Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,076      
I don't quite get the fascination with Nathan Scheelhaase. I'm a big fan of his both as a person and an Illini. That said, he's new to the coaching profession and I see nothing in his bio that screams superstar recruiter, etc. Is it his Illini background that makes him so appealing? Please enlighten me.

In his 1st year as RB Coach at ISU, he landed 2 4* RBs. At Iowa St.

He absolutely has the makings of a superstar recruiter, and it's not surprising both 247 and Rivals reported we reached out to him about coming back home

#2,078      
In his 1st year as RB Coach at ISU, he landed 2 4* RBs. At Iowa St.

He absolutely has the makings of a superstar recruiter, and it's not surprising both 247 and Rivals reported we reached out to him about coming back home

Looks like Scheelhaase is off to a pretty good start. Many on this board, myself not included, complained that we have recently hired unproven (on field and recruiting) coaches. They feel we need to attract more experienced and proven candidates. I tend to agree. If/when Scheelhaase is more seasoned and wants to come back, I'll be all in.

#2,079      
I disagree with most of the hiring naysayers in that I don't think Illinois is having trouble hiring coaches. I think that, from Lovie's standpoint, he wants someone that has a similar background and understanding as himself. Given that him and Coach Key both were trained by Kiffin, he felt that Key could be a great coach in his defensive system.

I believe that the biggest limiting factor, to date, on hiring on the defensive side has been finding people that Lovie wants to work with on defensive schemes and recruiting. I think that people are lining up to work in a P5 position under Lovie smith. I think Lovie wants someone that has experience with his system and training.

Given that we have some offensive openings, I think this would be a good test of whether my thoughts are accurate would be the hires that come out of this next coaching search.

#2,080      
I agree with you on the Key and have absolutely no problem with the hire . My biggest problem was the way and timing of both Lovie and Miles . I’m reasonably certain Lovie had known for some time he was going to be DC and Miles was going to be LB Coach , and again I have no problem with the hire . I get that he had to wait for all the bidding was done for LB Coach but I doubt Lovie had to go thru the bid process for DC . He should have announced the DC decision immediately and Miles as LB Coach earlier . By not doing so and waiting till the same time period that the other coaches resigned gives the program a look of disarray . Optics in P5 football is essential . Having said that if the OL & RB Coaches that are hired are experienced in our Oc’s type of offense or better yet has worked directly under him before .

#2,082      
This entire thread is summarized below. Hilarious!

6ac5e654ecae1b98a3cf43639b28c207.png

#2,083      

the national

the Front Range
I agree with you on the Key and have absolutely no problem with the hire . My biggest problem was the way and timing of both Lovie and Miles . I’m reasonably certain Lovie had known for some time he was going to be DC and Miles was going to be LB Coach , and again I have no problem with the hire . I get that he had to wait for all the bidding was done for LB Coach but I doubt Lovie had to go thru the bid process for DC . He should have announced the DC decision immediately and Miles as LB Coach earlier . By not doing so and waiting till the same time period that the other coaches resigned gives the program a look of disarray . Optics in P5 football is essential . Having said that if the OL & RB Coaches that are hired are experienced in our Oc’s type of offense or better yet has worked directly under him before .
I agree the optics are important. However, we aren’t the first school to lose coaches. Those other schools seem to manager it ok. It happens. Isn’t there the slightest chance that our fanbase is a weee bit melodramatic?

#2,084      
I agree the optics are important. However, we aren’t the first school to lose coaches. Those other schools seem to manager it ok. It happens. Isn’t there the slightest chance that our fanbase is a weee bit melodramatic?

Hahahah. Maybe the understatement of the year. Currently one of the worst ncaa money sport franchises, yet everyone thinks we should be competing for titles.

But to be fair, Lovie has always been criticized through his career for failing to manage the narrative. This is just one of the few times that the optics were atrocious. First was his assistants, then recruiting, then coaches, then rod Smith, if any of those turned differently, people were ready with pitchforks. And losing Williams, Dorsey, etc. coupled with losses, was poor narrative management.

