Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
I am looking at things from an outsiders perspective. As soon as I call out this fanbase for not showing up, even when we are a sub par team, I get hammered with excuse after excuse. Followed by negative comments about the product on the field. If you take my comments personal, then you need to check yourself. Tell me what I am saying that is so outlandish, because other football programs that you strive to be like, have this.
I do not hope to be like Iowa or Wisconsin. They are successful teams within the B1G, but realistically will never compete vs a top 10 team. When you fall short of that goal, you end up being Purdue...and Minnesota….and ILLINOIS.
Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State are all fan bases that show up every time. Again, Nebraska was 0-6 and the stadium was packed. "We don't have their history". So what? Is history going to help you find the stadium? That is what GPS is for. I merely point out, having game day fan support is a huge benefit to not just the current team, but also in the recruiting world. We don't have that, other teams we are fighting recruits for do. If you don't want to spend your Saturday at an IL game, that is your choice.
"We should be winning" - don't show up - don't get recruits - lack of a talented roster - keep losing.
To be completely honest, I don't think Urban Meyer is a good coach at all. His team's always play down to their competition and rarely seemed prepared. But they win, because they are the Kentucky of college football. They throw the best athletes out there and let them win.

"this is a ghost town, good luck getting 1k friends to show up, I am not driving 2.5 hrs". I don't care about your personal situation. I am not calling you as an individual out. If this is the product our fan base is going to provide, we are going to have a very low ceiling. And apparently, a very low floor.

Using Nebraska is a terrible example. They've had like 3 losing seasons in the past 50 years. The main way to cultivate fans is when they're students and making it a habit to come to games. Unfortunately, Illinois has been generally terrible for the past 25 years making students unwilling to come out to the games. Since they don't go to games as students they don't come back later. Not to mention Lincoln is a lot larger metropolitan area than Champaign-Urbana. Additionally, nearly 2/3 of instate alumni live in the Chicagoland area meaning at least 2 hours both ways. It's a big time investment for what is generally a bad product.

It truly is a vicious cycle though. Fans don't come because we're generally bad which hurts recruiting which keeps the team bad which keeps the fans away.

Illinivek23

Gurnee
I thought the students in Grange Grove we're insanely energetic against PU. Will be interesting to see what that looks like on Sat for Dad's Day.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Attendance 2017:
Illinois - 39,429
Virginia - 39,398
Cal - 36,548
Pittsburgh - 36,295
Northwestern - 35,853
Boston College - 35,924
Oregon State - 34,754
Syracuse - 33,929
Washington State - 31,982
Vanderbilt - 31,341
Wake Forest - 28,436
Duke - 26,797
Kansas - 26,641

Conference Record Since 2011:
Northwestern 35-29 (.547)
Pittsburgh 31-27 (.534)
Washington State 32-36 (.471)
Duke 24-36 (.400)
Boston College 21-39 (.350)
Virginia 21-40 (.344)
Syracuse 20-39 (.339)
Wake Forest 20-40 (.333)
Vanderbilt 18-43 (.295)
Cal 20-48 (.294)
Oregon State 19-49 (.279)
Illinois 11-52 (.174)
Kansas 4-64 (.059)

But we are currently engaged in recruiting battles for players against Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, Mississippi State

So are all of these other schools. And they're doing it better.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
(Whispers) For the 1% chance that Whitman would move on from Lovie at the end of this season, Lance Leipold needs to be at the top of the wish list.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I am on the Lane train. or Dino

Sadly, I can't imagine Dino would leave Syracuse for Illinois. He either get settled in there or move on to a better job.

Wait, you want Lane Kiffin? Or was that a typo and you want Lance?

Sadly, I can't imagine Dino would leave Syracuse for Illinois. He either get settled in there or move on to a better job.

Wait, you want Lane Kiffin? Or was that a typo and you want Lance?

No typo, He is finally growing up and he can coach some football(offensively at least). Also think he brings an energy with him on social media and in person that Illinois desperately needs in order to gain attention and notoriety nationally and with recruits.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I would want a guy who is an experienced head coach at the major college level but not a guy who failed at a big time place (like Zook). Guys like jerry Kill, Hayden Fry, Joe Tilller would bring know how, a good staff and stability to a program. Then the hope would be to transition to a younger more dynamic coach who could take us to another level. What’s his name from NC State looking to come back to the B1G?

If Rod Smith is good enough to be the answer at head coach, Rod Smith is going to be good enough to save Lovie Smith's job.

At the moment he's an offensive coordinator in charge of the 75th ranked offense in the country, and QB coach for a team who is 108th in the country in completion percentage.

