Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,701      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Step back from the ledge haha

It's not a question of pessimism about where we're going on the field. I'm actually fairly bullish on our chances this year.

But the idea that we're building a model program here, doing it the hard way and maximizing everything toward building a brighter future, it's just not what's happening. Which is fine, a couple bowls and then Lovie riding off into the sunset with his reputation intact would be a much better position to be in than where we were. As would turning this roster over to a new coach with new ideas and a more professional approach in November/December.

It just puts the "stay the course at 5-7, we're one recruiting class away from becoming Alvarez' Wisconsin" stuff to bed. This is not a long-term project, this is not establishing a program identity, we're just a subsidiary of Lovie Smith Inc. and if they can't make their quarterly revenue numbers, we've got an easy business decision to make.

#1,704      

Sawicky

Chicago, IL
Getting to bowl games consistently is something I wouldn't mind before a new coach..... Don't know why that's a problem?

#1,705      
Getting to bowl games consistently is something I wouldn't mind before a new coach..... Don't know why that's a problem?

We all want that. If we win more this year than last year, I think Lovie stays. But other than that, with 4 wins, Lovies time is up

#1,706      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
I am not a fan of the potential Miles Smith hire. But let’s look at it from both sides...

Sure, we all feel he is under qualified and this is nepotism 100%. If Lovie fails with his crap hire, he will be in the same boat if he fails with a great hire.

The point being that Lovie has to make noise THIS year no matter who his coaches are.

On the flip side, maybe Miles has a positive effect...or at the very least a net neutral effect. Then we won’t care [as much] about the nepotism since a young man that is good at his job shouldn’t be kept from a promotion just because his dad is the boss.

Anyway, we saw a good offense last year with the ability to get better. We saw a horrible defense that needs to be fixed.

I was able to make it through last year so I’ll be able to make it through this year while hoping beyond hope we see an improved D and a bowl game.

If not...oh well.

#1,707      

Deleted member 654622

D
It's not a question of pessimism about where we're going on the field. I'm actually fairly bullish on our chances this year.

But the idea that we're building a model program here, doing it the hard way and maximizing everything toward building a brighter future, it's just not what's happening. Which is fine, a couple bowls and then Lovie riding off into the sunset with his reputation intact would be a much better position to be in than where we were. As would turning this roster over to a new coach with new ideas and a more professional approach in November/December.

It just puts the "stay the course at 5-7, we're one recruiting class away from becoming Alvarez' Wisconsin" stuff to bed. This is not a long-term project, this is not establishing a program identity, we're just a subsidiary of Lovie Smith Inc. and if they can't make their quarterly revenue numbers, we've got an easy business decision to make.
giphy.gif

I used to think Gritty was Second and Chalmers...now I think its my wife. Quit over blowing everything

#1,708      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I really don't think this is that hot of a take.

And it's not JUST the Miles Smith thing, nor JUST this offseason.

Last edited:
#1,709      
If Lovie fails with his crap hire, he will be in the same boat if he fails with a great hire.

Sure, but this is just a truism. Don't you think a great hire increases he possibility that he doesn't fail?

On the flip side, maybe Miles has a positive effect...or at the very least a net neutral effect. Then we won’t care [as much] about the nepotism since a young man that is good at his job shouldn’t be kept from a promotion just because his dad is the boss.

Anyway, we saw a good offense last year with the ability to get better. We saw a horrible defense that needs to be fixed.

And Miles Smith was a coach on that defense last year. Outside of pure nepotism, why does he deserve a promotion?

#1,710      
Sure, but this is just a truism. Don't you think a great hire increases he possibility that he doesn't fail?

And Miles Smith was a coach on that defense last year. Outside of pure nepotism, why does he deserve a promotion?
He's getting promoted to a different position than he coached last year....if you are going to promote anyone it should be Rob Wright.

#1,711      
Hiring Miles is pointless. He's already on the staff, and nobody is going to hire him away. If Lovie chooses to officially hire Miles as an assistant it means he couldn't find anyone to take the job or just plain doesn't want to bring in another coach. It's mismanagement of the coaching staff is what it is. He's basically saying he'd rather not have a full staff.

