Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,976      
The sky is falling! Our glass is half empty! We're not recruiting on par with Alabama! The athletic association wants to know how they can improve my game day experience! Miles! OH NOEZ!!! Our forums are so fun. Keep it up guys!

#1,977      
Reading these responses is like reading the story of Job. He was in a real bad place and his friends kept trying to share with him some wisdom about the situation but in the end even though it sounded good they were all wrong! 😂 lol

#1,979      
Right after signing day is when coaches used to leave, I think. So, I think it is typical to see staff movement. New coaching staffs see asst coaches on the move beforehand a la ward. Don’t like losing ward, McNeal, Butkus. They were good parts of the team.

#1,980      
It may be pretty simple. Whitman is giving Lovie this hire, if Lovie does not perform well next year, Whitman fires Lovie's hire and then the chips fall.

Not sure if this has been said, but sometimes don't coaches hold off with transfer, new gig announcements until the recruits are all signed up out of respect for the program/head coach? ie. could the timing just be as simple as final signing days?

I am not close enough to this to know - but it would seem to me that if you've been around football and coaching long enough you know there are preferential hires (whether they are sons/friends of buddies or son/friends of the HC) so while you might get annoyed as a coach when this happens, I don't see anyone leaving just because of one hire (unless of course they took your promo).

I like this one. I could see Whitman saying to Lovie, he gets a shot, but if his way doesn’t work, then Lovie has to take on a new dc and coaches

#1,982      
I thought is was very interesting on the Jeremy Werner show today that he mentioned "Luke Butkus is a hard guy to get along with" multiple times. He also said Larry Boyd did not like working under him either. I have no idea if that played a part in him transferring, but if someone is not happy, its hard to focus on a science project.
In the end, Luke gets to go back to the NFL where he doesn't have to recruit, which he didn't do much of while he was here.
I would love to see Coach give Rod Smith the ability to fill out the remaining offensive coaching spots. Bring in his people that know his system, much like the other side of the ball.

Yeah, I think Butkus is pretty hard on his guys. I remember the freshman interviews, Ruben Unije was asked what it was like being coached by Butkus. I forget his exact answer but he looked exasperated, like the dude was too much.

#1,983      
Got to be Butkus. He's got pride in his alma mater and sees the nonsense that Lovie is turning this staff into and wouldn't want to be a part of that. He was the same way after his season under Beckman. He can sniff out that bull!!!!. With the OL improvement over the course of last season I'm sure he's on some short lists elsewhere.
or maybe Butkus is the problem! His name sure helped him get some jobs!

#1,984      
This board is very reactionary, I don't like what had happened with the coaches but I don't know what is around the corner. Butkus stops are primarily at the NFL, actually surprised we have had him for 3 years.

We landed a very solid recruiting class and some transfers. Back in December we all thought BU was a terrible basketball hire. He is starting to look pretty good now. Give Lovie time to coach his recruits who will be juniors this year.

#1,987      

Deleted member 654622

D
Yeah, I think Butkus is pretty hard on his guys. I remember the freshman interviews, Ruben Unije was asked what it was like being coached by Butkus. I forget his exact answer but he looked exasperated, like the dude was too much.
Werner also mentioned Ruben and I remember that exact interview. I remember thinking "I don't think this dude likes getting yelled at".

#1,989      

Deleted member 654622

D
By being a division 1 football player and having a shot in the NFL? Luke has busted his tail in the coaching profession.
I need to ask this question. And it may seem as if I am trying to be bias, but I really am not. You have the impression of being on the inside. So in your opinion, is Miles Smith knowledgeable about his dad's defense? Does he work late hours in the office making himself better?

#1,990      
Um... I'm pretty confident that at this point, if his way doesn't work, Lovie won't be responsible for hiring anyone because he'll be out of a job.

Agreed. I don’t think there is another mulligan to be had here. It’s put up or move on time.

It will be interesting to see who fills the vacancies still open. Need to inject some recruiting prowess badly.

#1,991      
Agreed. I don’t think there is another mulligan to be had here. It’s put up or move on time.

It will be interesting to see who fills the vacancies still open. Need to inject some recruiting prowess badly.

For sure, but the question is how many wins.

#1,992      

Agree with first sentence. Hiring Miles just put you in the produce or be gone pile if you weren't already there.

I think we need one more recruiter which I think we will get for the WR/RB spot, whichever way they decide to go. We have Patterson, Clark, AHS and now Hudson who are good recruiters. Recruiting is the strong point of this staff imo. Player development??? We will see

#1,994      

Deleted member 649710

D
I need to ask this question. And it may seem as if I am trying to be bias, but I really am not. You have the impression of being on the inside. So in your opinion, is Miles Smith knowledgeable about his dad's defense? Does he work late hours in the office making himself better?
Miles Smith has forgotten more about linebacking than Hardy Nickerson ever learned.

#1,995      
Agree with first sentence. Hiring Miles just put you in the produce or be gone pile if you weren't already there.

I think we need one more recruiter which I think we will get for the WR/RB spot, whichever way they decide to go. We have Patterson, Clark, AHS and now Hudson who are good recruiters. Recruiting is the strong point of this staff imo. Player development??? We will see

Not too disappointed to hear Butkus is leaving. Bellow average recruiter. Hard a** guy who doesn't relate well to today's college player. Believe Recent Oline success has more to do with Coach Rod's system. Think we will be better off in the end.

#1,996      
Not too disappointed to hear Butkus is leaving. Bellow average recruiter. Hard a** guy who doesn't relate well to today's college player. Believe Recent Oline success has more to do with Coach Rod's system. Think we will be better off in the end.

So, Mikal will do well as O line coach? :)

#1,999      

Dan

Admin
The Bengals are planning to hire Illinois strength coach Joey Boese to their strength and conditioning staff, per source. He worked with Zac Taylor at Texas A&M previously.
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/

#2,000      
Wow, the hits keep coming. I feel like I'm taking uppercuts from Tyson. Boese leaving in the critical time of winter workouts. Lovie better find someone good and do it quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.