Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,576      
Although I don't fully agree with Blockhead, I think he has a valid opinion. There is reason to believe that Miles was hired (a recruit said that was the case). But a good DC would cover it all.

#1,577      

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
Although I don't fully agree with Blockhead, I think he has a valid opinion. There is reason to believe that Miles was hired (a recruit said that was the case). But a good DC would cover it all.

Agreed, however until it's made official things can change or the recruit may not have understood/spoken correctly.....we shall see.....hopefully soon!

#1,578      

We don't have another position, do we? We just hired a DB coach, we might have hired Miles for the LB position, and then we need to hire a RB coach. That's it, right? Also, while I also don't fully agree with blockhead, he is correct. Some people I worked with at Illinois that moved on into the coaching world had some pretty outlandish details in their bios about their time at Illinois--stuff I know they were barely a part of, if at all.

#1,579      
We don't have another position, do we? We just hired a DB coach, we might have hired Miles for the LB position, and then we need to hire a RB coach. That's it, right? Also, while I also don't fully agree with blockhead, he is correct. Some people I worked with at Illinois that moved on into the coaching world had some pretty outlandish details in their bios about their time at Illinois--stuff I know they were barely a part of, if at all.
That’s the point. On its own, the hire is fine and possibly an upgrade from Abraham. But in the big picture, what the heck are we doing with the defensive staff? Do people realize if the Miles Smith hire is true, the entire defensive staff will have a combined 4 years of college assistant coaching experience? 1 for Byrd and Clark, 2 for Hudson, and 0 for Miles. And 3 of them played major roles on one of the worst P5 defenses in the country last year. Sorry I’m not blindly optimistic about everything illini.

#1,582      
I lean more towards blockheads view. Of course the DC could change my mind. But if he is on staff we are overpaying for the coaches we have. I expected better.
you guys was saying that we need as top notch recruiter and now we got one with tie to one of the best football states and you guys are mad come on now he can help us get more guys like seth Coleman like clark a high risk high reward guy

#1,585      
I'm sorry to be a contrarian, but this Hudson hire looks like picking low hanging fruit. Where are you guys getting that he is a top notch/great recruiter? Is it because his bio states: "He was an important cog in USC’s recruiting machine both identifying talent and dealing with prospects on campus?" Are those the tasks one would normally single out to identify someone as a great recruiter? Anyone able to factually state his duties while "dealing with prospects on campus?" Who has he brought to FAU that he should garner such accolades? Help me out. I'm not seeing it.

And to those hoping for a great DC hire, please keep in mind that Lovie has stated that his defense is proven and he will be looking for someone with a similar viewpoint. His first DC did not have any prior experience actually coordinating a defense.

#1,587      

illini80

Forgottonia
Guess it’s at least a hire. Does Byrd even recruit. Hard to think he gets a DC title.
Having followed Byrd on twitter for a while, I’m sure he’s a good dude, but doesn’t seem like the kind of guy many recruits would gravitate to.

#1,588      
Blockhead....lol let’s just leave him be guys.

The Hudson hire is fine on it's own, although it should be obvious that as an admin asst he wasnt exactly the reason talented guys committed to USC. He seems like a high energy guy, he likely has good connections in FL/CA, and he can learn from Byrd.

But if the other hire is Miles? Then we have an extreme lack of college experience of the staff, and Lovie would seemingly have to be the DC. It's certainly fair to question that, if that ends up happening.

I'm still hoping Marcus Freeman will get hired as DC/LB coach

#1,589      
The Hudson hire is fine on it's own, although it should be obvious that as an admin asst he wasnt exactly the reason talented guys committed to USC. He seems like a high energy guy, he likely has good connections in FL/CA, and he can learn from Byrd.

But if the other hire is Miles? Then we have an extreme lack of college experience of the staff, and Lovie would seemingly have to be the DC. It's certainly fair to question that, if that ends up happening.

I'm starting to think Miles is the new DC :oops::oops::giggle:

#1,590      

Been told Hudson played a big part in landed some talent at USC...don’t take his title there for its word. As for the DC Is it that hard to realize that Lovie is going to be the DC no matter who he hired or could’ve hired.

#1,591      
That’s the point. On its own, the hire is fine and possibly an upgrade from Abraham. But in the big picture, what the heck are we doing with the defensive staff? Do people realize if the Miles Smith hire is true, the entire defensive staff will have a combined 4 years of college assistant coaching experience? 1 for Byrd and Clark, 2 for Hudson, and 0 for Miles. And 3 of them played major roles on one of the worst P5 defenses in the country last year. Sorry I’m not blindly optimistic about everything illini.

Hudson is the kind of person we want as position coach, young, ambitious, and hungry. He didn’t end up st usc on accident. And, he developed relationships that, when bolstered with Lovies celebrity, can pay dividends. Assuming miles is the coach, it is what it is. In the end, if Lovie fails, he won’t second guess this hire. Ultimately, if he leaves, Illinois is is much better shape than it was when we got here. Whether people disagree, or not, with certain hires, it probably will not affect the outcome. Lovies system is going to work, or it won’t. And Lovie is going to be the guy that it Wil all come down to.

#1,592      
Been told Hudson played a big part in landed some talent at USC...don’t take his title there for its word. As for the DC Is it that hard to realize that Lovie is going to be the DC no matter who he hired or could’ve hired.
Sure.... gotta do what you can to sell it. Hopefully Lovie can handle, but would be nice to have a fresh set of eyes and ideas to get this D to resemble a legit Big Ten defense.

#1,594      

Deleted member 656517

D
The only coach we should be concerned with at this time’s the strength and conditioning. This team will live and die next season based off the gains we make in the weight room

#1,597      
The only coach we should be concerned with at this time’s the strength and conditioning. This team will live and die next season based off the gains we make in the weight room

Well, this isn’t wholly accurate. We also need the defense to gain quite a bit of knowledge on positioning and accountabilities

#1,598      
Disagree.

To this point I am thrilled with the one add in Hudson. Now rumors on how it might shape up are underwhelming but Hudson was a good hire.
Thrilled? Care to share the reasons for your enthusiasm? The only thing I know about him is from his FAU bio page, which didn't bring me to that level of emotion.

#1,599      

Deleted member 649710

D
To this point I am thrilled with the one add in Hudson. Now rumors on how it might shape up are underwhelming but Hudson was a good hire.

“Thrilled?” LOL. Is this Mrs. Hudson?

I’ve never heard of the guy. I suspect neither have any on this board and most of our recruits. Maybe he will be OK. I sure hope that he is. But a 41 year old guy with a grand total of one year of D1 coaching experience at FAU hardly screams “home run.” Seriously, this is the best Lovie can do after a six month search? You know there are other coaches with both “Florida recruiting ties,” and far more impressive resumes, right?

#1,600      
Thrilled? Care to share the reasons for your enthusiasm? The only thing I know about him is from his FAU bio page, which didn't bring me to that level of emotion.

Top recruiter on a team that has finished 1st, 3rd and 7th respectively in recruiting rankings for Conference USA according to 247. Has landed multiple players from Jacksonville, Dayton and Tampa area and has ties in Georgia and Alabama.

Was well liked and know as good recruiter during time at USC

Status
Not open for further replies.