#1,712      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas

1. At DC, yes. At a position coach, not so much.

2. Agree with you there, but do we know Miles’ impact was a huge reason for the horrid D? Maybe it was the 1st year D-line coach and DC that just couldn’t out coach B1G OCs. Everything starts with the lines right? Maybe Miles’ role was quite minimal in that horrid D.

One can hope.

#1,713      

Deleted member 654622

D
Just so my stance is clear and not confusing.

I don't like the Miles hire. But it is not derailing the program. And it is not worth 20 pages of text. The program has lacked major talent for multiple years. They are brining in major talent now, some of the best they have EVER had. Stop acting like someone hiring his son is the end all be all. Get over it. sheesh

#1,714      
He's getting promoted to a different position than he coached last year....if you are going to promote anyone it should be Rob Wright.

He's getting promoted from an acting assistant to a full-time assistant no?

#1,715      

breadman

Herndon, VA
I would think that to convince a DC candidate to come here, Lovie could show films of when Phair coached to DLine two years ago with all freshman. At least to show that the talent is in here and just needs to be coached up again.

#1,717      

I don't like the Miles hire. But it is not derailing the program. And it is not worth 20 pages of text. The program has lacked major talent for multiple years. They are brining in major talent now, some of the best they have EVER had. Stop acting like someone hiring his son is the end all be all. Get over it. sheesh

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Don't like the hire, but scratch my head at about 90% of the comments related to it.

#1,718      
I do not care who the LB'er coach is. Lovie will be there with whomever working with them. Maybe he wants someone that will not disagree with what he wants?

#1,720      
But wouldn't you rather have Miles Smith AND a good experienced coach? That’s the disconnect I don’t understand.

Not quite sure what you're meaning there, are you asking if I'd prefer Miles Smith in a QC/Assistant LBs coach type role behind someone more experienced? If so, my answer is a resounding yes.

#1,721      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Don't like the hire, but scratch my head at about 90% of the comments related to it.
I agree. Pessimists will always find a place to vent. Basketball/ football recruiting on the up, just knocked off a top 10 team in hoops as well. Nothing to complain about in those threads so they huddle up here.

#1,722      
I agree. Pessimists will always find a place to vent. Basketball/ football recruiting on the up, just knocked off a top 10 team in hoops as well. Nothing to complain about in those threads so they huddle up here.
I understand where they are coming from. I think everyone here wants Lovie to succeed but few people actually believe it is going to happen. I personally believe just about everything needs to go right for this to work out and for that reason falling short in any manner is greatly magnified. Hiring Miles as an assistant is like missing a free throw in the final minutes of a tight game.
People are anxious and feeling insecure.

#1,723      

Agreed Dude! Just when things start to trend positive, some posters have to be mad about something. How about TU (basketball) we got our panties in a bunch over that also, was a nothing burger!

#1,724      
I beg to differ with the people who think that those of us who are against the promotion of Miles Smith are just being emotional or insecure. We are actually being quite rational. One of the most important tasks of a head coach is to assemble a great coaching staff. Lovie whiffed when he hired two of his buddies initially as his offensive and defensive coordinators. He subsequently left the O.C. position open for a strangely long time (as if he didn't quite know what to do) and then seemed to get lucky when Rod Smith unexpectedly became available. He still hasn't resolved the D.C. vacancy, and now he seems ready to promote his unqualified son into an Assistant Coach position.
You people really don't see a problem here?
If the Fighting Illini football program is ever going to improve, we need to: 1) successfully recruit players that are wanted by top-tier programs; and 2) fill coaching vacancies with coaches who are wanted by top-tier programs. We are making some headway in the recruiting realm, but I don't see an acceptable amount of competency regarding the selection of coaches.

#1,725      

Deleted member 654622

D
But wouldn't you rather have Miles Smith AND a good experienced coach? That’s the disconnect I don’t understand.
There is no disconnect from those. Everyone would rather see that. There is just one side that is taking it one way and another acting like the program is now heading back down to the cellar

Status
Not open for further replies.