Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,026      
When Lovie took over play calling the defense he was all in. Most days he was putting in 17 hours with film study and scheming and game planning.
With "All In" we still gave up 31, 54!, 63!!, and then 24. So I'd hate to see what anything lower than "all in" looks like.

#1,028      
Not sure what you are basing this on ... our D over the last few years has not been good and he's the guy at the top. This is not the NFL.

I think that the biggest question mark about Lovies defense is whether it could translate to the college game. Between the limited practices and time with the system, limited level of talent (we don’t have urlacher and Tillman for example), and the lack of time honing the system in college. Lovie would be the best to do that. But he needs someone to do it with and run the team and administration.

#1,029      
This is absolutely the plan as of right now.
If this is the plan it’s a bad one.
During his tenure with the ILLINI Love has proven that his defense does not work at the college level. After one of the worst defenses in the country, and possibly the worst defense in the history of Illinois football, everyone should know that this will not work.
What makes anyone think that if we don’t hire a top notch DC for next year the outcome will be any different? Lovie will be just digging his own grave.

#1,030      
Seems to me the goal should be crystal clear this year. 6 wins and a bowl game or Lovie hits the bricks. Period. There are no more excuses. If Lovie feels he's the DC to make that goal, great. If he thinks Miles Smith should be the DC, whatever. He needs to do whatever he thinks will get this team to a bowl game and he should be aware of the consequence if he doesn''t.

I can accept Lovie being the DC. Not my preferred choice, but I can live with it. However, I would NOT be ok with Miles Smith being named DC. Not at all.

#1,031      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If this is the plan it’s a bad one.
During his tenure with the ILLINI Love has proven that his defense does not work at the college level. After one of the worst defenses in the country, and possibly the worst defense in the history of Illinois football, everyone should know that this will not work.
What makes anyone think that if we don’t hire a top notch DC for next year the outcome will be any different? Lovie will be just digging his own grave.

You need the horses. We're running ponies. We should be on more even footing next season (operative words: more even).

#1,032      

Deleted member 29907

D
If we had an opportunity to hire a defensive coordinator that has been in charge of three dominating NFL defenses, regularly had winning seasons as a NFL head coach and took a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman to the Super bowl, we would all be excited. Honestly if we hired Wade Phillips, everyone would be stoked about his defensive expertise. We wouldn't tell him to run a different defenses. Does anyone think there is a big discrepancy between Wade and Lovie? I don't.
Lovie was trying to be figure head of the team while working with the defense. I am assuming he was not doing all the duties a DC does within their job, like film study for example. I am assuming he was allowing Hardy the opportunity to succeed or fail. I would much rather Lovie Smith be the titled defensive coordinator to answer the most important question about his coaching tenure at Illinois, "Can the Tampa 2 work in college". He is the most qualified candidate to run his defense.
But regardless of the coach, in the end, "its not about Xs and Os, its about the Jimmies and the Joes".
My main question is and you indicated it at the end - were his dominating defenses because of scheme or personnel. I suspect more-so on personnel and so far i am not seeing high enough personnel recruiting to say he can be successful using that approach in college - therefore, in college you can get more out of players via development and scheming (scheme clearly helped Rod Smith this year). Not saying he can't do it - but I'd much rather hire a very good proven college level D guy than rely on my head coach to perform the day to day.

#1,033      
Giving up 44, 42, 41, 37, 36, and about a half a dozen 21+ point games doesn’t seem efficient to me.
Cuse should be credited more for its offensive prowess than defensive efficiency.

So you're presented with evidence and still choose to be ignorant? Interesting. It may not "seem" efficient to you but you are not the one who measures efficiency thankfully. It is instead measured by a statistical model created by experts.

They held Clemson to 27 this year and 23 last year. They were literally in the same place as us program wise about 3 years ago and now they are a top 20 team. The Tampa 2 works. And with a high tempo offense from Rod Smith why can't we replicate what they have done?

#1,034      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Not hear to judge Syracuse's defense, but here are their defensive numbers for 2018:

Opponents PPG: #76
Rushing Defense: #47
Passing Defense: #111
Red Zone Defense: #26
Turnovers: #1
Yards Allowed Per Play: #82

#1,035      

Deleted member 631370

D
So you're presented with evidence and still choose to be ignorant? Interesting. It may not "seem" efficient to you but you are not the one who measures efficiency thankfully. It is instead measured by a statistical model created by experts.

