Football Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,351      
The Illinois on-field staff is now complete with 10 full-time assistants.

Illinois head coach Lovie Smith announced Wednesday the hiring of-

Mike Bellamy as running backs coach
Bob McClain as offensive line coach
Lou Hernandez as strength and conditioning coach

https://fightingillini.com/news/201...cclain-hernandez-added-to-illinois-staff.aspx
Lots of love for Lou on Twitter from former players....
Does Whitman really have to extend after next year? Wasn’t the extension this year for 2 additional years? It really made a lot of the sense assuming a 6-6 year this year. No need to extend 2 years in a row. And keeps the buyout low if 2020 is a step back.

If true, this makes it worse for me. Tells me either nobody wants to work for Lovie, or Lovie doesn’t want anyone on the defense with experience in a different defensive philosophy.
seems like the hires were about connections. Bellamy and Lou, previous ILL staffs.
Miles smith.
Bob McLain. Rod smith connection last year, then moved up.
Hudson connection to Clark and monte Kiffin.
Going back further...
Clark connection to Kiffin (possibly but not sure, might be confused.
Patterson, connect from recruiting trail.
Byrd lovie connection.
Abraham lovie connection
Rod smith outside hire. Don’t know a connection here.

#2,352      
Just curious.

Are you saying that Lovie was unable to find experienced coaches that would mesh with his ideas?

That is exactly correct. No experienced coach with any amount of success was going to step into a role with no input over scheme and play calling.

Lovie is either righting the ship or going down with it. I’d guess the latter if I was making a wager, based on what we’ve seen from the defense (his defense) in years leading up to this moment.

#2,353      
That is exactly correct. No experienced coach with any amount of success was going to step into a role with no input over scheme and play calling.

Lovie is either righting the ship or going down with it. I’d guess the latter if I was making a wager, based on what we’ve seen from the defense (his defense) in years leading up to this moment.

Although I appreciate the take, I find it hard to believe that Lovie Smith didn’t have any coaches that would want to work with him. But I don’t know anything g

#2,355      
Bellamy is a great hire.
Bob McClain???? I hope MJRivers and Isiah Williams like scrambling for their lives with that dope in charge of the O Line. Terrible Hire

#2,357      
Bellamy is a great hire.
Bob McClain???? I hope MJRivers and Isiah Williams like scrambling for their lives with that dope in charge of the O Line. Terrible Hire

Would you mind elaborating? I'm personally skeptical of the hires as well, however your take is very extreme. To consider Bellamy a "great" hire and McClain "terrible" is a head scratcher. But maybe you have inside info on McClain....?

#2,359      
Would you mind elaborating? I'm personally skeptical of the hires as well, however your take is very extreme. To consider Bellamy a "great" hire and McClain "terrible" is a head scratcher. But maybe you have inside info on McClain....?
Bellamy played here and was a co-captain for the citrus bowl team. He’s a proven recruiter. McClain was an “analyst” last year! Not exactly sure what that means, but it doesn’t mean great Line coach

#2,360      

Deleted member 654622

D
Bellamy played here and was a co-captain for the citrus bowl team. He’s a proven recruiter. McClain was an “analyst” last year! Not exactly sure what that means, but it doesn’t mean great Line coach
Ok. You are either trolling or lazy. Your last two post says enough to me. I have never blocked anyone before today. Congrats.....

#2,361      

I think you're assuming a bit. Having played here/captaining a team is not much of a qualifier for a "great" coaching hire. I think he's got great potential as a recruiter though, so I'm bullish on the hire.

As far as OL I personally would've rather we looked towards Justice or kicked the tires on Frey but if McClain is Rod's pick and a guy Rod trusts then I'll give him at least some benefit of the doubt. An "analyst" in a CFB office anymore is a general title given to someone who you want on your staff but you've already filled out your alotted "coaching" titles. So, it could go either way. Obviously his resume is far different than when Mike Locksley, for example, was an "analyst" at Alabama.

#2,363      

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA

Can you read his bio and then come back and tell us what you think....he has been around the block....albeit not at some of the largest schools but come on man

#2,364      
Can you read his bio and then come back and tell us what you think....he has been around the block....albeit not at some of the largest schools but come on man
Bellamy will be great.
He loves this University and will be able to sell that to recruits.

#2,366      

Deleted member 29907

D
...and you're trying to reason with Joe the Hater because???

#2,371      

Deleted member 654622

D
Lol Joe Hater. I wasn't thrilled with the hire bur the current O-lineman think the world of him.
That is good to know. Considering what we perceive as one of the strongest units of the team, we need them to have another solid year.

#2,372      

Deleted member 645583

D
Bellamy said all the right things, except his guys will find a job after college with IBM or the NY Jets? IBM, fine; Jets fine. How about Chicago Bears? Get with the program. Weird hire.

#2,374      

Deleted member 645583

D
Dre Brown: a happy, healthy next season. Show 'em what you can do when your legs (knees)! are strong.

Go DeKalb - 4th in state wrestling 3A (they almost beat Montini!) and a power in football, too. Go Barbs!

As always, GO ILLINI!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.