Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,101      
Correct, one of the major 2018 themes was Rod Smith, but that doesn't preclude him being a big part of Illinois' success next year. This would be different if Illinois had a senior QB (2013 Scheelhaase) or a lot of returning well-known players (2008), but this is still a fairly unknown offense that did really well last year.

I appreciate these and believe you are right. But from what I have heard, there is a headline that will emerge in the next 6 months, that will likely be the storyline of the year, if we win 7 or 8 games.

Plus, I am thinking our defense will improve similar to the way the offense improved last season. But I still believe the offense will be the story and will see a considerable bump depending on health

#2,102      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I appreciate these and believe you are right. But from what I have heard, there is a headline that will emerge in the next 6 months, that will likely be the storyline of the year, if we win 7 or 8 games.

Plus, I am thinking our defense will improve similar to the way the offense improved last season. But I still believe the offense will be the story and will see a considerable bump depending on health

I'm in agreement with the offense being the star (both by better performance and likelihood to improve). The best-case scenario is the defense making a significant leap. The program's long-term investment is in Lovie, so if he can lead the unit to making the leap in 2019, it provides the optimism going forward. If the defense continues to struggle, concerns get louder about a defensive coach that cannot lead a successful defense. Plus, Rod Smith could become such an attractive OC that he gets serious offers to move up to better programs. At that point, it could be too much for him to ignore.

#2,103      

Deleted member 654622

D
I am going to assume the storyline is a Tate transferring to ILL. And I will not hear any discussions saying otherwise. I am on that cloud and I ain't coming down. With him under center, we are going to a bowl.

#2,104      
I'm in agreement with the offense being the star (both by better performance and likelihood to improve). The best-case scenario is the defense making a significant leap. The program's long-term investment is in Lovie, so if he can lead the unit to making the leap in 2019, it provides the optimism going forward. If the defense continues to struggle, concerns get louder about a defensive coach that cannot lead a successful defense. Plus, Rod Smith could become such an attractive OC that he gets serious offers to move up to better programs. At that point, it could be too much for him to ignore.

I may be wrong but I don't think Smith will leave for another coordinator job unless this season goes horribly wrong. If this offense improves on the previous season he will likely garner even more head coaching opportunities. If Tate did end up here and they replicate their 2017 season, I think he absolutely will receive many head coaching chances.

It will be interesting to see what Lovie's long term plan is. I'm sure he wants to establish Illinois as a success and then he could choose to walk off after a successful rebuild.

The best case scenario imo:

2019- A Tate led offense and improved defense lead us to 7+ wins.
2020- An extremely experienced team builds on 2019 with and offense and defense both contributing equally.
2021- Lovie retires and Rod Smith takes over

#2,105      
I may be wrong but I don't think Smith will leave for another coordinator job unless this season goes horribly wrong. If this offense improves on the previous season he will likely garner even more head coaching opportunities. If Tate did end up here and they replicate their 2017 season, I think he absolutely will receive many head coaching chances.

It will be interesting to see what Lovie's long term plan is. I'm sure he wants to establish Illinois as a success and then he could choose to walk off after a successful rebuild.

The best case scenario imo:

2019- A Tate led offense and improved defense lead us to 7+ wins.
2020- An extremely experienced team builds on 2019 with and offense and defense both contributing equally.
2021- Lovie retires and Rod Smith takes over

2021 isn’t Lovies last year if the team is doing well. Lovie said, when he came, he wanted to compete for big championships year in and year out. In the west, that doesn’t take much.

I actually wonder what will happen after next season with a. Bowl game and a significant leap on offense. I hope we can keep Rod for a few more years, but I’m not sure.

#2,106      
2021 isn’t Lovies last year if the team is doing well. Lovie said, when he came, he wanted to compete for big championships year in and year out. In the west, that doesn’t take much.

I actually wonder what will happen after next season with a. Bowl game and a significant leap on offense. I hope we can keep Rod for a few more years, but I’m not sure.

I don't think it will be his last season either, but sometimes the job is harder and more stressful than you think when you first sign on.

I will be kind of surprised if we have Rod after next season.

