Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also at that fiasco. Was undergrad during Moeller's years at the helm, many a Saturday we would be walking around campus, hear a cheer and suddenly realize that there was a football game going on. Many don't understand how low things sank under Moeller.
Moeller's first year was a blight on my senior year.
I didn't like Blackman, until I met Moeller.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Yes it is. Chryst won’t sustain the dominance Alvarez built and Bielema (especially with Russell Wilson) was able to sustain. I would look for Nebraska to be the future top dog in the West with everyone else jockeying for position.

Yes it is. Chryst won’t sustain the dominance Alvarez built and Bielema (especially with Russell Wilson) was able to sustain. I would look for Nebraska to be the future top dog in the West with everyone else jockeying for position.
Russell Wilson played there for 1 season and really has nothing to do with sustained success.

Deleted member 654622

D
Why am I posting this? No clue. Everyone here has their minds made up I am sure. But here it goes anyways. Lovie Smith isnt teaching a defense that has the safety allow people behind him, nor the DE to lose containment, nor a DT or LB or DB to lose track of the football. The players are not executing the scheme. It's that simple. No defense allows those. NONE. They would get thrashed in any defensive scheme with these numerous mistakes.
There ya go. Ignore, bash, delete my post. Go get your pitch forks and start lighting your tourches. The scheme isnt changing and neither is Lovie.

Why am I posting this? No clue. Everyone here has their minds made up I am sure. But here it goes anyways. Lovie Smith isnt teaching a defense that has the safety allow people behind him, nor the DE to lose containment, nor a DT or LB or DB to lose track of the football. The players are not executing the scheme. It's that simple. No defense allows those. NONE. They would get thrashed in any defensive scheme with these numerous mistakes.
There ya go. Ignore, bash, delete my post. Go get your pitch forks and start lighting your tourches. The scheme isnt changing and neither is Lovie.
A good DC will adapt to the talent they have and adjust the D as needed. It appears recruiting is an issue according to your post, so that better get addressed as well. Players not executing the scheme tends to point to lack of development. Lots of things need to happen. Imagine these will be ironed out in his meeting with JW.

I brought up Bo earlier. Used Tampa 2 a little at Nebraska. Great defensive mind. Kind of a contrasting demeanor between him and Lovie but that may be a good thing.
Can you imagine the Faux Pelini account covering Illinois Football? That alone could be worth it.

Deleted member 654622

D
A good DC will adapt to the talent they have and adjust the D as needed. It appears recruiting is an issue according to your post, so that better get addressed as well. Players not executing the scheme tends to point to lack of development. Lots of things need to happen. Imagine these will be ironed out in his meeting with JW.
The great Buddy Ryan would not be successful if his players dont execute. There is no adaptation that gets away with numerous mental errors on the most basic defensive field like shedding blocks, outside contain, and the safety deep coverage.
I agree with the development aspect. It would be nice to see more out of what we got. However, besides really Gay, who isnt playing to their current level right now? Hansen, a sophomore that was hurt all last year? Avery, a true freshman on the D line? Bobby Rountree is having a really good year as a true sophomore.
My point is that these guys are not talented enough at their current stages to compete against legit teams. I dont see it changing this year

The great Buddy Ryan would not be successful if his players dont execute. There is no adaptation that gets away with numerous mental errors on the most basic defensive field like shedding blocks, outside contain, and the safety deep coverage.
I agree with the development aspect. It would be nice to see more out of what we got. However, besides really Gay, who isnt playing to their current level right now? Hansen, a sophomore that was hurt all last year? Avery, a true freshman on the D line? Bobby Rountree is having a really good year as a true sophomore.
My point is that these guys are not talented enough at their current stages to compete against legit teams. I dont see it changing this year

Yes. The development happens in the offseason. I expect that we will see a huge improvement as we add a year of size and experience to the current young group of players. This team should be one year better next year and bowl eligible. I expect us to see a huge leap the following year.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Good coaching produces a team that understands the defense well enough to execute in pressure situations.

Youth is a part of it, but it's not all of it.

Deleted member 11196

D
Some of my friends and I are still convinced that Michigan sent Moeller to the Illini just to make sure that we would sink even lower.

