Richmond, VA
Making shots when you're not confident? That doesn't work out too well on the bb court. Part of that confidence comes from the player (the larger part) and part from the coach. There's no formula for that, though. As a coach being around the players and getting to know them can help. Knowing what to say or do and when and how to say it. And right now this team needs a huge shot of confidence. Right now the team is carrying a lot of doubt about themselves, the team, the staff. in my opinion. And somehow BU has to try to help get themselves out of this and believe , again. Which ain't easy.
Perhaps some sort of a mock funeral would hit the reset button... :unsure:

While disappointing, I try to remember that this is a relatively young team. Not jumping off, will give these kids time.

You can’t play Georgi and Samba at the same time when you can’t keep Georgi on the court because of foul problems. A lot of our problems extend from not having an inside game. If Georgi would stop making stupid fouls.
Maybe with Samba in, the big or foul goes through Samba instead, or doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.