Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,676      
Here is my theory. Lovie and crew beta test all their decisions that have the potential to not be well received.

To do this they implanted a mole into a hive of loyal Illinois fans not afraid to speak their opinion.

That hive is Illinois Loyalty. The mole is illini0440. He gives us the possibly devisive news and the leaders watch to see what happens.

Using that formula, they now know Miles would not go over well with us fans.

#crackedthecode
So Miles is out now?

#1,677      
Beamer's kid: Worked at four different universities before working with his father.

Ferentz's kid: Worked full-time for the Patriots before joining Iowa.

Spurrier's kid: Coached under Stoops in late 90's - early 00's. I've seen a website listing him as the WR coach, others don't list a position.

Erickson's kid: Coached at New Mexico Highlands (D2) for three seasons (two as QBs coach, one as OC) before joining his father.

Paterno's kid: Coached at three different universities before working with his father.

All of them besides Shane Beamer are full-blown nepotism, but each of them has more coaching experience than Miles Smith and were semi-defensible.

Spurrier's kid, Steve Jr., was the person I was specifically referencing although Bryce Erickson (Who was on staff at Idaho with a close friend of mine from way back) had little to no resume himself before joining ASU. Steve Spurrier Jr. got his first job as a quality control and assistant WRs coach at Florida under his father. He played sparingly, something like 25-30 career pass receptions, in a ho-hum collegiate career at Duke (A program that failed to top 4 wins during this time). Steve Spurrier Jr. had zero coaching experience upon receipt of that position and was in no-way defensible at the time of his hire (Much like others to follow, such as Kendall Briles). The fact that he received other jobs post-UF is irrelevant and frankly speaks more to the fact that collegiate and professional sports are ridiculously absurd old boys clubs than it does to his coaching prowess. His unimpressive playing career could not be more unimportant.

I don't even care for Miles Smith, I don't know a thing about him and would prefer a more seasoned candidate for a positional coach at a Big Ten university but the comments here against his candidacy are odd and reaching.

#1,678      
The issue with young Master Miles Smith is a distraction.
The real issue is the fact that Coach Smith has not been able to find a quality DC coach to come to Illinois. This is very telling on what members of the coaching fraternity think of our University and the future of Coach Smith.

#1,679      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Miles Smith is now officially listed as the DBs coach on the Illinois football webpage. If someone else reported this earlier, my apologies.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 5.47.42 PM.png

#1,681      

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
What are all the open positions again? Pep Hamilton an option for offense, if any spot open there?

#1,684      
Spurrier's kid, Steve Jr., was the person I was specifically referencing although Bryce Erickson (Who was on staff at Idaho with a close friend of mine from way back) had little to no resume himself before joining ASU. Steve Spurrier Jr. got his first job as a quality control and assistant WRs coach at Florida under his father. He played sparingly, something like 25-30 career pass receptions, in a ho-hum collegiate career at Duke (A program that failed to top 4 wins during this time). Steve Spurrier Jr. had zero coaching experience upon receipt of that position and was in no-way defensible at the time of his hire (Much like others to follow, such as Kendall Briles). The fact that he received other jobs post-UF is irrelevant and frankly speaks more to the fact that collegiate and professional sports are ridiculously absurd old boys clubs than it does to his coaching prowess. His unimpressive playing career could not be more unimportant.

I don't even care for Miles Smith, I don't know a thing about him and would prefer a more seasoned candidate for a positional coach at a Big Ten university but the comments here against his candidacy are odd and reaching.
From what I can tell, Steve Spurrier, Jr., was a graduate assistant at Florida and unlikely to have been one of the top ten paid state employees. Hiring a family member and paying him substantially more than what the family member could get on the open market, as Bill Cubit did, is highly unethical. In my book, it is a form of grand larceny.

#1,686      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Been that way all season....everyone make sure your pitchforks get a good nights rest.

Because we want them to be rested for pending bad news?

Or because we need to put them away for awhile and step back from the ledge?

#1,687      

Deleted member 654622

D
The issue with young Master Miles Smith is a distraction.
The real issue is the fact that Coach Smith has not been able to find a quality DC coach to come to Illinois. This is very telling on what members of the coaching fraternity think of our University and the future of Coach Smith.
Pretty sure he isn't looking for a D Coordinator. Lovie is going to fill that role with Gill Byrd having the title. He is out trying to find young position coaches that are going to be specialized in recruiting. Say what you will, Lovie and Byrd are the talent elevators, he is trying to get talent getters

#1,690      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Pretty sure he isn't looking for a D Coordinator. Lovie is going to fill that role with Gill Byrd having the title. He is out trying to find young position coaches that are going to be specialized in recruiting. Say what you will, Lovie and Byrd are the talent elevators, he is trying to get talent getters

I'm good with Lovie's strategy and his decision to elevate Byrd to DC. The defensive assistant opening, not so much. Hopefully, Miles turns out to be a strong recruiter.

#1,694      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If basketball closes out as expected, I expect Lovie stays with 5 wins

It shouldn't matter, but if anything I'd say the stabilization on the other side of Kirby makes Lovie's ice thinner.

I almost appreciate the Miles Smith hire in a way, because I think it really clarifies the nature of the relationship here. This is a Lovie Smith vanity project, we see that with clear eyes now, and we should only accept that to the extent we reap tangible benefit from it. The "Lovie and Josh, putting on their hard hats and building the right way, brick by brick" fairy tale is over.

#1,695      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
It shouldn't matter, but if anything I'd say the stabilization on the other side of Kirby makes Lovie's ice thinner.

I almost appreciate the Miles Smith hire in a way, because I think it really clarifies the nature of the relationship here. This is a Lovie Smith vanity project, we see that with clear eyes now, and we should only accept that to the extent we reap tangible benefit from it. The "Lovie and Josh, putting on their hard hats and building the right way, brick by brick" fairy tale is over.

It is? We do? Ugh.

#1,696      

Woah. Didn't you just tell me not to let this get me down? Step back from the ledge haha

#1,698      

HAHAHAHA Wow, you have astounding insight about news that hasn't even been announced. <Rolls eyes>

Status
Not open for further replies.