Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,779      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Strongly dislike. Did the defense really even get much better after Lovie took over? No. 31, 54, 63, and 24 points were given up under Lovie after Maryland vs 63, 17, 46, 49, and 63 including and before Maryland in the B1G.

#1,780      
It's official: https://fightingillini.com/news/201...-completes-defensive-staff.aspx?path=football

Hudson = DB Coach
Miles = LB Coach
Lovie = DC

Color me extremely underwhelmed. This either works or Lovie is looking for a new job in ten months.
You should feel underwhelmed if you bought Lovie was brought in as an instant game changer. Someone who would rebrand us before he ever won a game. We weren’t told that and more importantly he wasn’t told that. He was given time to build a program from the ground up. His reputation was a building block in the process and not some golden ticket to the top of college football.

I’m sure there have been some benefits from having Lovie as HC. Wins haven’t been there but recruiting sure seems to be improving. Recent hires look down trending. A mixed bag I guess.

So those who want to point to the recent hires as to a litmus test to where we stand in today’s college football landscape, I think the criticism is fair. Others need to let them have their opinion. They also have the record to point out as a failing grade so far.

Supporters can hang their hats on better recruits and an improving offense. Both are an improvement.

Lovie taking control of the defense will be interesting to watch. I think it is put up or shut up for the Tampa2 at Illinois. I don’t think it ends well but I do think Lovie was promised time and a lot of time to see it through.

#1,781      
I think it is put up or shut up for the Tampa2 at Illinois.

That's the deal now right? I see people saying that they think he stays with 5 wins. If we eke out 5 wins by sweeping our non-con and getting 2 wins in conference, again, how the hell does he stay?

#1,782      
Defense should be better on paper alone.

huh, does anybody else think that? the new guys are mostly freshmen who will go thru freshman mistakes,
we've had three years of that.

#1,783      
he only could offer a one year deal

Now that I think of it, this is probably the biggest reason we had underwhelming hires. Yes, Lovie was extended, but everyone knows that Lovie is firmly on the hot seat and this may very easily be his last year here.

#1,784      
I only see 1 way he stays with only 5 wins: a legitimate top 30 recruiting class AND all the losses being extremely close and competitive.

#1,785      

huh, does anybody else think that? the new guys are mostly freshmen who will go thru freshman mistakes,
Well, we’d have to try to be worse. So there’s that.

#1,787      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Lovie stays with a 5-7 record, UNLESS we are totally embarrassed in the league again.
5 wins is better than 4, recruiting is trending up and JW will use both as reasons to stay the course.

Its not like Knute Rockne ver2.0 is in waiting, be real
There are coaches out there who want the job, but none with a proven track record in power 5, that anyone can point to , who doesn't have a tihs ton of baggage (Briles, Freeze, Schiano, etc)

#1,788      
The Miles hire is fine by me. Lovie is the defense. He is going to run his scheme, so who better to hire than someone that has been around it for his whole life. No one on this board knows what he is and isn't capable of doing. I am sure Lovie would have got someone else if he did not think he could do the job.

#1,789      
Terrible job filling the empty roles.
Smith retaining the DC spot is just a stubborn old man’s attempt to use a tired old scheme that almost every coach in the B1G bragged about how they can do whatever they want on offense against.
I thought Smith was about winning games?!

#1,790      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Yep, I think they'll be markedly better (admittedly, not a high bar).

#1,791      
This isn't just someone "hiring his son." His son will most likely be one of the top ten paid state employees. Josh Whitman should be fired for permitting this. Seriously, does this hire benefit the University of Illinois football program or the Smith family? With all of Lovie's coaching experience and contacts, this is the best he could do? I find that very hard to believe. (I am, of course, referring to the best he could do for the University of Illinois football program, not the Smith family.)

It's quite telling when posters (Dude, Dbell1981, logjam, etc.) start labeling other posters and trying to stop further discussion. It's a common tactic when trying to defend the indefensible.

To comply with the University of Illinois Statutes, Article IX, Section 2, which states:

No individual shall initiate or participate in institutional decisions involving a direct benefit (initial employment, retention, promotion, salary, leave of absence etc.) to a member of his immediate family. “Immediate family” includes an individual’s spouse, ancestors and descendants, all descendants of the individual’s grandparents, and the spouse of any of the foregoing. Each chancellor shall develop, for the approval of the president, campus procedures to insure against such conflict of interest.​
http://cam.illinois.edu/policies/hr-28/

#1,792      

Deleted member 654622

D
We've had youth for three years and we will be young next year (the next batch of freshman THE STAFF HAS
PROMISED PLAYING TIME). Fundamentals and discipline will still be a problem. Unless we have the next
Urlacher and Tillman I'm afraid this defense will be no better. if we have key injuries like we really didn't have
last year, it could be a disaster. But I'm with Olaf and hope I'm wrong too.
I'm going to go on a short limb and say the only freshman that sees time on the defense is Beason.

#1,793      

Deleted member 631370

D
The Miles hire is fine by me. Lovie is the defense. He is going to run his scheme, so who better to hire than someone that has been around it for his whole life. No one on this board knows what he is and isn't capable of doing. I am sure Lovie would have got someone else if he did not think he could do the job.

Technically, nobody on this board knows what I am and am not capable of doing, either. Still, you shouldn't hire me to be on a Big Ten football staff.

The one thing that Miles Smith and I share is this: aside from Miles' dad, there's not a P5 coach anywhere that would hire us into a permanent position.

#1,794      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I'm going to go on a short limb and say the only freshman that sees time on the defense is Beason.
I think Cooper will see some time, but not a lot. Okpala might, too. The 4 game redshirt rule makes it a lot easier to play the frosh especially during the easier non-con games.

#1,795      

Deleted member 654622

D

I believe 100% the defense is going to take a 'nice stride' forward. I am not going to say leap. That is next year.
Again, Beason is the only freshman getting playing time. That is why "paper alone" makes complete sense

#1,796      

Deleted member 654622

D
I think Cooper will see some time, but not a lot. Okpala might, too. The 4 game redshirt rule makes it a lot easier to play the frosh especially during the easier non-con games.
I will respectfully disagree based off the current starters and those freshman needing to add some serious weight.

#1,798      
As much as I don't like how this went down, I doubt it costs us a game next year. It is what it is
I agree
Unless we have the next Urlacher and Tillman I'm afraid this defense will be no better.
I do not agree. But if Cooper turns out to be Urlacher-esque and Beason reminds of Tillman, I'll be fine with it.

I get the impression that Lovie is going to use the coming season to train the entire defensive coaching staff exactly how he wants that unit run. He'll put Byrd and Hudson and Miles in his back pocket and take them through every detail. None of them start at zero, so it'll be easier than it sounds, and Miles just spent a season getting trained by Lovie, so in a way that hire makes some sense (though I'm still not a fan of hiring family.)

But I'm a glass-half-full guy, so maybe I'm just rationalizing.

#1,799      
Technically, nobody on this board knows what I am and am not capable of doing, either. Still, you shouldn't hire me to be on a Big Ten football staff.

The one thing that Miles Smith and I share is this: aside from Miles' dad, there's not a P5 coach anywhere that would hire us into a permanent position.

Why does it matter? If Lovie thinks he can handle an assistant position, then so be it. He might fail horribly, but we have had many other experienced assistant coaches who have not brought us success.

#1,800      
I will respectfully disagree based off the current starters and those freshman needing to add some serious weight.
Agreed on the weight needed to add, i'm thinking Seth C, might get a little tic tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.