Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the part of the Illinois/Lovie story that doesn't get enough attention. When he was hired at Illinois, JW gave him a very good budget for assistants. He could play hardball. The problem is that being hired in March meant virtually every top shelf college assistant was under contract so Lovie looked to the pros.

Hardy Nickerson is one of the nicest guys alive, a premier LB in the pros but being able to do it doesn't mean you can teach it. Lovie is tweaking his staff.

Adding a Rod Smith caliber DC could make this team dramatically different next year. Steckel checks a lot of boxes.

The more I look into Steckel, the more I like him. Ran a very similar D as Lovie, so it wouldn't be completely different than what the kids already know. Had very good defensive numbers at Miznoz, without having a defense full of stud recruits. He also recruited fairly well at Miz. Not great, but nothing to sneeze at. This just seems like a good fit.

Steckel probably has a ton of connections in Missouri and So. Illinois from his 20 years in Missouri coaching. There are several key Mizzo HS and Jucos we dearly need. Like everything I read. Hiring him soon and getting him making phone calls will be great.

Let's benefit from stability by sniffing recruits from Colorado, GT, UNC, TTech, and schools about to change/lose coaches.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Unlikely, but I wonder if he’s holding out to see if Urban leaves tOSU.

Unlikely, but I wonder if he’s holding out to see if Urban leaves tOSU.

No way. Brohm would've went to Louisville over tOSU, the pull of your alma mater is real. If Urban leaves that's gonna be Ryan Day's job. Day and Schiano would be a very good combo as both are P5 head coach caliber but nobody will hire Schiano.

Looks like Brohm turns down Louisville.....my o my.... The arrow is definitely UP on Purdue.....

Looks like staff is recruiting this week. I was wondering if any of the coaches would be missing from recruiting scene, maybe an indication of not returning. Seeing retweets from Werner, mostly, looks like ward, Patterson, Butkus, Lovie, ahs, Clark are out and about. Didn’t see rod, but he’s very active with Illini retweets, comments. Byrd has orange and blue diamonds at end of his tweets, but don’t see recruiting related. ligs (not sure if I’ve seen him recruit before though, maybe for Blake Hayes). Didn’t see the interim staff wright and smith, so maybe they were really just interim.
Anyone with any additional info?
Could still be early for job movements but ???

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I’m actually very intrigued by Brohm staying at PU. They will lose a lot of offense this year and have been rather inconsistent...winning some huge games and putting up stinkers for others.

He’s got to be the most hyped 6-6 coach I’ve ever seen. If he takes even a one game step back next year, he will lose his shine.

This may have been his one chance to ever coach at his alma mater...I’m truly surprised he turned it down.

He’s got to be the most hyped 6-6 coach I’ve ever seen. If he takes even a one game step back next year, he will lose his shine.

This may have been his one chance to ever coach at his alma mater...I’m truly surprised he turned it down.

We all know who the most hyped 4-8 coach is.

I suspect that he saw the situation was an U of Idaho-esque dumpster fire; that he has a better opportunity to be competitive in the short term with PU. The spotlight is now on him; this is his opportunity to cash in. If he can post an 8-4 season with PU; puts some guys through the draft, he could probably get any vacant position he wants two/three years down the road.

The more I look into Steckel, the more I like him. Ran a very similar D as Lovie, so it wouldn't be completely different than what the kids already know. Had very good defensive numbers at Miznoz, without having a defense full of stud recruits. He also recruited fairly well at Miz. Not great, but nothing to sneeze at. This just seems like a good fit.

Keep Rod Smith, add Steckel, Lovie's first class will be juniors, things seem to be rounding into shape. If we are on a five year plan, year four may look pretty good. I'm just wondering if it is Steckel. If it is, why isn't he on board now?

Any idea when we may hear about a DC hire?
With recruiting we so important this off season the sooner the better.

Keep Rod Smith, add Steckel, Lovie's first class will be juniors, things seem to be rounding into shape. If we are on a five year plan, year four may look pretty good. I'm just wondering if it is Steckel. If it is, why isn't he on board now?
Didn't Whitman mention something about the board having a meeting next week? May have something to do with that. I'm just speculating here.

Lovie said to ask him about the DC hire in a month.

I have heard some speculation that they will hold off until after the December signing period and then make a huge recruiting push after that, which I don't really agree with.

This makes me believe that Clark may not be in the future plans for this staff since he is tied to a number of recruits who we want to sign in December. Otherwise, why not announce it now? Steckel is no longer at Missouri State.

Steckel may want to bring in his own guys.
Did you say that Seckel is no longer at Missouri State. First time I’ve heard that. Did he resign or was he fired?

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

USC: Source tells FootballScoop Clancy Pendergast is interested in hiring Illinois defensive line coach Austin Clark. Clark, who has coached defensive line at Illinois one season, previously spent 2016 & ’17 on USC’s staff working with the defensive line and linebackers. Prior to joining the SC staff for the ’16 season, Clark spent one season as a recruiting assistant at Cal where he played defensive tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.