#2,086      
Optics in P5 football is essential . Having said that if the OL & RB Coaches that are hired are experienced in our Oc’s type of offense or better yet has worked directly under him before .

That will have to be the case since Lovie won't make the hires until 15 minutes before the first spring practice begins.

#2,088      

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
its simple. if lovie had been successful and were coming off a rose bowl visit, miles would be no problem.

This is definitely true. There would be a few token grumbles, but winning blinds fans to certain missteps coaches tend to make.

I also don’t think it’s just PAST winning that will make this go away. If Lovie bowls this year or, better yet, goes like 8-4...we will be in here thinking “Miles must be good! Luckily Lovie stood up to the doubters and proved it wasn’t about nepotism but qualifications that made him hire his son.”

That timeline won’t happen...but it’s what I imagine we would say if it did.

#2,089      
This is definitely true. There would be a few token grumbles, but winning blinds fans to certain missteps coaches tend to make.

I also don’t think it’s just PAST winning that will make this go away. If Lovie bowls this year or, better yet, goes like 8-4...we will be in here thinking “Miles must be good! Luckily Lovie stood up to the doubters and proved it wasn’t about nepotism but qualifications that made him hire his son.”

I’m still haven’t given up hope on the upcoming season. But I think 5 is realistic and 6 is within range.

#2,090      
Well, the OL coach who would have coached with Rod Smith in Arizona had Sumlin not been hired (Garin Justice) is following Lovie Smith. No clue how long he’s been following him though.

And is followed by Werner, Patterson and what appears to be Doug Kramer’s dad.
Very interesting. He and Keynodo Hudson were coaching together at FAU for a year (2017).

#2,091      
I’m still haven’t given up hope on the upcoming season. But I think 5 is realistic and 6 is within range.
If they win only 5 games (barring some crazy circumstances in the losses), Lovie better be fired. Amazing how far the goal posts continue to move.

#2,093      

BZuppke

Plainfield
I think we win 7 or 8 this year. The pieces and schedule are there.

#2,094      
I'll have whatever BZuppke is drinking. :thumb:

#2,098      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

For me, Miles won't be the dominant headline unless his unit or the defense is as bad as 2018. If Illinois performs well, the dominant theme will be which players took the big leap forward that allowed to team to reach these new heights.

More than likely the 2019 protagonist will be Rod Smith (offense reaches 2001 levels and carries the team to 7-8 wins, will someone give him a HC opportunity? Can Illinois give him another salary bump and/or a title raise to keep him? Or if the defense is so bad and fails to win a bowl there will be discussions about making Rod the HC) or Lovie Smith (defense takes large leap forward, Lovie's system has proven it can work, his teaching ability is incredible, he gets a massive extension, all of the assistants get lucrative extensions, a couple new assistants are brought in with strong backgrounds). There are other themes, but they seem less likely.

#2,099      
More than likely the 2019 protagonist will be Rod Smith, will someone give him a HC opportunity? Can Illinois give him another salary bump and/or a title raise to keep him? Or if the defense is so bad and fails to win a bowl there will be discussions about making Rod the HC

We just got done with that scenario in the last regime. Anyway, Reggie Corbin said that Rod Smith was born to call plays. He excels in the press box. If he becomes a head coach, his expertise in calling plays will be diminished by the burdens of having to run the entire program. Not to say that he couldn't, but he shouldn't.

#2,100      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
We just got done with that scenario in the last regime. Anyway, Reggie Corbin said that Rod Smith was born to call plays. He excels in the press box. If he becomes a head coach, his expertise in calling plays will be diminished by the burdens of having to run the entire program. Not to say that he couldn't, but he shouldn't.

Correct, one of the major 2018 themes was Rod Smith, but that doesn't preclude him being a big part of Illinois' success next year. This would be different if Illinois had a senior QB (2013 Scheelhaase) or a lot of returning well-known players (2008), but this is still a fairly unknown offense that did really well last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.