Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,378      
I would take that. And it makes sense. He has ties to Lovie through Mel Tucker

There wasn't any coaching crossover that I found between the two. Is there something I missed? I think Valai is a really good fit because of his deep ties to Dallas high school recruiting and his recruiting experience in Georgia. I would be happy with this hire

#1,380      

Deleted member 654622

D
There wasn't any coaching crossover that I found between the two. Is there something I missed? I think Valai is a really good fit because of his deep ties to Dallas high school recruiting and his recruiting experience in Georgia. I would be happy with this hire
I incorrectly thought Mel was in Chicago under Lovie. He was the D coordinator under Trestman. That is my bad

#1,381      

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah no way this guy could be a DC. He's never even been a position coach. But he seems like he'd be a solid choice for an assistant spot
I mean, let's not say no way. He has some NFL experience, apparently was top end recruiter for Georgia, is young, and Lovie will be calling the defense. So yes I could see him getting the D Coordinator job. If your going to pull top end arse to Illinois, you need to sweeten the pot.

#1,384      
I mean, let's not say no way. He has some NFL experience, apparently was top end recruiter for Georgia, is young, and Lovie will be calling the defense. So yes I could see him getting the D Coordinator job. If your going to pull top end arse to Illinois, you need to sweeten the pot.

He was quality control at both UGA and now with KC. A promotion to a position coach is sweetening the pot

#1,388      

illini80

Forgottonia
I wonder what the reason for the lack of announcements is. Or maybe the rumors that people have been hired are just rumors and no truth to them.

#1,390      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
Why couldnt we just get Mel Tucker.
Couple reasons why not come to mind. First, we couldn't afford the $5 million buyout from CU. Second, his goal for years has been to be a head coach. He's going to walk away from a dream job and $15 million in salary to take the DC-in-name-only job at Illinois for a coach that most non-Kool-aid drinkers see as squarely on the hot seat?

#1,392      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

Do not like. This is getting into the territory of “cant find good coaches” or “good coaches aren’t applying for the job” as opposed to a purposefully long hiring process that is following a set plan.

Didn’t Lovie say after the season to ask him about a DC in a month?

Hopefully this works out for us as it’s a crucial set of hires for him and the program going forward.

#1,393      
Do not like. This is getting into the territory of “cant find good coaches” or “good coaches aren’t applying for the job” as opposed to a purposefully long hiring process that is following a set plan.

Hopefully this works out for us as it’s a crucial set of hires for him and the program going forward.
Plenty of good coaches still available and plenty of young coaches would like a DC title under Lovie. It would look great on future resumes.

#1,396      

I don't think we are too far out from the job posting closing date. But it does seem long.

Status
Not open for further replies.