Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,926      

Deleted member 654622

D
Butkus could have left last year for the raiders and didn't. He is not a fan of the decisions Lovie has made.
I want to reiterate that I think losing Butkus sucks. But your saying he was flirting with the idea of leaving for the NFL last year, and we pulled in how many OL recruits in this class? Is there a correlation?

#1,927      
Uh, these guys are leaving for promotions or the NFL. It is not like they are leaving for lateral moves or taking a step back. Not a lot of assistants are going to ignore it when the Packer's call you. Boese may leave to rejoin his buddy at Cincy in the NFL. The offense did improve a ton last season, so there should be no surprise that guys on that side are getting offers.
That's right. Nothing to see here, fellas. Move along. All is good. Ignore the insider information. Everyone's just moving on up.

#1,928      

Deleted member 654622

D
Smart, gotta make sure to defeat anything that would invite empiricism or analytical rigor into what is fundamentally a religious conversation.
Nope. You can keep the stance all you want that the overall recruiting rankings of high school kids are the end all be all in determining the level of talent being brought in. Have fun with that

#1,931      

Deleted member 654622

D
Butkus could have left last year for the raiders and didn't. He is not a fan of the decisions Lovie has made.
Considering the issue going on here. This statement could be 100% true and not have anything to do with his decision to leave this year. Did he not take the Raiders job since it was across the country as opposed to just north? Just saying, if he left because of the Miles hire, it needs to be said.

#1,933      
An assistant OL coach in the NFL is definitely not a promotion or upgrade from a B1G OL coach. It appears he wasn’t forced out, so obviously that points to him basically wanting out of the situation here. Feel free to read into it as much or as little as you want.

#1,934      

Deleted member 654622

D
If Lovie fails next year and is fired, what makes you think this roster will stick around with the era of "Free Agency"/transfer portal we've entered into?? I could see many players seeing this as a "get out of jail free" card and bouncing.

To your previous post- Whitman not veto-ing the hire but having the concern to supposedly send multiple resources to Lovie about the backlash and why this may not be a good idea is a sign of JW's management abilities (or lack thereof). He's done well in other areas where an AD needs to do so, therefore I will not pull the "fire JW" card yet.

Also, to the point another poster made about leaving for "promotions" an ASSISTANT to the OL coach in the NFL is not really a promotion from a Power 5 OL coach in college. And with Butkus having left an ASST to the OL coach at the NFL level twice to come back to his alma mater makes me believe he wants this program to do well and he wants to be a part of that staff. But he sees the dumpster fire Lovie has started (and Beckman in Luke's first round as an Illini coach) and he leaves out of frustration from lack of direction.
I think the roster transferring risk is a great question. I would think that would depend mainly on the current coaches that got them to UI, Clark, Paterson and AHS. If they stay, I can see the talent staying
I am glad you recognize what JW has done in all other departments. If he fails at football, I still think he has been a very successful AD
From the outside looking in, I would think the money would be better in the NFL and you don't have to be on the road constantly recruiting. So even if its an assistant job, if the pay is about equal (or more) and you don't have to recruit, I can see a guy that isn't the recruiting type, wanting to be in the NFL.

#1,935      
If we suck for a 4th straight year under Lovie, players transferring is way down on the list of concerns and should have no effect on a coaching change decision.

#1,937      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If we suck for a 4th straight year under Lovie, players transferring is way down on the list of concerns and should have no effect on a coaching change decision.

100% agree, but having said that, player turnover during a coaching change is usually fairly minimal, and more coach-induced than player-induced.

#1,938      

breadman

Herndon, VA
Would have been nice to have Butkus around for at least this next season for continuity with the OL players. His picture is already gone from the staff's webpage.

Also, don't know if this has been mentioned earlier: Schiano is now Belichick's DC.

