Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,876      
Did Miles' presence with the DBs have something to do with Donnie A's sudden departure? Nepotism can be really nasty to a management team and environment.

Miles Smith never actually coached the DBs last year. He was with the nickels before Abraham left and he stayed with nickels after Abraham left. His "DB coach" was in title only

#1,879      
Really hope Whitman is drafting up a new letter. Can’t wait to see the positive bullet points!

#1,881      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
To give a bit of context to why this is creating this sort of reaction where we all know of plenty of examples (Steve Spurrier Jr, Brian Ferentz, Shane Beamer, Skip Holtz, etc) of sons being part of their father's staffs in college football, everyone of those cases I mentioned involved the son first going out and proving themselves at a job outside their father's nest before getting hired under the father. The culture of football coaching is very much a "pay your dues" sort of thing. These low-level assistant jobs are hard and thankless, intentionally and needlessly so in a lot of cases, because that's the culture.

Miles Smith skipped the line, and that's naturally going to cause a reaction. Which is the real shame of it, because at the end of the day, Lovie has done no favors for Miles' career in football here. He's perfectly capable of landing him a job somewhere else under a coach Lovie knows and trusts to pay his dues, but foolishly decided to take a shortcut that isn't in his son's best long-term interests.

#1,883      
Boese.....

Man, If I owned a cardboard box and moving company in Champaign business would be booming today!

#1,885      
Illini also losing recruiting staffer Nate McNeal, who will reunite with Rod Carey and Thad Ward to head the recruiting department at Temple.
https://twitter.com/JWerner247/
Obviously he's just leaving for the promotion. Nothing to see here, guys. Move along. Everything is fine.

Where are all the guys who told us yesterday to quit complaining?

#1,888      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Losing Butkus really really hurts. I'm making a leap here but I don't blame McNeal leaving as he probably feels he was past over for the HC's kid. He put in his dues and it didn't pay off.

#1,894      

Cook

Richmond, VA
To give a bit of context to why this is creating this sort of reaction where we all know of plenty of examples (Steve Spurrier Jr, Brian Ferentz, Shane Beamer, Skip Holtz, etc) of sons being part of their father's staffs in college football, everyone of those cases I mentioned involved the son first going out and proving themselves at a job outside their father's nest before getting hired under the father. The culture of football coaching is very much a "pay your dues" sort of thing. These low-level assistant jobs are hard and thankless, intentionally and needlessly so in a lot of cases, because that's the culture.

Miles Smith skipped the line, and that's naturally going to cause a reaction. Which is the real shame of it, because at the end of the day, Lovie has done no favors for Miles' career in football here. He's perfectly capable of landing him a job somewhere else under a coach Lovie knows and trusts to pay his dues, but foolishly decided to take a shortcut that isn't in his son's best long-term interests.
This situation is so wack. To your point, that's what Lovie told/made Scheelhaase do. Why wouldn't he do the same wrt Miles?

#1,898      
S/C are arguably the most important coach though.

True. But I would hope that one could make a relatively "quick" hire with a competent replacement and not lose too much. Granted, the way things have gone, maybe I shouldn't be so hopeful...

#1,899      
This situation is so wack. To your point, that's what Lovie told/made Scheelhaase do. Why wouldn't he do the same wrt Miles?
Exactly, as much as I would LOVE to have Nate back, I can't imagine anyway that happens under Lovie now.

#1,900      
ill have to fill Thad's spot. I'd really love it to be Nate, but I'm not op
vie was lucky Rod became available. Rich Rod was fired in January. Our season ended in November. Lovie didn’t interview Rod until after the Arizona firing. Lovie was lucky Rod became available and lucky that by taking 2 mo

Bolded: This still isn't true but losing Butkus hurts. I've got no fight left in me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.