Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,151      

Deleted member 645583

D
What are Plank, Fencik, Singletary et al doing these days? Aging, just like me. But what a Bears' defense way back. I could see each contributing, especially with the Lovie/Bears connection. And I'm kinda serious. They studied under the master - Buddy Ryan.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,152      
I'm still on the side of wanting more recruiting heavy assistants, especially on defense, though I'm generally more on the jimmy and joes side of the coin. Either way, recruiting momentum needs to at least keep the pace, having a flash in the pan class is great, and I know having a smaller class allowed for more time spent reaching for guys, but it's painfully obvious low 3 star/ 2 star kids aren't winning us B1G games.

#1,153      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Which is exactly why I did it the way I did. Comparing Illinois' small class to other classes isn't really fair due to the way that 247Sports does their overall rankings. Looking at the quality of talent specifically is what we should be focusing on. Not completely disregarding the quantity, but only having 16 scholarships available limits your ability to bring in the 20+ size class that vaults your rankings into the 40s and 30s. Latest Avg.

Avg. Ranking (read incoming "talent") on 247Sports for 2019 Illinois recruiting class after Shammond's commitment last night is 0.8673, which for comparison is higher than Purdue's 25th ranked class with 25 recruits.

Spot on. Ray Charles could see our recruiting is improving and at a good clip, at that. No squinting required.

#1,155      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I'm still on the side of wanting more recruiting heavy assistants, especially on defense, though I'm generally more on the jimmy and joes side of the coin. Either way, recruiting momentum needs to at least keep the pace, having a flash in the pan class is great, and I know having a smaller class allowed for more time spent reaching for guys, but it's painfully obvious low 3 star/ 2 star kids aren't winning us B1G games.
While I generally agree that you need players, the utter lack of X's and O's on D over the past 3 years has me really hoping for someone that can just coach the fundamentals.

#1,156      
Using the numbered ranking instead of the average rating ala IVWilson is bit disingenuous... This is why...per Werner
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/

#illini have a small class and it will remain that way as they focus current 4 spots on transfer targets.

Teams with 15 or fewer commits in rankings

56. Boise State (15)
61. Illinois (12)
68. Oregon State (15)
71. Utah (12)
72. Houston (15)
73. Kansas State (14)
74. Cincy (15)
Perhaps taking the average of the top twelve recruits for each school in the Big Ten would be the fairest way to compare.

#1,157      
While I generally agree that you need players, the utter lack of X's and O's on D over the past 3 years has me really hoping for someone that can just coach the fundamentals.
I think the general approach in CFB is to get coordinators that, while do recruit, are more mainly focused on teaching. The reverse can be said about position coaches. Although the amount of time spent by both are extremely fluid, and from a complete outsiders POV (myself) all that's seen is who the primary recruiter is, and most times that's a position coach.

So I guess I wouldn't be upset with another NFL hire for D coordinator (and by that I mean someone with little experience at the college level, not someone like Phair, who obviously has had success down here), but I would prefer someone who was more collegiately focus in his career. Either way, Lovie's gonna have both hands in the pot this year (and perhaps further). My biggest concern this offseason is moreso related to keeping all the position coaches who've recruited well happy and on the staff.

#1,158      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
F/+ ratings:

Joker Phillips at Kentucky
2010: +3.8%
2011: -18.2%
2012: -21.5%
Mark Stoops at Kentucky
2013: -16.1%
2014: -5.2%
2015: -15.3%

Beckman/Cubit at Illinois
2013: -4.0%
2014: -8.0%
2015: +0.2%
Lovie at Illinois
2016: -25.3%
2017: -45.5%
2018: -39.2%

247 Recruiting Class Rankings

Mark Stoops at Kentucky
2014: 22nd
2015: 38th
2016: 34th

Lovie at Illinois
2017: 46th
2018: 53rd
2019: 66th (so far)

In the era for which we have reliable ways to quantify recruiting rankings and team quality there is no example in which three years like Lovie has had has turned into success. Nothing even close. There are precious few examples of being this bad for three years under one coach period.

Your F/+ ratings are completely missing a couple key factors:

1. Stoops was playing with much better talent than Lovie was in Years 1-3, and it's pretty drastic. Stoops first class is now seniors and just went 10-3.
- Three UI recruiting classes before Lovie and his first class (2014-2017) had 247 Avg. Ranking of: 0.8225, 0.8345, 0.8126, 0.8371
- Three UK recruiting classes before Stoops and his first class (2011-2014) had 247 Avg. Ranking of: 0.8406, 0.8372, 0.8486, 0.8683
2. Lovie has been intentionally playing all underclassmen in years 1-3 (especially 2 & 3) specifically because of #1 above. There was limited upperclassman talent, so he switched to a strategy of giving all of "his" guys experience.

