Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UofI08

Chicago
I can't get over how dumb this Mack Brown thing is.
The only way it makes any sense is if the “all star” staff actually happens. You can’t just hire Mack. He has to bring a very good staff with him, and that appears to be what he sold them on.

This is something Illini fans, and really sports fans generally, have to stop believing so easily.

I actually think Illini fans need to start to believe this more. We aren’t on the cusp of winning a national title in basketball or football. We aren’t on the cusp of competing against Ohio state/Michigan caliber teams in football. We are barely on the cusp of winning 6 games. And likely not with the current personnel. I do agree with your point that we should expect more.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
The only way it makes any sense is if the “all star” staff actually happens. You can’t just hire Mack. He has to bring a very good staff with him, and that appears to be what he sold them on.

For one thing, I doubt it will, especially Kingsbury who will have offers everywhere to be an OC. And for two, we've already seen what Mack Brown + the best coordinators money can buy looks like, that was his last half-decade at Texas and it didn't work at all.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Even then it doesn't make sense. UNC is actively seeking out late-stage Zook era, where Illinois spent wildly to bring in top coordinators and put Zook in a CEO role. Why not hire Satterfield and spend big money on a DC, plus spend serious money to bring in a great recruiting staff? Essentially cutting out Mack Brown as the middle man.

UofI08

Chicago
Even then it doesn't make sense. UNC is actively seeking out late-stage Zook era, where Illinois spent wildly to bring in top coordinators and put Zook in a CEO role. Why not hire Satterfield and spend big money on a DC, plus spend serious money to bring in a great recruiting staff? Essentially cutting out Mack Brown as the middle man.
An old, out of work CEO role Head Coach that will depend on top coordinators and finding a great recruiting staff..... Now where have I seen that scenario before?
Difference is Mack Brown and Les Miles have national titles and decades of college coaching and recruiting experience, and connections to many top college coaches.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Random thought: Clark is now the only California recruiter, correct? Wonder if one of the new coaches will be brought in to reinforce that area. If not, seems odd to have one fairly unproven recruiter in an area so far from the home base.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
Random thought: Clark is now the only California recruiter, correct? Wonder if one of the new coaches will be brought in to reinforce that area. If not, seems odd to have one fairly unproven recruiter in an area so far from the home base.

Rod Smith has ties from his time in Arizona.

FT35

Naperville

Byrd is supposed to be the main recruiter for the San Diego area but don't expect him to land anyone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Phair come back in some role. I know a lot of people would see that as a retread but the downfall of the DL play was just so alarming this year. Honestly, just get us back to the 2017 defense and we can get to a bowl game next year thanks to the improved play on offense. This 2018 defense was just so broken which is why so many of us have little hope for this team/program in the near term.

Another downside to Phair is that he isn't much of a recruiter. I know he helped land Woods but I remember reading an interview with Calvin Avery said that Phair wasn't even involved in his recruitment until a couple of weeks before he committed to Illinois. Up until that point it was all AHS. However, at this point we're going to sink or swim with the guys on the roster for the most part outside of a a few possible JUCO/grad transfers (please) and Phair is familiar with the players and the scheme.

Koenning would be the dream for me as he quite possibly my favorite Illinois coordinator ever. i just loved listening to his interviews as he was a straight shooter who laid everything out there for those of us who cared to listen. I know he was happy living in Monticello and wanted to stay here but it obviously didn't work out. I doubt he'd leave Troy for a year, however.

UofI08

Chicago
Koenning would be the dream for me as he quite possibly my favorite Illinois coordinator ever. i just loved listening to his interviews as he was a straight shooter who laid everything out there for those of us who cared to listen. I know he was happy living in Monticello and wanted to stay here but it obviously didn't work out. I doubt he'd leave Troy for a year, however.

I love Koenning as much as anyone, but he’s DC for one of the hottest coaching candidates out there. I can’t imagine he’d take another job until he knows where Neal Brown is coaching next year. His job security would be far safer under Brown.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Byrd is supposed to be the main recruiter for the San Diego area but don't expect him to land anyone.