#2,107      
Football coaches are edge-case workaholics. They're fanatics. They don't retire by choice, because the idea of not having a full day's work ahead of them holds no appeal, outside of vacations. If he's winning, Lovie will probably be here until his body can't take those hours anymore.

And if Lovie and Rod turn Illinois into a program that's regularly competing for Division and League titles, what's the incentive to move? We'll have a full stadium and be able to compete salary-wise with all but the very top programs. These guys would be set for life financially and enjoying all the benefits of winning in the B1G while being worshipped by one of the best fan bases in the country (when we're winning).

In fact, if that scenario played out, Illinois would become a destination job rather than the stepping stone program we've always been. So much upside comes available with winning.

Lovie, please be the guy to prove it. I'm begging you man!

#2,108      

Deleted member 11196

D
Football coaches are edge-case workaholics. They're fanatics. They don't retire by choice, because the idea of not having a full day's work ahead of them holds no appeal, outside of vacations. If he's winning, Lovie will probably be here until his body can't take those hours anymore.

And if Lovie and Rod turn Illinois into a program that's regularly competing for Division and League titles, what's the incentive to move? We'll have a full stadium and be able to compete salary-wise with all but the very top programs. These guys would be set for life financially and enjoying all the benefits of winning in the B1G while being worshipped by one of the best fan bases in the country (when we're winning).

In fact, if that scenario played out, Illinois would become a destination job rather than the stepping stone program we've always been. So much upside comes available with winning.

Lovie, please be the guy to prove it. I'm begging you man!

I'm kinda dense sometimes and I'm getting really old... Could you explain the bolded part a little better? Please ?

#2,109      
I'm kinda dense sometimes and I'm getting really old... Could you explain the bolded part a little better? Please ?
Perhaps "always" is an exaggeration, but when you're not a blue blood, you're a stepping stone for coaches on the rise. Alternatively, you can also be a safe harbor for coaches on the way down. Zook and Lovie are both examples of coaches who have been to the mountaintop but ended up fired. They've been in the spotlight and seen the good and the bad of it, and want one more chance to prove that their system will bring the wins.

But I'm kinda dense, too...could you explain how we're NOT a stepping stone?

#2,110      

Deleted member 11241

D
Perhaps "always" is an exaggeration, but when you're not a blue blood, you're a stepping stone for coaches on the rise. Alternatively, you can also be a safe harbor for coaches on the way down. Zook and Lovie are both examples of coaches who have been to the mountaintop but ended up fired. They've been in the spotlight and seen the good and the bad of it, and want one more chance to prove that their system will bring the wins.

But I'm kinda dense, too...could you explain how we're NOT a stepping stone?

I think most people would say that a stepping stone means coaches that use the opportunity to make themselves more attractive and springboard themselves into higher profile jobs/positions. We haven't exactly been the program to do that for coaches, more like they come here for their careers to die.

#2,111      

Deleted member 649710

D
I think most people would say that a stepping stone means coaches that use the opportunity to make themselves more attractive and springboard themselves into higher profile jobs/positions. We haven't exactly been the program to do that for coaches, more like they come here for their careers to die.
The last head coach here with a winning record stepped up to U. of Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
#2,112      

Deleted member 654622

D
I would say we were still viewed as a stepping stone, regardless of the actual results. If someone thinks they will just come to IL for a few years and move to a better job after some success, then we are a stepping stone. It doesn't matter if we are covered in black ice and a lot of people fall on their arse. We are still a stepping stone

#2,113      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I would say we were still viewed as a stepping stone, regardless of the actual results. If someone thinks they will just come to IL for a few years and move to a better job after some success, then we are a stepping stone. It doesn't matter if we are covered in black ice and a lot of people fall on their arse. We are still a stepping stone
What looks like a stepping stone turns out to be a millstone.

#2,114      
boy, you guys are living in the clouds... sure hope you are right, but I don't see it.

#2,115      

Maybe, unless they talk to him about taking over once Lovie retires.