Both of those are improvements over last year, but neither is the mark of some genius at the wheel.

The guy on this coaching staff who really deserves plaudits this year is Luke Butkus, a guy I really doubted previously.
It will take more than Rod to save Lovie's job. Giving up 500+ yds/game every week says the offense isn't the problem that is really dragging on the system.

Butkus is exactly why this staff needs another year, he caught a lot of flack for last year's line that started 4 true freshman counting TE. Even with Alabama level 5 star recruits that doesn't work.

We are still too young and not deep enough.

Last edited:

UofI08

Chicago
I would want a guy who is an experienced head coach at the major college level but not a guy who failed at a big time place (like Zook). Guys like jerry Kill, Hayden Fry, Joe Tilller would bring know how, a good staff and stability to a program. Then the hope would be to transition to a younger more dynamic coach who could take us to another level. What’s his name from NC State looking to come back to the B1G?
Dave Doeren is the NC State coach. Not sure I could see him wanting to leave, but could see him wanting the job if for some reason he was pushed out at NC State.
Got any names for your other example? Guessing people like Schiano, Rich Rod, Butch Jones, maybe Les Miles? Hard to find any that didn't "fail."

Beat Minnesota and Lovie stays. Lose out and Whitman is going to have the toughest decision of his career.

Blow it all up and wait another 4 years for a new rebuild to be complete or keep Lovie one more season and hope we win 6-7 games?

We still have to get faster and more athletic with our edge rushers, DBs and linebackers core. Maryland basically out-athleted us. I think people undermine how long football turn arounds take versus hoops. I'm not saying this staff is getting optimal performance of what we do have but if we just stockpile athletes, the results can change.

Looking back several years I believe than and believe now firing Zook was the wrong decision. Believe hiring and spending for better assistant coaches was the answer. Zook did some lame play calling that made you scratch your head. But they hired a good d-coach and probably had to look at hiring a solid o-coach.

I think the answer again is to hired better Asst. Coaches, I like the Rod Smith hire. My two eyes says the offense is better run than the last two years, despite injuries and departures. Need a top D asst. coach that can instantly recruit and teach the fundamentals. I have found that lower rated players are not always just lower in abilities, but also lower in athletic IQ and desire. Our 3 star recruits are already behind the 4-5 stars athletically/ability, but the IQ and desire has to there.

We still have to get faster and more athletic with our edge rushers, DBs and linebackers core. Maryland basically out-athleted us. I think people undermine how long football turn arounds take versus hoops. I'm not saying this staff is getting optimal performance of what we do have but if we just stockpile athletes, the results can change.

Completely agree, turnarounds take longer when your not Penn State or other top programs who had major set-backs. Lovie was not going to hit a homerun with his first couple of recruiting classes and assistants. We need to see upgrades, sadly I think he has improved our speed, size, and depth. Reason why freshmen played ahead of juniors/seniors. Constantly hitting the reset button at Illinois is not the answer.

I would like to see Lovie though have more of a recruiting impact instate. I can accept losing out to Michigan, ND, and Ohio State. But we need to win the recruiting battles against NU, Iowa, Minny, MSU.

Not scoring in the red zone, and only getting 161 yards in the first half is NOT a problem ??? I don't get it....

He didn't say it's not "a" problem, it's just not "THE" problem. Turn those field goals into TD's and we still get our butts kicked. You just aren't going to win games giving up 700 yds. The offense is middle of the pack. Given what they have to work with, Rod Smith largely gets a passing grade for this season (if AJ Bush doesn't turn it into a run first).

Looking back several years I believe than and believe now firing Zook was the wrong decision.
Can we not start this? Zook was a good recruiter. Heck, Meyer even heavily credits him for the Florida team he left behind. However, his teams consistently under performed. Believe it or not, this program was in a better place 6 years ago than it is today, noticeably so. Firing Zook was actually a couple years too late. His career at Illinois was buoyed (eerily similar to Webers), by that Rose Bowl. There's a very good reason he's been buried as a special teams coordinator in the NFL ever since. You can blame it on coordinators all day, but it's the coaches job to manage that before it becomes a problem, or at least mitigate it quickly.

You want your program to improve, constantly--yes even here. 4/5/6 win seasons look great now, but considering we had legit top 25 talent on most of those teams, you look back and wonder how he underperformed so hard. I believe if Zook was fired in 2010 and a competent coach was hired, we sit comfortably in the top 25 in 2011 and 2012, without that coach even needing a quick influx of talent. Guenther partially lost his job because he lived and died with his coaching hires. Thomas lost his job because he could hire. Regardless of if Lovie fails or succeeds, you can't deny the Lovie hire wasn't splashy and noteworthy. That doesn't really mean crap, but after you've hired Tim Lasagna Beckman and retained a interim HC on a two year deal, there's gotta be some sort of move, and I think most others would've been very lackluster.

