Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,802      

Deleted member 631370

D
Why does it matter? If Lovie thinks he can handle an assistant position, then so be it. He might fail horribly, but we have had many other experienced assistant coaches who have not brought us success.

It matters for the same reason that getting a blue chip recruit over a project 3* matters. Probability of success.

Is it possible that his kid proves perfectly qualified and a tremendous value-added to the staff? Sure. But there are safer bets out there. Lots of them. And they offer this team a higher probability of success than a kid who is such an unknown.

But hey.....it's his neck on the line. Doubling down on his own name with this Miles hiring and DC self-designation is pretty bold, and only intensifies the pressure on him if this year doesn't materialize into a winner.

#1,804      
The stability of the new contract helped Lovie, I just don't think we did as well in the coaching front as we could have. I think in the recruiting front we did very well, missed some but overall did well (especially with the transfers). I was hoping it was going to be Steckel from MSU as first reported back in November/December.

#1,805      
"I will also be working with the linebackers on a daily basis for additional input at that position."

His kid is basically assistant LB coach and is there anyone better than Lovie himself to be DC....personally I dont mind it
Let’s see. Your OK with Lovie continuing as DC after our record as one of the worst defenses in the country last year. It seems that you are also OK with a totally inexperienced 20 something as LB coach who wouldn’t be coaching at a High School if his last name wasn’t Smith.
Have I got this right?

#1,806      
Strongly dislike. Did the defense really even get much better after Lovie took over? No. 31, 54, 63, and 24 points were given up under Lovie after Maryland vs 63, 17, 46, 49, and 63 including and before Maryland in the B1G.
Totally, totally agree.
Josh I know you respect Coach Smith but don’t forget that your are being paid to supervise him. Your not much of a manager if you go along with this.

#1,807      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Totally, totally agree.
Josh I know you respect Coach Smith but don’t forget that your are being paid to supervise him. Your not much of a manager if you go along with this.
coaches are typicaly allowed to hire as they see fit, save there being a character flaw ala Art Briles with the Southern Miss admin vetoing his hire.

If Josh started micromanaging every hire from asst coach to gatorade guy, it would haunt him with coaching hires in every sport going forward
while I have no inside info, Josh knew about this weeks ago. Don't think this was news to him this week.

#1,808      
Rumors Lovey has a second cousins' nephew's Uncle that is now coaching Pop Warner......could be potential addition to staff.

#1,809      
Not a good look. But Lovie was never going to find a decent, experienced DC that would be willing to come in and just run Lovie’s scheme with no input. And that’s what they would have had to do, because Lovie was never going to turn over control of the defense to anyone else.

#1,810      
Unlike Basketball, Football takes a much longer to prove, but very short time to disprove. So, let us see.

This situation must have been discussed between Lovie and Josh. No matter what, I think Lovie will be here for a whole 5 years.

#1,811      
Well, miles was on the staff all of last year. Got a chance to coach and recruit with the other staff members. Hopefully the rest of the staff signed off on the hire. Lovie is their boss, but I think honest feedback would be given by most of the staff especially the veterans.
Possibility of miles being hired was probably thought of last year by the staff...there could have been more defections from staff if it was an issue....a la Clark to usc that was rumored. Thad leaving for higher position doesn’t appear to be leaving because he was not happy with miles being hired.???

#1,814      
coaches are typicaly allowed to hire as they see fit, save there being a character flaw ala Art Briles with the Southern Miss admin vetoing his hire.

If Josh started micromanaging every hire from asst coach to gatorade guy, it would haunt him with coaching hires in every sport going forward
while I have no inside info, Josh knew about this weeks ago. Don't think this was news to him this week.
I really think there’s something going on with the assistant coach salary pool. Barring hiring an expensive co-OC for the final spot, this staff is making less than the original pool given to Lovie. And if that’s the case, I don’t know how you can criticize or control Lovies choices if you’re Whitman, while at the same time giving him less money for the hires than was originally promised.

#1,815      

or save they are related.

#1,816      
That's the deal now right? I see people saying that they think he stays with 5 wins. If we eke out 5 wins by sweeping our non-con and getting 2 wins in conference, again, how the hell does he stay?

