Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,178      

Collegeguy

O’Fallon
AFCA convention started today. The dominos will start falling. If things linger past next weekend then whoever is the desired candidate is likely in the NFL playoffs or holding off for an NFL job.

#1,179      

Deleted member 633632

D
I really hope the writer from SB NATION is right! Lovie literally lapped just about everybody in this recruiting cycle besides the OSU's and Michigan's of the world, when we all thought (we) he was dead in the water...

Go Illini! 🔶🔷

#1,180      

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
It's funny that people are complaining about how Lovie's defense is outdated and one of the suggestions is going to an even further outdated defensive scheme! :) We need to be progressively pushing the envelope here for what works in NCAA football, not living in the NFL glory days of the mid-80s, no offense to some of my favorite NFL players and team ever.

Didn't know until today that the Colts' defense has gone back to the Tampa 2 under Eberflus with great success. Still not quite outdated yet :cool:

#1,181      
Didn't know until today that the Colts' defense has gone back to the Tampa 2 under Eberflus with great success. Still not quite outdated yet :cool:

Doesn’t mean colleges can run it. But I’m sure if lovie gets the chance, he can figure it out

#1,182      
Doesn’t mean colleges can run it. But I’m sure if lovie gets the chance, he can figure it out

What ever the scheme was the last 3 years we just haven't had the players to run it correctly. We will have an older group next year, I expect better positioning and better reads.

#1,183      
Ansley had agreed to be the DC at Colorado State last year and then bailed on them to take the DB position with Gruden. Not sure what his career goals are but interesting that he walked away from a college DC position once already to take a lesser position in the NFL.

I used to have season tickets to CSU. Pretty good O but, they have not had a good defense in years. I'm wondering why Gilmore took a position there with the DL he has to work with. Ansley might have seen CSU as a career killer.

#1,184      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
What ever the scheme was the last 3 years we just haven't had the players to run it correctly. We will have an older group next year, I expect better positioning and better reads.

Yes, but the primary issue was that our D has been simply overmatched athletically (stronger, faster, quicker, stamina-wise). That athletic deficit is decreasing, so our results should be better. Hopefully, markedly better.

#1,185      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I used to have season tickets to CSU. Pretty good O but, they have not had a good defense in years. I'm wondering why Gilmore took a position there with the DL he has to work with. Ansley might have seen CSU as a career killer.
Probably right. Plus it would likely have been a pay cut. Thought I saw he was making 400K at Alabama and it's doubtful CSU could afford that. Their current DC is at 325, I believe, and is by far their highest paid asst coach.

#1,187      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm not saying that this is a perfect correlation by any means or that Illinois will definitely go the route of Kentucky under Lovie. I'm just saying that it's a recipe for success. Let a coach build a program over several years, institute a culture and system, and give it time to see how it works.

Listen, I'm fine with the fourth year for Lovie, as I said at the time. I think it was, considering all of the factors at play, a difficult but correct decision, and I admire Whitman's putting himself in front of the firing squad with that savvy no-buyout extension.

But if we're going to be making comparisons to other cases we need to do so as objectively and rigorously as possible and Mark Stoops ain't it.

Mike MacIntryre at Colorado is the closest, though now that he ended up getting fired that loses a bit of luster. Mark Stoops might not be the wunderkind for long either (though I'd have my money on him being in a different job this time next year).

The probabilities indicate that the coach who has been just unrepentant flaming garbage on the field for every second of his three years here isn't going to be able to turn the ship all the way around. But we're hopefully going to have the kind of roster next year to give us a chance at flipping that probability, and we'll certainly have the schedule to do it. That's why sports are fun, let's go out there and take a shot at it. I'd be overjoyed to see Lovie succeed.

#1,189      
Listen, I'm fine with the fourth year for Lovie, as I said at the time. I think it was, considering all of the factors at play, a difficult but correct decision, and I admire Whitman's putting himself in front of the firing squad with that savvy no-buyout extension.

But if we're going to be making comparisons to other cases we need to do so as objectively and rigorously as possible and Mark Stoops ain't it.

Mike MacIntryre at Colorado is the closest, though now that he ended up getting fired that loses a bit of luster. Mark Stoops might not be the wunderkind for long either (though I'd have my money on him being in a different job this time next year).

