Football/Men's & Women's Hoops B1G losing streak

1127 days

That's the cumulative number of days that the Illinois football, men and women's basketball teams have gone since their last B10 wins.

Football - Nov. 5, 2016 (438 days ago) - Illinois 31, Michigan State 27
Men's basketball - March 1, 2017 (322 days ago) - Illinois 73, Michigan State 70
Women's basketball - Jan. 15, 2017 (367 days ago) - Illinois 79, Nebraska 59

We actually did better than this in the aftermath of the slush fund that resulted in all manner of player and coaching defections and dismissals. In 1967 the football team went 3-4 in conference though that dropped to 1-6 & 0-7 the next two years. Men's basketball went 6-8, 9-5 and 8-6 over the same time frame. Women's basketball wasn't yet an intercollegiate sport in those days.

Is there a path back to respectability or is this indicative of our future?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
While the point is valid, that's like saying it's been 895 days since me or any of my 3 brothers had a birthday.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I sure hope not, but until the teams start winning it's hard to say no. Just like in wagering, "the trend is your friend." It's one thing to be mediocre but it's stunning how uncompetitive the programs have become within the conference.

I wont pretend to understand the WBB situation, but our football program, over the past 6ish years, could be the worst P5 team. Our basketball program has been on the decline since the last half of Weber's stint (and honestly since the 2004-5 season.)

There are brighter days ahead, and I don't really like blaming a single person for the issues we've had, but Thomas did nothing but dig the hole deeper and harder to get out of.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Ha put yourself in my shoes, I've shot all but 4 home games (WBB) during this streak, for all 3 teams. It's tough sometimes, but you go and hope that you'll shoot a win. For salt in the wound, add in the last two season's of Soccer.

Has there ever been a school year this bad for the major Illini sports?

Conference records
Football: 0-8
Men's Basketball: 0-7
Women's basketball: 0-7

I know there's still time for the basketball teams to pick up some wins (which I think the men's team will at some point). But so far, things are looking historically bad.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Conference records
Football: 0-8
Men's Basketball: 0-7
Women's basketball: 0-7

I know there's still time for the basketball teams to pick up some wins (which I think the men's team will at some point). But so far, things are looking historically bad.
Well women's BB has only been a varsity sport since about the early 80s and no I don't think we've been this bad in all 3 since then. Taking it out and going back further for just the men's sports I'm not sure.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Last year across the board was the worst I can remember, this year so far isn't as bad as last year with Volleyball making the NCAA's. But it isn't far behind. Hopefully the rest of the Olympic sports, make the rest of the year fun to cover.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
the current on field talent we have , compared to the other B1G programs, in the major sports, is lacking.

we have a ways to go. its not necessarily our future, but it is indicative of how terribly the school and AthDept was managed for about 10-12 years.

sadly, we have a long ways to go before we are truly competing for championships in either of the 3 sports in the original post.

its pretty tough being an Illini fan when talking to neighbors or work colleagues.

the current on field talent we have , compared to the other B1G programs, in the major sports, is lacking.

we have a ways to go. its not necessarily our future, but it is indicative of how terribly the school and AthDept was managed for about 10-12 years.

sadly, we have a long ways to go before we are truly competing for championships in either of the 3 sports in the original post.

its pretty tough being an Illini fan when talking to neighbors or work colleagues.

Ain't that the truth :eek::mad::tsk: