Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,251      
Let me save you some time and analysis, simply look at Mendenhall pre and post coach Lou.

Coach Hernandez puts players in the NFL. This is a great get for the program.

Just a quick antecdote from back in Coach Lou's days here.

Chase Daniel QB of the Mizzou team who routinely whipped our butts was asked which team he faced that was the most physically intimidating. I'm paraphrasing here and said that easy Illinois, they looked like an NFL team. Mizzou was in Big 12 back then and played the likes of Texas, Oklahoma etc.

Obviously we were bringing in some studs, but Coach Lou is legit.

#2,252      
Just did some research man this is crazy mendenhall, benn, Wilson, Cumberland, juice, asamoah ( he is a alumi of my high school), liuget, vonte Davis, mercilus. The goat Mitch trubisky, and two stud wide receiver and a 3 rd defensive end from (unc) so the some legit talent. Just thing about it Bobby roundtree, reggie Corbin, mike espin, marquez beason get there name call in the NFL draft. It made me so happy when Dawuane smoot got his name call.

#2,253      
Yep. I'm sure there will be new excuses this year. 1 player showed noticeable improvement in 2018, Roundtree. We had guys banged up both years. And 2017 we were playing almost all frosh/soph vs soph/jr in 2018.

Clark recruited well but the jury's out on his ability to teach.

Excuses don’t matter this year.

#2,255      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
images

man. I just only wish we could get Chuck Norris and about 100 of his total gyms set up in the basement of Lincoln Hall and go total old school

1550670621900.jpeg
^^ that's what I'm talking about ^^

#2,259      
Have you guys gone bonkers? Have you forgotten the Claeys culture? Did you forget the sexual assaults by football players and recruits, and Coach Claeys congratulating players for cheap shots against the Illini? I like Coach Kill and I'm sorry he feels butt-hurt, but that was a toxic culture when Fleck took over.

#2,260      

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Fine with the McClain hire. Not great and looks semi-lazy, but the timing of the search makes sense for this type of hire. Completely different than hiring Miles Smith.

#2,261      
Have you guys gone bonkers? Have you forgotten the Claeys culture? Did you forget the sexual assaults by football players and recruits, and Coach Claeys congratulating players for cheap shots against the Illini? I like Coach Kill and I'm sorry he feels butt-hurt, but that was a toxic culture when Fleck took over.

I agree the UM culture was toxic when Fleck came in and Kill is from a generation far more "hard-nosed" than the present; his opinion clearly reflects that, however, to his point about Fleck being primarily about himself and all the dramatics prancing up and down the sidelines and the beckman-like acronyms and mottos.....kill is spot on with that criticism. IMO.

But as a guy who is still working in the industry, I'd be careful what I said if I were Kill right now. Don't want to burn too many bridges.

#2,262      

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
Fine with the McClain hire. Not great and looks semi-lazy, but the timing of the search makes sense for this type of hire. Completely different than hiring Miles Smith.

What does "looks lazy" even mean?

#2,268      

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
Rod Smith brought him to the staff last year. Rod Smith wanted him as the OLine coach...I am cool with it

the bolded might have been the main reason Luke Butkus left . Rod is entitled to have his guys in place, if he wants

#2,269      
the bolded might have been the main reason Luke Butkus left . Rod is entitled to have his guys in place, if he wants

I think you could be right. But some coaches are better off in the NFL than in college and vice versa. It takes a special breed of human to coach offensive and defensive line. I also think the jury is still out on Coach Clark. I love watching good d-line play. I didn't see many guys getting into secondary moves. Which could be due to inexperience. I think Coach Clark has a lot to prove and he seems like he is very active recruiting. I have faith in him, but the line has no reason not being our strength on defense next year. I grew up watching a Coach Smith defense and the one player that always showed up was Tommie Harris. This defense needs a dog of a 3 technique. Hopefully we have that dog next year.

#2,271      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I think you could be right. But some coaches are better off in the NFL than in college and vice versa. It takes a special breed of human to coach offensive and defensive line. I also think the jury is still out on Coach Clark. I love watching good d-line play. I didn't see many guys getting into secondary moves. Which could be due to inexperience. I think Coach Clark has a lot to prove and he seems like he is very active recruiting. I have faith in him, but the line has no reason not being our strength on defense next year. I grew up watching a Coach Smith defense and the one player that always showed up was Tommie Harris. This defense needs a dog of a 3 technique. Hopefully we have that dog next year.

It does. Far too early to decide whether Clark is a good coach. OTOH, early returns on his recruiting look good.

#2,275      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
So as an Illinois alum living in the Twin Cities, I get to see the Fleck circus up close and personal. He comes off as one of those guys who is always trying to look busy but isn't necessarily the most efficient. He is a bigger deal to us because Illinois and Minny are similarly "successful" programs in recent vintage. And since he is from the Chicago area and coached at two pretty decent programs within three hours of Chicago, Fleck seems to have better-developed relationships with high school coaches in the Chicago area. So his pulling of Illinois talent is particularly galling.

Also, he's like a windup toy who drinks diet Red Bull and watches Glengarry/Glenross and Boiler Room every day. So sure, he's annoying. But nothing he's done says to me "sustained excellence at U of Mn." Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Fleck is just an easy and fun target but in the end, it'll be Scott Frost we have to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.