And my thoughts on using "Class Rankings" instead of Avg. Rating is in a previous post.

I'm not saying that this is a perfect correlation by any means or that Illinois will definitely go the route of Kentucky under Lovie. I'm just saying that it's a recipe for success. Let a coach build a program over several years, institute a culture and system, and give it time to see how it works. The recruiting is trending in the right direction for Lovie. Now it's up to him to make sure the right coaches are in place to game plan, continue recruiting, and coach these kids up to their full potential. Will that happen? Will Illinois end up 10-3 in a few years? Remains to be seen.

#1,159      

Deleted member 654622

D
Are you patting yourself on the back for point #3 (Shammond Cooper)? Because you whiffed on #1 and #7 and the rest are T.B.D.
OK I know not all are going to be right. But I still feel pretty good about my way over the top optimistic outlook for Lovie's tenure.
Excuse me while I ….
tommyboy.gif

#1,160      

FT35

Naperville
What are the thoughts on Terry Hawthorne becoming an assistant coach as the DB coach? Coaches at ESTL and I think he would be an excellent recruiter. Also, think it would help lock down the STL area.

I think Graduate Assistant makes more sense. He was/is a position coach at ESL. The high school coaches we hired as position coaches were at least Coordinators (Abraham) or Head Coaches (Cory).

Terry could start at Graduate Assistant and then work his way up. These are jobs that pay $250,000+/year so they shouldn't be handed out like candy. However, we should do whatever we can to get a guy like Terry back in the program.

I believe the job postings for one of the assistant positions as well as Graduate Assistant close today so maybe we hear more about this soon?

#1,163      

Deleted member 654622

D
I did read that, Dude. I'm just kind of surprised you were patting yourself on the back for going 1 out of 3, and the 1 was pretty close to a given (100% CB).
Really, your surprised by anyone patting themselves on the back here?
And Shammond was not pretty close to a given back in October

#1,164      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
What are Plank, Fencik, Singletary et al doing these days? Aging, just like me. But what a Bears' defense way back. I could see each contributing, especially with the Lovie/Bears connection. And I'm kinda serious. They studied under the master - Buddy Ryan.

It's funny that people are complaining about how Lovie's defense is outdated and one of the suggestions is going to an even further outdated defensive scheme! :) We need to be progressively pushing the envelope here for what works in NCAA football, not living in the NFL glory days of the mid-80s, no offense to some of my favorite NFL players and team ever.

#1,165      
There's some talk that the now former? DC at West Virginia could be our next DC:

https://247sports.com/Coach/Tony-Gibson-331/

Good friends with Rod Smith but runs a different scheme than what we currently have. I believe he runs the 3-3-5 which is something we haven't been recruiting to at all.
Is Gibson's son still an assistant for Rod Smith? I imagine Gibson would have to run Lovie's defense, since Lovie has pretty much said that the defense is proven. I don't think of West Virginia having great defenses, or have they?

#1,166      

FT35

Naperville
Is Gibson's son still an assistant for Rod Smith? I imagine Gibson would have to run Lovie's defense, since Lovie has pretty much said that the defense is proven. I don't think of West Virginia having great defenses, or have they?

Yes, I believe Gibson's son is still an analyst here.

However, just from doing some searches it seems like Gibson could stay. He supposedly told a WVU recruit that he is staying:

This was before Brown announced as being hired and Brown may have been told that he doesn't have to retain anyone on the staff. He could also bring along Koenning.

Gibson's Defenses have not been good the past couple of years but they are in the Big 12 so that isn't all that shocking. West Virginia's Defensive S&P+ rankings for the past four years are:

2015 - 30
2016 - 37
2017 - 96
2018 - 80

This is probably as good of a hire as we could get at this point. I wouldn't want the 3-3-5 base since that was shredded when he was at Michigan but I wouldn't think that would be on the table if he comes here.

If the salary listed on his profile is accurate then he could get a nice pay bump here.

#1,170      
How about Hoke from Tampa bay, former Florida and South Carolina DC. His son is a DB coach in Texas. Like Hoke or Stekel.

#1,173      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Reading his bio, I would think he is on an upward trajectory. Wonder if Lovie can get him to come?
Ansley had agreed to be the DC at Colorado State last year and then bailed on them to take the DB position with Gruden. Not sure what his career goals are but interesting that he walked away from a college DC position once already to take a lesser position in the NFL.

#1,174      
Any idea when we will hear about a DC hire?
Seems like it’s been a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.