It will be more than a number. There will need to be improvements. But josh is there and knows what’s happening. He won’t settle for a fownturn

Last edited:
#1,817      
Technically, nobody on this board knows what I am and am not capable of doing, either. Still, you shouldn't hire me to be on a Big Ten football staff.

The one thing that Miles Smith and I share is this: aside from Miles' dad, there's not a P5 coach anywhere that would hire us into a permanent position.

This isn’t a permanent position

#1,818      
Well, miles was on the staff all of last year. Got a chance to coach and recruit with the other staff members. Hopefully the rest of the staff signed off on the hire. Lovie is their boss, but I think honest feedback would be given by most of the staff especially the veterans.
Possibility of miles being hired was probably thought of last year by the staff...there could have been more defections from staff if it was an issue....a la Clark to usc that was rumored. Thad leaving for higher position doesn’t appear to be leaving because he was not happy with miles being hired.???

Based on what Werner is reporting, there are a lot of people in the program, particularly support staff guys that Miles had been elevated over as interim and now actual LB coach, upset over this decision.

And do you really think staff members are going to question Lovie directly over this? Guys dont want to lose their own jobs

#1,819      
Lovie has a mixed record. Even then, most of us have no issue with him taking chances on guys like Clark or Hudson. But hiring Miles is just plain nepotism. There's a zero percent chance he'd be a candidate if Lovie wasnt his dad

#1,820      
Miles has work to do. He should know the scheme since he grew up in it. IMO, the LB position was weak last year. We will see.

#1,821      
I recall people shrugging off the Ryan Cubit as OC hire. Like, "Whatever, it's Bill Cubit's offense, his son is just an extension of him." Last I heard, Ryan Cubit was working as a sales rep for an orthopedic medical device company. That's what I hate about these nepotism hires. It's just wasting space. You could have an experienced DC adding value and an experienced LB coach adding value but instead you squander those slots on redundancies: head coach, head coach as coordinator, head coach's doppelganger as assistant. It's one staff member for the price of three.

#1,822      

breadman

Herndon, VA
Considering we have 4 star athletes playing linebacker next season, they don't need no stinkin' coaches!! And even the Eifler (sp?) kid who transferred in, he has also been "on staff" for the past year. So, you have your coach on the field, and your almost coach on the sideline. Not a problem.

#1,823      

Illinir1

Camdenton, MO
I’m also wondering what the players think of this hire. Did he have the respect of the DBs last year? Will the LBs respect him?
And equally importantly, will he be able to gain the respect of prospective recruits, given his very limited experience?

#1,824      
Considering we have 4 star athletes playing linebacker next season, they don't need no stinkin' coaches!! And even the Eifler (sp?) kid who transferred in, he has also been "on staff" for the past year. So, you have your coach on the field, and your almost coach on the sideline. Not a problem.

Eifler will be the leader at the LB position due to the fact he has been able to study and digest the defense.

#1,825      
I am trying my best to find a positive in this. It is difficult. I don't know much about Coach Hudson or about Lovies son, but this is not a good imagine for the program. What also confuses me is Coach Smith saying that he was going to assist with the the LB group. Why hire a coach that doesn't give you an edge in recruiting. I know I am viewing this from the public side of things, but I would rather take a chance with another High School Head Coach similar to Coach Patterson. I get that guys like Coach Patterson aren't just hanging out waiting for a shot, but with our assistant coach budget we should be able to find someone with more experience.

The one positive I can find(ish) is with Coach Smith taking more of a role as defensive coordinator, he has more faith in Coach Rod handling the offense. People need to also remember Coach Smith was Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator for the Bears after Coach Rivera left. I know the situation is much different being a head coach and defensive coordinator in college than in the pros. We are at a very crucial point in player development and I am hoping that this coach hiring isn't going to hinder development.

I fully expect that Coach Smith to make a splash in hiring a Running Backs coach. I see the appeal in Nate Scheelhaase but I would like to go in a different direction. Tim Horton just was demoted and was given a new position at Auburn. I don't know much about the guy, but he has been running backs coach for some great running programs (Air Force, KSU, Arkansas-the Run DMC Hillis Felix Jones, and Auburn). He was also the recruiting coordinator in the South. Seems like a good chance to swoop in and see if he wants a fresh start. I know getting a running backs coach that was just recently demoted doesn't sound like a great idea, but I think adding a veteran coach to a young coaching staff wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.