The probabilities indicate that the coach who has been just unrepentant flaming garbage on the field for every second of his three years here isn't going to be able to turn the ship all the way around. But we're hopefully going to have the kind of roster next year to give us a chance at flipping that probability, and we'll certainly have the schedule to do it. That's why sports are fun, let's go out there and take a shot at it. I'd be overjoyed to see Lovie succeed.

I agree that there aren’t similar cases. There are too many moving pieces. How often does a coach get fired immediately before he football season (Beckman) and so many other hiccups along the way? This is unique.

Although there are people that wanted lovie gone last season. I think it is premature. He has shown growth in most areas, recruiting, scheming, relationship building, etc. and the program needs stability. But the stability has to be based on someone that can win. I think, that if Lovie doesn’t show improvement this season, he will be let go.

But what is improvement? Most want a bowl game. I think this is probably realistic. But I can think of many scenarios where we win 5 and we would benefit with Lovie has head coach. But giving up 50 points a game (without putting up more), would be unacceptable. Losing 5 games by 3 or less and winning 5 games would probably allow him to stay. Ultimately, if we are competitive thoughout the season, I would want another year. To me, that would be a big step up. Especially with solid recruits

#1,190      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I agree that there aren’t similar cases. There are too many moving pieces. How often does a coach get fired immediately before he football season (Beckman) and so many other hiccups along the way? This is unique.

Although there are people that wanted lovie gone last season. I think it is premature. He has shown growth in most areas, recruiting, scheming, relationship building, etc. and the program needs stability. But the stability has to be based on someone that can win. I think, that if Lovie doesn’t show improvement this season, he will be let go.

But what is improvement? Most want a bowl game. I think this is probably realistic. But I can think of many scenarios where we win 5 and we would benefit with Lovie has head coach. But giving up 50 points a game (without putting up more), would be unacceptable. Losing 5 games by 3 or less and winning 5 games would probably allow him to stay. Ultimately, if we are competitive thoughout the season, I would want another year. To me, that would be a big step up. Especially with solid recruits
I've been saying bowl game or bust, but I could get behind the scenario you present here. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I have zero say in the matter. I wonder whether the real movers and shakers are willing to accept another season without a bowl game. If we see something that really looks like progress on the field, I sure hope we can continue to be patient.

#1,191      
I've been saying bowl game or bust, but I could get behind the scenario you present here. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I have zero say in the matter. I wonder whether the real movers and shakers are willing to accept another season without a bowl game. If we see something that really looks like progress on the field, I sure hope we can continue to be patient.

Whitman is going to observe the program and make a call at the end of the season. Assuming their is considerable improvement and recruiting is strong, I see Whitman holding position and letting Lovie have a 5th year.

#1,192      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Whitman is going to observe the program and make a call at the end of the season. Assuming their is considerable improvement and recruiting is strong, I see Whitman holding position and letting Lovie have a 5th year.
I really hope Lovie makes this a very easy decision for Whitman (in a good way). The decisions on the defensive coaching could really go a longs ways to helping Lovie.

#1,193      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

I'll go a step further: Whitman will stay the course, unless there's little improvement. Obviously, little improvement is subjective. But the football program is a long play and Whitman's got a very large investment in it. There's no way he's overturning the apple cart unless he's convinced the current regime has failed. Patience is a virtue.

#1,195      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

The timing of Lovie's hiring severing the traditional relationship between seasons on the field and recruiting classes in terms of a coach making an impact on a program makes it a unique and tough to compare case, there's no question about that. All the other cases have clear Year 1, Year 2, etc and Lovie doesn't. But the idea that the Illinois inherited by Lovie was a unique, singular dumpster fire from which no reasonable expectations could exist is and has always been total and utter bunk. We should have been better and it is this staff's fault that we weren't. Time to improve.

I'll go a step further: Whitman will stay the course, unless there's little improvement. Obviously, little improvement is subjective. But the football program is a long play and Whitman's got a very large investment in it. There's no way he's overturning the apple cart unless he's convinced the current regime has failed. Patience is a virtue.

Whitman has a boss, just like the rest of us. And he is also answerable to the financial condition of his department. Yes, in certain quarters it is cool and daring to show your virtue by defying conventional wisdom and refusing to fire the guy who you're paying eye-watering millions to continually trot out an embarrassment of a football team, but the farce can only carry on so long. And I don't think Whitman is necessarily as irrationally loyal and stubborn as he's portrayed. It was a painful personal moment for him to fire John Groce, but he did what was in the best interests of the program, the University and the kids on the team. I have faith that he won't be too proud to do so again.