#1,939      
You know it's not like Butkus left for some so so program or a good one for that matter. He went to the Green Bay Packers. Maybe at this time in his life he was intrigued by another go in the NFL. I don't know.
Hiring his son i don't think is a good decision on or off the field. Whitman, is the AD his hands are not tied. He may not be in an enviable position, but that's part of the job.
I'm okay with Lovie being the DC, he was pretty good at one time and who better to run his scheme if that;s what he wants from his DC, But more than that. Now it all rises or falls with him. These are his players, his scheme, and he's calling the shots. The defense lives or dies with him.

#1,940      

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL

Indeed. Number 1 on the list is whether we continue to try this football thing at Illinois.

#1,941      
Several people have mentioned the very real possibility of existing players transferring but what about the possible 2020 recruits ? If you are a recruit’s parent and you see the apparent disorganization in the coaching staff just how excited would you be sending your young man there ? Yes , I know the school should be the major factor in your son’s final decision but that just doesn’t happen often enough .

#1,942      
Putting a pin in this until 247 updates their "team talent composite" for the 2019 season.

Lovie's first team, what he inherited, was 64th in the nation. We were 61st last year.

If you cannot figure out that a huge chunk of those ratings is based on the number of recruits you have as opposed to the quality of those recruits, then I don't think anyone can fully explain to you how dumb this attempted connection was.

#1,943      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If you cannot figure out that a huge chunk of those ratings is based on the number of recruits you have as opposed to the quality of those recruits, then I don't think anyone can fully explain to you how dumb this attempted connection was.

The composite is for the whole roster my bruh, not just the individual classes.

#1,945      
If Lovie fails next year and is fired, what makes you think this roster will stick around with the era of "Free Agency"/transfer portal we've entered into?? I could see many players seeing this as a "get out of jail free" card and bouncing.

To your previous post- Whitman not veto-ing the hire but having the concern to supposedly send multiple resources to Lovie about the backlash and why this may not be a good idea is a sign of JW's management abilities (or lack thereof). He's done well in other areas where an AD needs to do so, therefore I will not pull the "fire JW" card yet.

Also, to the point another poster made about leaving for "promotions" an ASSISTANT to the OL coach in the NFL is not really a promotion from a Power 5 OL coach in college. And with Butkus having left an ASST to the OL coach at the NFL level twice to come back to his alma mater makes me believe he wants this program to do well and he wants to be a part of that staff. But he sees the dumpster fire Lovie has started (and Beckman in Luke's first round as an Illini coach) and he leaves out of frustration from lack of direction.

The first point is a big if. If everyone leaves. I doubt many will leave.

The second point is a potential answer. It could be that Whitman doesn’t get it. But I’m going to give Whitman the benefit of the doubt. For the record, I’m giving Lovie the benefit of the doubt f the doubt. He wins next year, he stays. He loses next year, he leaves. Pretty simple.

Third point is aSo just an assumption. I’m not clear on why he is leaving. And I’m not going to make assumptions. Moving back to the nfl is a legitimate reason to leave. He also could have gone to another college with how well the line did this year and he chose not to do so. I won’t make assumptions on what happened.

If there is some lack of integrity on lovies part, the program will fail this year and that will be an indication that the coaches knew something we didn’t. If the program wins this year, it will be an indication that the coaches left for different reasons. Either way, Lovie is coaching this year and he has the talent to win. Not winning is an indication that he failed. Everything else that people are discussing is irrelevant. Obviously if there is some type of scandal, then maybe Lovie leaves early. I think we lose more firing Lovie now than we gain. And I think lovies past warrants a chance to show he can win with the team he built.

#1,949      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I am among the many who are not pleased with the recent developments with the coaching staff, but in regards to the above quote:

"Dumpster fire" is a latin phrase meaning "literally anything that happened under the previous coach"

#1,950      
Certainly don't like all that has happened in the last day, but not ready to proclaim that the sky is falling (though it has gotten considerably more cloudy). I do think Lovie's recent moves have tightened up any wiggle room that was there regarding next year's outcome on the field and his future at Illinois. He needs to find two good quality coaches on the offensive side of the ball, with at least one of them being a strong recruiter also.

Status
Not open for further replies.