Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,003      

Deleted member 654622

D
Well its trending that way. Lovie will be more hands on and is ultimately putting it all on his shoulder if the defense does not improve. Also they are sticking with the scheme and there isn't anyone more familiar with it than Lovie.
I would rather Lovie take the DC spot personally. He has to be the most qualified candidate. Considering the current results, I want to see what this team can do under his system. If he cannot put a solid cover 2 defense on the field, I don't think anyone can at this point. With Rod taking all the offensive responsibilities, I would hope Lovie could give his full attention to the D.

#1,004      
I would hope Whitman forced his hand just like what was done to Zook after the 2009 debacle. He needs to find someone new that can inject some life into this defense. There was no excuse for how absolutely awful they were this season.

#1,005      

Illinivek23

Gurnee
I would rather Lovie take the DC spot personally. He has to be the most qualified candidate. Considering the current results, I want to see what this team can do under his system. If he cannot put a solid cover 2 defense on the field, I don't think anyone can at this point. With Rod taking all the offensive responsibilities, I would hope Lovie could give his full attention to the D.

Lovie called the D against Iowa, but we had injuries and alot of blown assignments in the secondary. Plus the O didn't help at all. It was the Perfect Storm, it seems. What can this defense achieve if we can stop playing true FR, especially at safety? (I believe a superstar CB is totally fine....)

#1,006      
Lovie called the D against Iowa, but we had injuries and alot of blown assignments in the secondary. Plus the O didn't help at all. It was the Perfect Storm, it seems. What can this defense achieve if we can stop playing true FR, especially at safety? (I believe a superstar CB is totally fine....)

i can’t believe that a DC with some defensive tweaks isn’t on the horizon. has anybody reported officially that Lovie will handle the defense personally? we’ve seen that it just won’t work. i would be as disappointed in a decision as i ever had re: illini football. oh, wait maybe not that disappointed!

#1,007      
i can’t believe that a DC with some defensive tweaks isn’t on the horizon. has anybody reported officially that Lovie will handle the defense personally? we’ve seen that it just won’t work. i would be as disappointed in a decision as i ever had re: illini football. oh, wait maybe not that disappointed!

Yeah, those are some pretty strong words. :)

#1,008      
Lovie Smiths defense is more outdated than cordouroy pants.
He needs to let it go and give a new DC a chance to show what they can do.

#1,009      
As far as I have seen it is only speculation from this thread

#1,011      

Deleted member 654622

D
We have not seen that in "just wont work". We have seen that a team full of under developed athletes will get trucked by older dudes. That is it. If Lovie running the defense the entire year does not show improvement with older players, then your comment has merit.

#1,012      
If Lovie running the defense the entire year does not show improvement with older players, then he should be fired.
FTFY ;).

But seriously, if Lovie is going all in on himself/his scheme, he should be held to a higher (defensive) standard this year. I endorse it as a concept, because Rod Smith is already calling the offense. The scapegoats are all gone at this point, as are the excuses. Year 4 or 3, whatever you want to call it, is make or break. No I don't think an ultimatum or a hard win/loss line is set for Lovie, but I do think this is the year incremental growth, needs to transform into something more than hanging around an extra game or two and not looking completely incompetent, then brushing off getting blown out by admittedly good teams because of youth or what have you.

I will accept a rough game against Michigan and a moderately rough game against another opponent, but we need to be in it for all four quarters against the rest of next years competition. Its too soft a schedule and too far into a tenure to keep making excuses, yes even at the worst P5 school in the past 10ish years.

Also, sorry for using your comment that has essentially nothing to do with this post as a reply.

#1,013      
Can we stop claiming that the scheme is outdated please? Syracuse is running the Tampa 2 and it has been pretty successful. It can work here too.

#1,015      

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Cuse ranked 90th in total def.
ILL 127th
🤦🏽‍♂️

Syracuse also runs a fast-paced offense. They are going to give up more yards in today's offensively-driven game. They were 100th in plays allowed per game. The more important stat is arguably defensive efficiency, where there is a greater disparity.

Cuse ranked 36th in defensive efficiency, Illinois ranked 125th.