#1,196      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Whitman has a boss, just like the rest of us. And he is also answerable to the financial condition of his department. Yes, in certain quarters it is cool and daring to show your virtue by defying conventional wisdom and refusing to fire the guy who you're paying eye-watering millions to continually trot out an embarrassment of a football team, but the farce can only carry on so long. And I don't think Whitman is necessarily as irrationally loyal and stubborn as he's portrayed. It was a painful personal moment for him to fire John Groce, but he did what was in the best interests of the program, the University and the kids on the team. I have faith that he won't be too proud to do so again.

Very happy that you aren't the AD and Whitman is. Love your handle and avatar though.

#1,197      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Very happy that you aren't the AD and Whitman is. Love your handle and avatar though.

#Gritty4Lyfe

We could argue for days on what constitutes "progress" and what different outcomes would mean going forward (I find the idea that we've suddenly "figured out" recruiting and that that would carry through another dreary empty-stadium losing season a bit fanciful, for example), but I would also add that I think Illini fans have developed an irrational fear of "turning over the apple cart" due to some of the terrible coaches and AD's and broad strategies we've had.

It's clear in reading posts here (and even more so on Robert's Illiniboard blog) that everybody's mental shorthand is that when Lovie gets fired the 2-3 years following that are automatically humiliating 2-10's. Part of the wisdom of what Lovie has been doing here is that he'd hand a roster to the next coach where that isn't the case, to the extent that's ever the case, which is really exaggerated.

Whoever is the Illini coach in 2020 will have a much, MUCH more favorable situation than Jeff Brohm had at Purdue in 2017, to use one oft-cited example.

#1,198      
Ultimately, we haven’t had a great team the last few years. But I’m not sure that Love didn’t inherit a dumpster fire. We had a handful of D1 talent that were underclassmen when Lovie took over (with the exception of running back and D line) And, if he were to leave next year, the next coach will have a team that could compete for the big west in 2020.

The question is whether Lovie could. He came into the program in an odd situation and has had to learn the college system (number of practices, recruiting, etc.). Unlike hiring another college coach, we brought in someone with success in the nfl. Many thought it was a gamble. Partly, because of the expectation that we win right away. We have not played exceptionally well the last few years. And I attribute that to learning process. This upcoming year is important. If we are a middle of the road team it will show. If we are improving it will show. This next ear is not like last year. We don’t have glaring holes in or defense that teams take advantage of. We may not be complete, but the team should be serviceable.

We will see how things play out this upcoming year.

#1,199      

Deleted member 654622

D
#Gritty4Lyfe

We could argue for days on what constitutes "progress" and what different outcomes would mean going forward (I find the idea that we've suddenly "figured out" recruiting and that that would carry through another dreary empty-stadium losing season a bit fanciful, for example), but I would also add that I think Illini fans have developed an irrational fear of "turning over the apple cart" due to some of the terrible coaches and AD's and broad strategies we've had.
I would point out that out of all the variables involved in college football, this is one of the high impact ones that us fans control. I would say an electric full-stadium would absolutely impact any potential recruits. I won't say these things however due to the backlash I would receive, followed by countless excuses after excuse that frankly I don't care about. So I will say nothing. Or at least I will say nothing after someone deletes my post for disturbing some's self righteousness.
See you at the stadium

#1,200      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I would point out that out of all the variables involved in college football, this is one of the high impact ones that us fans control. I would say an electric full-stadium would absolutely impact any potential recruits. I won't say these things however due to the backlash I would receive, followed by countless excuses after excuse that frankly I don't care about. So I will say nothing. Or at least I will say nothing after someone deletes my post for disturbing some's self righteousness.
See you at the stadium
That empty stadium will become not so empty in a hurry if we can just WIN. Really that's all there is to it. An early win in a game that maybe most aren't expecting us to win would go a long way in restoring hope, and really hope is all the fans need to return and fill those stands. That's what filled the stadium in the UNC game a few years back and perhaps knocking off a decent team in a game nobody expects us to win can get us that fan mojo back. I think next year we'll see plenty to restore our hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.