#2,116      

BZuppke

Plainfield

I disagree with this. MAC schools are stepping stones. No coach in Illinois history other than mackovic used Illinois as a stepping stone. If Zook, Turner, Tepper, or Beckman had consistent success here I do not believe any of them would have looked for the next job. Each coach has different circumstances and goals. Would Turner have been lured back to the pros? Maybe. In basketball Self wasn’t interested in moving on until his dream job came along. I just don’t think there is any support for the idea that Illinois is a stepping stone. Our history shows otherwise.

#2,117      

Deleted member 654622

D
I disagree with this. MAC schools are stepping stones. No coach in Illinois history other than mackovic used Illinois as a stepping stone. If Zook, Turner, Tepper, or Beckman had consistent success here I do not believe any of them would have looked for the next job. Each coach has different circumstances and goals. Would Turner have been lured back to the pros? Maybe. In basketball Self wasn’t interested in moving on until his dream job came along. I just don’t think there is any support for the idea that Illinois is a stepping stone. Our history shows otherwise.
Well as I stated, history has nothing to do with perception.
My viewpoint, nothing wrong if anyone disagrees, is that if a school is not your goal destination, then it is a stepping stone. If a coach has success here, and the coach would rather be somewhere else, you could call it a place holder if you would like. But in that particular coach's mind, school X is higher on his priority chart, and he used IL to get there

#2,118      

illini80

Forgottonia
Really there isn’t much data other than Mackovic, period. Pretty much every other coach I can remember offhand was fired for either losing or scandal so there really wasn’t any opportunity to move to higher ground.

#2,119      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

Does anyone remember if Turner (after 2001) or Zook (after 2007) were considered for any other head jobs? Can't remember.

#2,120      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Does anyone remember if Turner (after 2001) or Zook (after 2007) were considered for any other head jobs? Can't remember.
wasn't Turner the head coach down at FIU for a couple years, 4-5 years ago ?

I never heard Zook mentioned for a P5 or even Group of % job. Maybe there was an opportunity in FCS or DII that I didn't hear about.

#2,121      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH

I never heard Zook mentioned for a P5 or even Group of % job. Maybe there was an opportunity in FCS or DII that I didn't hear about.

I'm talking about, following their best seasons at Illinois, did a top tier school in college or NFL interview them or think about interviewing them? Such as, did Turner get a chance at a NFL head job after the 2001 season?

#2,122      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I never heard any talk whatsoever that either guy had any opportunities. Both guys successes were unexpected in the year it occurred , and neither could sustain it. I don't think any higher level program took either coach that seriously yet.

Had either been able to continue their success, Turner more that likely would have been back in the pros within 3-4 years as HC. He hated recruiting.

Zook never struck me as an NFL head coach, as recruiting was his deal anyway. Zook would have LOVED to still be the HC here had he had success.

#2,123      

Turner
FIU head coach 2013-16

#2,125      

BZuppke

Plainfield
Well as I stated, history has nothing to do with perception.
My viewpoint, nothing wrong if anyone disagrees, is that if a school is not your goal destination, then it is a stepping stone. If a coach has success here, and the coach would rather be somewhere else, you could call it a place holder if you would like. But in that particular coach's mind, school X is higher on his priority chart, and he used IL to get there
And what coach do you think has come here with the stepping stone idea in mind? I can say Tepper, White, Zook, Turner, Beckman and Lovie (pretty much all but Mackovic) came here to be successful at Illinois. Now if they had sustained success would other offers have come along? Maybe but we don’t know Turner didn’t come here to burnish his credentials to return to the nfl. He was better placed to stay in the nfl. Same with Lovie. Zook would never have left if not pushed. Same with Tepper and most likely Beckman. Just as Brohm turned down Louisville. You are correct at that the coach with the intent to use a school to move on to something better is more the issue than the school itself. Urban Meyer, Gary Barnett and Saban are examples of coaches who use schools as stepping stones. Barry Alvarez (ND wanted him), Brohm, possibly Matt Campbell and many others are coaches that stick around to enjoy their success. Is West Virginia a stepping stone school because Holgerson left? MSU and LSU because Saban left? No it’s not the school. It is the person/coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.