#1,016      
Syracuse also runs a fast-paced offense. They are going to give up more yards in today's offensively-driven game. They were 100th in plays allowed per game. The more important stat is arguably defensive efficiency, where there is a greater disparity.

Cuse ranked 36th in defensive efficiency, Illinois ranked 125th.
Giving up 44, 42, 41, 37, 36, and about a half a dozen 21+ point games doesn’t seem efficient to me.
Cuse should be credited more for its offensive prowess than defensive efficiency.

#1,018      

Deleted member 29907

D
Not sure what you are basing this on ... our D over the last few years has not been good and he's the guy at the top. This is not the NFL.

#1,019      
Giving up 44, 42, 41, 37, 36, and about a half a dozen 21+ point games doesn’t seem efficient to me.
Cuse should be credited more for its offensive prowess than defensive efficiency.

Did you watch the Syracuse v Louisville game? If their offense took a knee on every play, the Orangemen still would have won. That defense had at least 8 turnovers that game (or near turnovers). Even though it was Louisville (So funny thinking back on last year), That Syracuse defense definitely showcased their abilities.

#1,020      

Juice4

Juice4
Argenta, IL
Tupper made the comment on WAND News that he is hearing the new DC is already on staff. I didn't particularly like hearing that possibility.

#1,021      

Deleted member 654622

D
Not sure what you are basing this on ... our D over the last few years has not been good and he's the guy at the top. This is not the NFL.
If we had an opportunity to hire a defensive coordinator that has been in charge of three dominating NFL defenses, regularly had winning seasons as a NFL head coach and took a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman to the Super bowl, we would all be excited. Honestly if we hired Wade Phillips, everyone would be stoked about his defensive expertise. We wouldn't tell him to run a different defenses. Does anyone think there is a big discrepancy between Wade and Lovie? I don't.
Lovie was trying to be figure head of the team while working with the defense. I am assuming he was not doing all the duties a DC does within their job, like film study for example. I am assuming he was allowing Hardy the opportunity to succeed or fail. I would much rather Lovie Smith be the titled defensive coordinator to answer the most important question about his coaching tenure at Illinois, "Can the Tampa 2 work in college". He is the most qualified candidate to run his defense.
But regardless of the coach, in the end, "its not about Xs and Os, its about the Jimmies and the Joes".

#1,022      

Deleted member 654622

D
Tupper made the comment on WAND News that he is hearing the new DC is already on staff. I didn't particularly like hearing that possibility.
Let me ask this question to everyone who feels this way. What if Lovie takes over the D full on and uses those open coaching spots to bring in top notch recruiters? Honest question

#1,023      
If we had an opportunity to hire a defensive coordinator that has been in charge of three dominating NFL defenses, regularly had winning seasons as a NFL head coach and took a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman to the Super bowl, we would all be excited. Honestly if we hired Wade Phillips, everyone would be stoked about his defensive expertise. We wouldn't tell him to run a different defenses. Does anyone think there is a big discrepancy between Wade and Lovie? I don't.
Lovie was trying to be figure head of the team while working with the defense. I am assuming he was not doing all the duties a DC does within their job, like film study for example. I am assuming he was allowing Hardy the opportunity to succeed or fail. I would much rather Lovie Smith be the titled defensive coordinator to answer the most important question about his coaching tenure at Illinois, "Can the Tampa 2 work in college". He is the most qualified candidate to run his defense.
But regardless of the coach, in the end, "its not about Xs and Os, its about the Jimmies and the Joes".
When Lovie took over play calling the defense he was all in. Most days he was putting in 17 hours with film study and scheming and game planning.

#1,024      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Let me ask this question to everyone who feels this way. What if Lovie takes over the D full on and uses those open coaching spots to bring in top notch recruiters? Honest question
Seems to me the goal should be crystal clear this year. 6 wins and a bowl game or Lovie hits the bricks. Period. There are no more excuses. If Lovie feels he's the DC to make that goal, great. If he thinks Miles Smith should be the DC, whatever. He needs to do whatever he thinks will get this team to a bowl game and he should be aware of the consequence if he doesn''t.

#1,025      
This is absolutely the plan as of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.