Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,401      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Whoever is hired and whenever the hire happens, someone will need to explain to me the benefit of waiting this long to make it official.

#1,402      
Do not like. This is getting into the territory of “cant find good coaches” or “good coaches aren’t applying for the job” as opposed to a purposefully long hiring process that is following a set plan.

Didn’t Lovie say after the season to ask him about a DC in a month?

Hopefully this works out for us as it’s a crucial set of hires for him and the program going forward.

I believe we are now a week behind the date we hired our OC last year, so let's not panic.

#1,403      
If there isn't a hire by the end of next week I would be both surprised and a little worried.

#1,406      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
What is the negative to it?

Basic economics. We are currently in a contact period. For every week that goes by without a hire, that equates to 20 hours (estimate) of contact period between the new hires and respective coaches, parents, and recruits for targets in 2020 and 2021. Or, by NCAA rules, prospective student-athletes can be contacted up to six times through February 2nd. Coaches can only contact so many recruits before you reach a threshold of diminishing returns. The answer? If you hire more coaches, it allows you to contact more recruits, spend greater quality contact hours with them, visit more high schools in your target area or home state. Once February 3rd hits, the NCAA enters a quiet period (with a small period of dead period), which limits the in-person contact between college coaches and prospective recruits. At that point, you lose some of the benefits of hiring a coach that have been available since November.

It also gives a greater time frame for the new coach to study tape on your current players, know their strengths/weaknesses, personally connect with them, and various other communication benefits. You also have spring practices, which haven't been announced publicly (unless I missed the announcement), but preparation is needed for what the new coach wants implemented into those practices and what Lovie and the current staff what maintained. Each of these things can still be done whenever the coach is hired, but the timeline becomes truncated.

Again, what's the benefit for waiting this long? I have no issue with Lovie/Illinois taking time, but there have been countless hires made across the country showing that other programs haven't been concerned with the timeline and see the benefit of hiring someone sooner instead of waiting.

#1,407      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I believe we are now a week behind the date we hired our OC last year, so let's not panic.

It took 27 days from McGee's firing until Smith's hiring, not an issue for me and never expressed concern. We are currently at 91 days since Nickerson's resignation.

#1,409      

TEYPAY

Springfield
Is there a limit of how many people can be out recruiting at one time?

#1,410      
Is there a limit of how many people can be out recruiting at one time?
Seeing as the entire staff, minus the 2 (?) open spots and Lovie, were in STL the other day, I would assume no. There are obviously specific times nobody can recruit however.

#1,414      
Whoever is hired and whenever the hire happens, someone will need to explain to me the benefit of waiting this long to make it official.
They will never admit it, but multiple weeks/months of not paying a high 6-figure salary, out of a department carrying a lot of debt, is probably a consideration.

#1,415      
They will never admit it, but multiple weeks/months of not paying a high 6-figure salary, out of a department carrying a lot of debt, is probably a consideration.
I’m guessing he gets a one year contract that ends next January and receives the annual value regardless.

#1,417      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Sadly, this is the only benefit I can think of

#1,419      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
As a public university, don't we have to put out a publically available job posting for x amount of days before even making a hire? I haven't seen one. Or is that just for head coach positions?

#1,421      
As a public university, don't we have to put out a publically available job posting for x amount of days before even making a hire? I haven't seen one. Or is that just for head coach positions?

We do and that process was completed.

#1,422      

BZuppke

Plainfield
As a long time Illini fan I can only assume Lovie’s offerred the job to numerous people all of whom would rather continue to do what they are doing than risk having Illinois on their resume. We will undoubtedly end up with our 357th choice who will make our defense even worse. 😄

#1,424      
As a long time Illini fan I can only assume Lovie’s offerred the job to numerous people all of whom would rather continue to do what they are doing than risk having Illinois on their resume. We will undoubtedly end up with our 357th choice who will make our defense even worse. 😄
Why be so negative until we find the choice, did we not do well with our OC

#1,425      
Why be so negative until we find the choice, did we not do well with our OC
I’m pretty sure that original comment was mostly a joke, but seriously, the job has been open nearly 90 days. Either Lovie is being turned down at every turn, or the delay is on purpose for monetary reasons of the athletic department, or a combination of both. Do people actually think Lovie has been interviewing guys for 2 months and just hasn’t quite found “the one” yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.