Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised he stayed at PU, even if UL is sort of a mess. Heck, if Purdue can turn it around with the "right guy," we certainly can. Whether that's Lovie is an ENTIRELY different question, but it really shouldn't be hard to win here.

Lovie said to ask him about the DC hire in a month.

I have heard some speculation that they will hold off until after the December signing period and then make a huge recruiting push after that, which I don't really agree with.

This makes me believe that Clark may not be in the future plans for this staff since he is tied to a number of recruits who we want to sign in December. Otherwise, why not announce it now? Steckel is no longer at Missouri State.

Steckel may want to bring in his own guys.

I thought Steckel got a renewed confidence from the Athletic Director

https://www.news-leader.com/story/s...l-dave-steckel-msu-college-sports/2060829002/

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
I'm not sure that this is an accurate statement. Almost every Athletic department that I've talked with said the Illinois Athletic positions have a lot of hurdles that make it unattractive. Administration is what I am told is the biggest problem with Illinois

Not "in the know," but that sounds like yesterday's problem. My perception of Whitman's tenure is that he doesn't have patience for that kind of nonsense. I would think Whitman would be a great AD to work for, hopefully the rest of the administration follows.

I'm not sure that this is an accurate statement. Almost every Athletic department that I've talked with said the Illinois Athletic positions have a lot of hurdles that make it unattractive. Administration is what I am told is the biggest problem with Illinois

As others have said, I think that is an outdated claim. Also, it isn't inherent to Illinois; it has to do with who's in charge at any given moment. A school like Iowa State is in a less attractive recruiting footprint, has less money to throw around, arguably worse facilities, a smaller fan base, an even worse history, shares its state with another BCS school (that dominates fandom statewide), has a worse academic reputation, is in a less wealthy conference, has many fewer fans and doesn't enjoy the same media coverage. My point is that if we are THIS bad at Illinois, we are holding ourselves back somehow. And that could, indeed, be the administration, but that doesn't meant it SHOULDN'T be easy to win here (with the right leadership, coaching or administration).

the national

the Front Range
Well Football Scoop is saying Mac Brown is hiring Greg Robinson as the DC...That would mean Gene Chizik is still available
As an Iowa state grad, I am a hard NO on Chizik. He is a grade A jerk. No loyalty and is only looking out for his own career.

the national

the Front Range
As others have said, I think that is an outdated claim. Also, it isn't inherent to Illinois; it has to do with who's in charge at any given moment. A school like Iowa State is in a less attractive recruiting footprint, has less money to throw around, arguably worse facilities, a smaller fan base, an even worse history, shares its state with another BCS school (that dominates fandom statewide), has a worse academic reputation, is in a less wealthy conference, has many fewer fans and doesn't enjoy the same media coverage. My point is that if we are THIS bad at Illinois, we are holding ourselves back somehow. And that could, indeed, be the administration, but that doesn't meant it SHOULDN'T be easy to win here (with the right leadership, coaching or administration).
I completely agree. The only thing I would add to this is that at Iowa state, the fans turn out - nearly a sellout every game...even when the team was terrible. The fan loyalty there is huge and the tailgating has the committed support of both the students and alumni. the Univeristy makes sure to preserve that atmosphere because that’s what keeps the money rolling in. You can bring in campers/RVs Friday and stay till Sunday. If they implemented the rules Illinois has for tailgating, they wouldn’t fill have the stadium.

The rhetoric of it being difficult to get accepted to UIUC is tired and outdated, as far as athletics is concerned. NCAA rules have become stricter in the past decade or so, and essentially brought all public universities onto the same level. If it is harder to admit a student into UIUC than a school like Kentucky or Ole Miss (apologies if these are actually good academic schools, just picked two out of the air, insert your favorite subpar academic college here), its marginal, not some giant leap.

The rhetoric of it being difficult to get accepted to UIUC is tired and outdated, as far as athletics is concerned. NCAA rules have become stricter in the past decade or so, and essentially brought all public universities onto the same level. If it is harder to admit a student into UIUC than a school like Kentucky or Ole Miss (apologies if these are actually good academic schools, just picked two out of the air, insert your favorite subpar academic college here), its marginal, not some giant leap.
Illinois doesn't go by the NCAA requirements for an athlete to get into school they set their own which are much higher than the NCAA standard. Whitman has to really fight to get marginal students but good athletes into the school. He was willing to do whatever it took to get Jeff Thomas into Illinois out of high school. Meanwhile schools like Miami and Alabama are very laxed on their athlete academic requirements because they understand a lot of those kids aren't there to "play school".

UofI08

Chicago
So we’ve had 1 opening almost the entire season, 1 opening for nearly half a season, and a staff that led us to an embarrassingly non competitive season. Why have there been zero hires or changes yet?

So we’ve had 1 opening almost the entire season, 1 opening for nearly half a season, and a staff that led us to an embarrassingly non competitive season. Why have there been zero hires or changes yet?

Uhh why would we hire a position coach before getting a DC? The staff is likely looking at people who are currently on their way to bowl games or the FCS playoffs. Gotta get the DC first. Don't really expect anything to heat up until mid December. That's usually when the hiring cycle starts. Lovie is even quoted saying "talk to me in a month." It makes sense. Focus on recruiting, send out feelers, get kids signed, etc.

I think the most likely explanation is that recruiting needs to finish up and the likely coaching targets may have seasons still going. Both in the NFL and College

Lotta buzz about Urban Meyer resigning after Bowl Game.....health issues. Brohm to O. State maybe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.