Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,326      

illini80

Forgottonia
I am forever a Zook fan. He will always be my favorite Illini coach. He was very nice to my oldest son who was an Illini obsessed football fan at 2 years old. Coach Zook was very accommodating and generous as was his staff and players. If you’re nice to my kid, you’re a winner in my book for life.
Same here with Weber. Both my kids were in Champaign those years. Classy guy whether you like him as a coach or not.

#1,327      

Dren1

Glenview, IL
I can’t believe we didn’t even check in with him. Clearly he’s fine taking a non-DC job.

I find it weird/concerning that there hasn’t even been a sniff of a rumor since the Steckel thing over a month ago. It really seems like Gil Byrd DC and Miles Smith DB coach is almost inevitable at this point. Hope I’m wrong.
Control the narrative!;)

#1,328      
I can’t believe we didn’t even check in with him. Clearly he’s fine taking a non-DC job.

I find it weird/concerning that there hasn’t even been a sniff of a rumor since the Steckel thing over a month ago. It really seems like Gil Byrd DC and Miles Smith DB coach is almost inevitable at this point. Hope I’m wrong.
Interviews have taken place/are taking place this week....Miles Smith will almost certainly not be the DB coach.

#1,329      

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

Rod Smith was hired January 19th last year. Just let it play out.

#1,331      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Rod Smith was hired January 19th last year. Just let it play out.

Garrick McGee was fired on December 23rd.

Hardy Nickerson was let go on October 29th.

It's a different sort of delay this time. May not matter to the eventual outcome, but it's a different thing.

#1,333      
This is what I don't understand about the situation. Why can't Lovie just be HC/DC? Why would the title go to someone else if he's the one doing the job?
$$$ Gil or whoever gets the title will have a higher salary based on the title.

#1,334      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
This is what I don't understand about the situation. Why can't Lovie just be HC/DC? Why would the title go to someone else if he's the one doing the job?

The title is a valuable tool to entice a coach to take the job. Being a "coordinator" is a big deal on a resume in a coaching market where jobs change all the time. That's why so many schools have nine million "co-coordinators".

No matter who is calling the defense, we want to dangle a "coordinator" title with at least one of our open spots.

#1,335      
The title is a valuable tool to entice a coach to take the job. Being a "coordinator" is a big deal on a resume in a coaching market where jobs change all the time. That's why so many schools have nine million "co-coordinators".

No matter who is calling the defense, we want to dangle a "coordinator" title with at least one of our open spots.
Which is why simply giving it to Byrd would be so underwhelming to me. We have a P5 DC title with tons of money attached to it. Gotta try to use that to your advantage and pull in a nice upgrade.

#1,336      
Which is why simply giving it to Byrd would be so underwhelming to me. We have a P5 DC title with tons of money attached to it. Gotta try to use that to your advantage and pull in a nice upgrade.

Every time Lovie has had to make a decision on a hire, when we found out how it was it has been impressive (at least at the time of the announcement) and it has been late. The job posting closed recently. Because of HR rules, we must maintain the integrity of the process. I am sure there are good people still waiting.

#1,337      
Garrick McGee was fired on December 23rd.

Hardy Nickerson was let go on October 29th.

It's a different sort of delay this time. May not matter to the eventual outcome, but it's a different thing.
Rodriguez was also fired Jan 2nd, atypical, and we were lucky rod smith was available.

#1,338      
Rodriguez was also fired Jan 2nd, atypical, and we were lucky rod smith was available.
True. And Rod was a great hire. However, “availability” in college football coaching is not really a thing, as pretty much every coach is “available” to some degree. Money, promotion, and opportunity talk. It’s why Miami and Maryland were able to take a huge chunk of the Alabama offensive staff.

#1,339      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I know it's arbitrary but if Illinois doesn't hire a DC and fill out the other positions by the end of this week, I'll wonder if there is an issue. Feels like the staff is punting on a lot of valuable time to connect with local coaches and areas being targeted for recruiting.

#1,340      
Not terribly worried about the coaching hires and Lovie has been incredibly busy and successful on recruiting and transfer front. We have a DC title to offer (Lovie likely calling the D), and coaches are moving every which way right now. We still have what looks to be 3 pretty good recruiters out there selling the brand and the new hires won't take much longer.

#1,341      
Not terribly worried about the coaching hires and Lovie has been incredibly busy and successful on recruiting and transfer front. We have a DC title to offer (Lovie likely calling the D), and coaches are moving every which way right now. We still have what looks to be 3 pretty good recruiters out there selling the brand and the new hires won't take much longer.

And the job posting closed recently and approval from the board takes longer than most universities

#1,342      

illiniCA

DC Area
And the job posting closed recently and approval from the board takes longer than most universities

Have any of the coaching candidates ever leaked? It seems like Lovie does a good job keep things quite

#1,345      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Mike Phair is going to be my guess and now that Indy has been eliminated from the playoffs it will be announced this week.

giphy.gif

#1,347      
I think Kingsbury makes sense in the NFL. It might be premature to have him go straight to HC but that is where the league is trending with the young offensive minded HC. The guy can coach offense, and his ability to do that is in no way related to his Texas Tech record, which is heavily tied to the ability to recruit quality players to Lubbock

No way I'm hiring someone who has never even been an NFL assistant.

#1,349      
I think Indy defense was too successful this year for him to go anywhere. Really picked up second half of year. Reich is stable also.

Indy's Offensive Line was way too successful for Dave DeGuglelmo to go anywhere... what's that they fired him today after his O-Line lead the league only allowing 18 sacks?

I get that Reich is an offensive coach, so Phair might feel a little more safe, but having been hired by McDaniels might have him looking over his shoulder.

#1,350      
Indy's Offensive Line was way too successful for Dave DeGuglelmo to go anywhere... what's that they fired him today after his O-Line lead the league only allowing 18 sacks?

I get that Reich is an offensive coach, so Phair might feel a little more safe, but having been hired by McDaniels might have him looking over his shoulder.
Good point. I forgot he was hired as part of mcdaniels staff. That was a weird situation last year. Ol, dc, and phair were the three hired before Reich. Ol gone after vast improvement. If DC stays, I’m guessing phair stays but ??? ptsviius relations with dc and GM

Status
Not open for further replies.