I wouldn't mind seeing Phair come back in some role. I know a lot of people would see that as a retread but the downfall of the DL play was just so alarming this year. Honestly, just get us back to the 2017 defense and we can get to a bowl game next year thanks to the improved play on offense. This 2018 defense was just so broken which is why so many of us have little hope for this team/program in the near term.

Another downside to Phair is that he isn't much of a recruiter. I know he helped land Woods but I remember reading an interview with Calvin Avery said that Phair wasn't even involved in his recruitment until a couple of weeks before he committed to Illinois. Up until that point it was all AHS. However, at this point we're going to sink or swim with the guys on the roster for the most part outside of a a few possible JUCO/grad transfers (please) and Phair is familiar with the players and the scheme.

The rub with Phair is that would mean firing Austin Clark, since Phair's coaching experience is primarily the d-line. Not saying he isn't expendable, but they may want to avoid further staff turnover. Maybe you can hire Phair as DC and keep Clark at d-line if you see potential in his recruiting.

Dave Stekel has just jumped to the top of my list. DC at Missouri and Miami Dolphins, long recruiting tenure at Mizzou and other Midwest locations (Ohio).

His salary appears somewhat low (under 300K), buyout would likely be around 450K (over two years remaining on contract). Appears to be the experienced and knowledgeable coach we need. Likely coach technician and manager considering his background. The Illini Defense per player doesn't appear too bad, but a coach like him likely will identify serious upgrades and be able to recruit to them.

Stekel makes a base salary of $270,000 and can make up to $135,000 extra if he meets certain goals. The most he could make would be a little over $400,000 as a head coach.
Hardy Nickerson was making $550,000 as a the defensive coordinator.

At the very least he Stekel could receive a $150,000 raise to take a position that is far less tasking as being a head coach. It's possible our position could offer him closer to $200,000 extra a year. Hard to so no to more money and "less" work/pressure and the buck stops here responsibility of a head coach.

Dave Stekel has just jumped to the top of my list. DC at Missouri and Miami Dolphins, long recruiting tenure at Mizzou and other Midwest locations (Ohio).

His salary appears somewhat low (under 300K), buyout would likely be around 450K (over two years remaining on contract). Appears to be the experienced and knowledgeable coach we need. Likely coach technician and manager considering his background. The Illini Defense per player doesn't appear too bad, but a coach like him likely will identify serious upgrades and be able to recruit to them.
And where there is smoke there is usually fire.......interpret that however yall see fit.

Almost all his defense's at Mizzou were excellent. He would be a very good choice and I think we would see immediate improvement from the unit.

Don't know much about his recruiting, but like you said he's been around area a long time

CAIllini

West Coast
What sort of defense does Stekel run? Anything dovetailing with Lovie's approach for those who know more about football x's and o's than I do?

I think Stec would be a great hire. Meet him during my time at Mo State working. A hard-nosed guy who demands a lot out of his guys. He is a former Marine which is why he is that way as a coach. He has begun getting better talent to Mo State. They have had a handful of guys sign UDFA deals to the NFL. Most notable is Dylan Cole with the Texans. Cole was there before Stec but really took off and improved to the player he is today.

The biggest problem for Stec at Mo State in regards to recruiting is the lack of facilities/upgrades. All but basketball and volleyball share a building for coaches offices and film at Mo State (Both basketball teams and volleyball share one as well). The facilities are from the 90s in terms of the weight room and locker room. Mo State football locker is in the same building as locker rooms for soccer and the coaches offices and players have to walk through campus to get to the field for practice.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Mike Ekeler would be interesting from the coaches likely to be fired from the former UNC staff. Defensive guy with a previous experience at Indiana, Georgia, LSU, USC, North Texas, and UNC. He's been on some good defensive staffs, just not sure how he's been as a recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.