They held Clemson to 27 this year and 23 last year. They were literally in the same place as us program wise about 3 years ago and now they are a top 20 team. The Tampa 2 works. And with a high tempo offense from Rod Smith why can't we replicate what they have done?

Other than the fact that the ACC is typically an easier slate than the Big Ten, there's no real reason why Syracuse can enjoy success but Illinois cannot. Those two programs are on a fairly even playing field. Both are lower-half-of-the-conference programs that have had moments of success, but generally have been mediocre.
Right now, however, the big difference is coaching. Dino Babers vs. Lovie Smith is not a very favorable matchup for us. It's more than just the Tampa 2. It's everything else. It's the energy, the player development, the scheming, etc. At the college level, Babers is a winner. It's not at all clear to me that Lovie is.

I hope like heck we're a top-20 team in a year or so, but I'm not counting on it.

#1,037      
So you're presented with evidence and still choose to be ignorant?

My apologies, i keep forgetting that looking at how many points a defense gives up isn’t solid enough evidence. Put Cuse in the B1G, and they could possibly have given up more points. But points are irrelevant.

#1,038      

Deleted member 654622

D
When Lovie took over play calling the defense he was all in. Most days he was putting in 17 hours with film study and scheming and game planning.
So do you believe that 3/4 weeks (whatever it was) is a long enough time to see the full benefit of Lovie Smith running the defense? As opposed to an entire football season plus spring practices?

#1,039      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Let me ask this question to everyone who feels this way. What if Lovie takes over the D full on and uses those open coaching spots to bring in top notch recruiters? Honest question

I'd be open to this, just not sure it is practical. Job security is a big component for courting assistant coaches. Lovie is going to be under pressure next year to deliver a bowl-caliber team. Would Illinois be able to bring in top-notch recruiters with the head coach's seat getting warm? It's tough to do unless they are willing to overpay for assistants. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Lovie's assistant coach pool did not increase with the new contract.

The other question: Is it sustainable? Being HC and DC requires a ton of time commitment. How long can Lovie carry that burden before he would have to hire a DC? And this is assuming it works.

#1,040      
So do you believe that 3/4 weeks (whatever it was) is a long enough time to see the full benefit of Lovie Smith running the defense? As opposed to an entire football season plus spring practices?
I am not sure. I truly believe in the its the jimmies and joes rather than the x's and o's. I don't think the football IQ is there, we routinely didn't do simple things that should have to be taught to a D1 football player. The perfect example is Jake Hanson not once touching a tight end when he ran across the middle in the Iowa game. That is something you should learn in youth football or freshman football, no one gets a free pass over the middle of the field that is your chance to re route or drill the opposing player. I think Lovie can teach the game of football but I don't think he thought he would have to go and teach basc youth and high school stuff to these kids.

#1,041      

Deleted member 654622

D
My main question is and you indicated it at the end - were his dominating defenses because of scheme or personnel. I suspect more-so on personnel and so far i am not seeing high enough personnel recruiting to say he can be successful using that approach in college - therefore, in college you can get more out of players via development and scheming (scheme clearly helped Rod Smith this year). Not saying he can't do it - but I'd much rather hire a very good proven college level D guy than rely on my head coach to perform the day to day.
Scheme or Personnel I always think is the question that drives success. It really has to be a combination of both. I agree with your post and also the end game to be Lovie perched up top overseeing everything. I just think this is the only way to answer the question of whether this is going to work or not. If not, move on. If it does, then we will be successful.

#1,042      

Deleted member 654622

D
I'd be open to this, just not sure it is practical. Job security is a big component for courting assistant coaches. Lovie is going to be under pressure next year to deliver a bowl-caliber team. Would Illinois be able to bring in top-notch recruiters with the head coach's seat getting warm? It's tough to do unless they are willing to overpay for assistants. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Lovie's assistant coach pool did not increase with the new contract.

The other question: Is it sustainable? Being HC and DC requires a ton of time commitment. How long can Lovie carry that burden before he would have to hire a DC? And this is assuming it works.
I would think, just my assumption of course, that if he takes the DC job, that will allow an additional $500k that is not going to a DC, to flow into the assistant coaches poll
The other question about sustainability, again assumption here, Lovie as the full time DC would only be short term. It would answer everyone's question about the Tampa 2 and its success. If that question is answered yes it can be, then we know the failures were a combination of the current coach, but more about the players on the field. We answer the Tampa 2 question, then work on getting better talent to play it.