Ok, now I'll apologize for crapping on your opinion, but I often tell myself similar things about past coaches, the problem always seems to stem from the fact that you do truly forget how it felt back then.

Can we not start this? Zook was a good recruiter. Heck, Meyer even heavily credits him for the Florida team he left behind. However, his teams consistently under performed. Believe it or not, this program was in a better place 6 years ago than it is today, noticeably so. Firing Zook was actually a couple years too late. His career at Illinois was buoyed (eerily similar to Webers), by that Rose Bowl. There's a very good reason he's been buried as a special teams coordinator in the NFL ever since. You can blame it on coordinators all day, but it's the coaches job to manage that before it becomes a problem, or at least mitigate it quickly.

You want your program to improve, constantly--yes even here. 4/5/6 win seasons look great now, but considering we had legit top 25 talent on most of those teams, you look back and wonder how he underperformed so hard. I believe if Zook was fired in 2010 and a competent coach was hired, we sit comfortably in the top 25 in 2011 and 2012, without that coach even needing a quick influx of talent. Guenther partially lost his job because he lived and died with his coaching hires. Thomas lost his job because he could hire. Regardless of if Lovie fails or succeeds, you can't deny the Lovie hire wasn't splashy and noteworthy. That doesn't really mean crap, but after you've hired Tim Lasagna Beckman and retained a interim HC on a two year deal, there's gotta be some sort of move, and I think most others would've been very lackluster.

Ok, now I'll apologize for crapping on your opinion, but I often tell myself similar things about past coaches, the problem always seems to stem from the fact that you do truly forget how it felt back then.

You took the words right out of my mouth. That 2011 team gave up on Zook with 6 straight losses, some of which were to putrid competition. His recruiting fizzled the last two years as well.

BZuppke

Plainfield
I always find it interesting that Zook's last two years were 7-6 and 7-6 and Mike White's last two years were 4-7 and 3-7-1.
Yet Illini fandom look at their legacies so differently.
Differently because White was suffering the effects of ncaa sanctions and the lack of a first rate QB which was essential to his offense. In his last year they did go up to East Lansing and beat the eventual Big Ten champions. Finally White recruited Jeff George and all of the talent that led to Mackovic’s success. Had White not been forced to resign, he would have been our Alvarez.

Not scoring in the red zone, and only getting 161 yards in the first half is NOT a problem ??? I don't get it....

It's a work in progress to be sure, but substantial progress has been made on this side of the ball. 2017 saw us have an S&P+ Offense ranking of 124.

This season our ranking is 75. That is exactly the kind of progress you hope to see with new coordinator and guys being a year older. Had the defense had a similar trajectory we would likely have 1or 2 more wins and be feeling a lot better with the program.

It's a work in progress to be sure, but substantial progress has been made on this side of the ball. 2017 saw us have an S&P+ Offense ranking of 124.

This season our ranking is 75. That is exactly the kind of progress you hope to see with new coordinator and guys being a year older. Had the defense had a similar trajectory we would likely have 1or 2 more wins and be feeling a lot better with the program.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I always find it interesting that Zook's last two years were 7-6 and 7-6 and Mike White's last two years were 4-7 and 3-7-1.
Yet Illini fandom look at their legacies so differently.

Mike White went 40-26-2 against the Big Ten in his Illinois career. Ron Zook went 18-38.

Their legacies are looked at differently because their legacies are different.

Beat Minnesota and Lovie stays. Lose out and Whitman is going to have the toughest decision of his career.

Blow it all up and wait another 4 years for a new rebuild to be complete or keep Lovie one more season and hope we win 6-7 games?

He doesn’t have to win 6-7 games. We just need to see improvement. As long as their is improvement, you keep giving him a chance. Because the potential is still through the roof.

I just learned the other day that Clemson fans wanted Dabo fired after his 3rd year. I guess him and the AD had a long discussion about what he would do to turn things around and that discussion lead to the AD trusting Dabo for another year. The rest is history.

We have to remember that Lovie has never been a college head coach. It is possible for a coach to learn and adapt. His willingness to let go of both coordinators is a good sign. And the Rod Smith pick looks good early on. Hopefully he has a better understanding of what he needs out of his coordinator position and makes a home run hire on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.