Bo really, really hated Illinois and when we fired Moeller he hated us even more. Having M.White scorch him in 83 almost caused his heart attack to hit again.... Sometimes I think we're still on scUM's hit list....

Deleted member 654622

D
Good coaching produces a team that understands the defense well enough to execute in pressure situations.

Youth is a part of it, but it's not all of it.
Youth is well past the majority of it. If there were veterans on this team then the youth would be masked somewhat. At the end of the day, the players have to play.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Youth is well past the majority of it. If there were veterans on this team then the youth would be masked somewhat. At the end of the day, the players have to play.

There's a decent amount of experience on this defense. There's going to be a LOT next year.

Which is good news. What we need to sustain the Lovie era and keep the program moving in the right direction is for a defense that returns oodles of career starts to make it to around the FBS average in performance. With Lovie Smith as their head coach. That's extremely doable.

And if it doesn't happen, we'll have our answer.

Buddy also was able to adapt. Hansen gets lost vs conference foes. Avery is decent when plays and not picking up 15yard flags. Roundtree is doing okay, but to say he is having a really good year is not accurate. If guys are not talented enough then you need to adjust your style/scheme. Fangio talks about this often. The youth thing gets old when other programs develop better. We'll see how the meeting goes and what direction things take defensively.

Deleted member 654622

D
Buddy also was able to adapt. Hansen gets lost vs conference foes. Avery is decent when plays and not picking up 15yard flags. Roundtree is doing okay, but to say he is having a really good year is not accurate. If guys are not talented enough then you need to adjust your style/scheme. Fangio talks about this often. The youth thing gets old when other programs develop better. We'll see how the meeting goes and what direction things take defensively.
Look at Roundtrees stats compared to all the defensive statistics from last year. He is having a great year. ESPECIALLY considering how bad the defensive has been.
This keeps coming up so someone tell me what defense this team can run where you will still be successful by giving up outside contain and allowing WRs behind the safety.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Mutual interest between Kansas and Todd Graham apparently. That makes a ton of sense. Way more sense than Les Miles, for sure.

Look at Roundtrees stats compared to all the defensive statistics from last year. He is having a great year. ESPECIALLY considering how bad the defensive has been.
This keeps coming up so someone tell me what defense this team can run where you will still be successful by giving up outside contain and allowing WRs behind the safety.
Stats never tell the entire story and I actually assumed you would go there. A good DC would know. Round tree must not being doing well on outside contain. Enjoy the final 2 games. Maybe Lovie goes all Herm and lights a fire😀

Deleted member 654622

D
Stats never tell the entire story and I actually assumed you would go there. A good DC would know. Round tree must not being doing well on outside contain. Enjoy the final 2 games. Maybe Lovie goes all Herm and lights a fire😀
I agree they dont tell the entire story. But when the numbers are going to be that different, it's a good indication of a difference.
No list of defensive schemes?

Some of my friends and I are still convinced that Michigan sent Moeller to the Illini just to make sure that we would sink even lower.

I started at Illinois in 1977 and I have been saying that since 1978. The 0-0 tie with Rich Weiss as the qb was supposed to be the bottom, but it got worse.

I definitely think there will be a solid D-coordinator hired by our AD pretty quickly after our season is over. I'm not sure who the
best candidate is, but Whitman will help Lovie find a compatible person to run the defense. My sense is Lovie really doesn't want
to do it anyway. He can go back to being the figurehead and a young upwardly mobile D coordinator will love the opportunity.

I'm not sure how well Phair recruits, but the idea of him mentoring Austin while DC holds tremendous appeal for me. If he's a great recruiter, make him an offer he can't refuse.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Keep in mind there are two positions currently open. The DC slot and then the one currently occupied on an interim basis by Miles Smith.

One for scheme one for recruiting would make a certain amount of sense.

Keep in mind there are two positions currently open. The DC slot and then the one currently occupied on an interim basis by Miles Smith.

One for scheme one for recruiting would make a certain amount of sense.

Yep and therefore I would like to nominate Mike Phair for DC and Tommie Thigpen as DB coach, if Larry Fedora is fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.