#1,043      

Deleted member 654622

D
I am not sure. I truly believe in the its the jimmies and joes rather than the x's and o's. I don't think the football IQ is there, we routinely didn't do simple things that should have to be taught to a D1 football player. The perfect example is Jake Hanson not once touching a tight end when he ran across the middle in the Iowa game. That is something you should learn in youth football or freshman football, no one gets a free pass over the middle of the field that is your chance to re route or drill the opposing player. I think Lovie can teach the game of football but I don't think he thought he would have to go and teach basc youth and high school stuff to these kids.
I completely agree with this. That, to me, is another reason I wanted him back for next year. I think in his first go around as a college head coach, he was going to make mistakes. I want to see him get the opportunity to adjust. And everyone hates this but adjustments don't happen overnight.

#1,044      
My apologies, i keep forgetting that looking at how many points a defense gives up isn’t solid enough evidence. Put Cuse in the B1G, and they could possibly have given up more points. But points are irrelevant.

Points given up on D are pretty much irrelevant in a discussion about a no huddle, up tempo team that scores a TON. The defensive efficiency statistic (Syracuse is top 40) is a much better representation of the overall strength of the defense. Simply looking at points isn't enough. This isn't the 70s anymore. Offense rules the landscape and has skewed most of the defensive statistics in modern college football.

#1,045      
Opponents PPG: #76 Rushing Defense: #47 Passing Defense: #111 Red Zone Defense: #26 Turnovers: #1 Yards Allowed Per Play: #82 QUOTE said:
In other words a defense that stops the run with strict gap assignments, creates A LOT of turnovers, and forces field goals instead of TDs. A perfect system for the Big Ten. With better personnel next year we can inch a little closer to having a D like this.

Seriously guys. The offense is going to improve next year. All we need is a mediocre defense to be successful. It can happen. Fingers crossed.

#1,046      
hiring recruiters in place of a DC at this juncture shows us that we have failed to recruit successfully so far. we’re too far down a busted up road for that. if this team doesn’t win 6 games i’m out and so are a bunch like me.

#1,047      
I would think, just my assumption of course, that if he takes the DC job, that will allow an additional $500k that is not going to a DC, to flow into the assistant coaches poll
The other question about sustainability, again assumption here, Lovie as the full time DC would only be short term. It would answer everyone's question about the Tampa 2 and its success. If that question is answered yes it can be, then we know the failures were a combination of the current coach, but more about the players on the field. We answer the Tampa 2 question, then work on getting better talent to play it.
The question about the Tampa 2 has already been answered just look at the results this year. I just didn’t see where people are coming from when they want Lovie as DC. We had almost the worst defense in the country with Lovie and Tampa 2!
If he’s the DC it will be his last year as the Illinois coach. I just can’t imagine Josh would go along with this.

#1,048      

Deleted member 654622

D
hiring recruiters in place of a DC at this juncture shows us that we have failed to recruit successfully so far. we’re too far down a busted up road for that. if this team doesn’t win 6 games i’m out and so are a bunch like me.
I completely agree with this. That, to me, is another reason I wanted him back for next year. I think in his first go around as a college head coach, he was going to make mistakes. I want to see him get the opportunity to adjust. And everyone hates this but adjustments don't happen overnight.

#1,049      

Deleted member 654622

D
The question about the Tampa 2 has already been answered just look at the results this year. I just didn’t see where people are coming from when they want Lovie as DC. We had almost the worst defense in the country with Lovie and Tampa 2!
If he’s the DC it will be his last year as the Illinois coach. I just can’t imagine Josh would go along with this.
It 100% has not been answered. What this year proved was this defense will not work with freshman and sophomores filling the majority of the spots. If Lovie's plan is to field first/second year players for the rest of his tenure, then yes, get him out of here. But that is not the plan. Let's see what this defense does with Seniors and Juniors. Then we can say whether it will be successful or not. Remember the ONLY time this defense looked good last year was when we played the other youngest team in the country.

#1,050      

From what I have read, so far, the Tampa 2 needs speed and depth.

A few months ago I came across a comment on Lovie, which stated that he was imagining he has the players he had with the Bears (caliber) while implementing the Tampa 2. Now, I do not recall if that was prior or after our DC left the team. While at the Bears, the commentator stated, Lovie had both speed and depth. Which Lovie lacks at IL.

The question I have is, how much will he gain next year in these two aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.