Former BBall Recruiting Targets

Something inspired me to take a look at some of our notable former recruiting targets (as well as some former players who've transferred) and see how they're doing at this point in their careers. I wanted to make it a separate thread to keep the Recruiting Thread for active / future recruits.

I've excluded players who've played in the Big 10 / Mizzou as most of us are probably fairly aware of where they're at in their careers. I essentially used 247's offers page for each recruiting class to populate this list, and filtered by the names that I remember standing out as interesting prospects at one point or another.

Players are grouped by the class we recruited them in. I've included TJ Holyfield, who we recruited as a transfer, in the 2019 class as that's when he would have joined us, despite being a part of a different high school class. Under the Current Team column, teams with text in red are non-D1 teams (pro, juco, d-2, etc.). I've only included players that are currently playing college basketball, so mostly Class of 2016 on-wards, plus some 5th year players in the HS 2015 class.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vHmKWp6wHIZd3_XHipfmb5j0tdA7wjNEDD5y3HcQz5U/edit?usp=sharing

Notable observations:
  • Te'Jon Lucas doing pretty well for himself at UW-Milwaukee this season
  • Jordan Goodwin continuing to kill it on an individual stats level at SLU
  • Terrence Shannon has seemingly done very well at Texas Tech as a freshman. Not shooting much, but scoring at a decent clip, and saw a couple articles praising his defensive versatility.
This is not meant to be a "wE nEeD tO rEcRuIt BeTtEr, LoOk At AlL tHeSe MiSsEs" kind of post, but more of a, "Hey, remember that guy?".

If there's any names I missed that people want added to the spreadsheet, let me know!

Te'Jon Lucas

That shooting percentage though... 42.6 in a low league.

You should add Mark Smith, Tillmon, Pickett, etc. Is Samba Kane playing?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Thanks for your hard work. I am always extremely interested in this stuff.

3 key players for Mizzou

plus a player from B/N that was at OSU and now in the NBA in Bates Diop

Misssing on him and Okoro was frustrating since they were so close to home

edit: beat me to it

Last edited:
Te'Jon Lucas

That shooting percentage though... 42.6 in a low league.

You should add Mark Smith, Tillmon, Pickett, etc. Is Samba Kane playing?

Smith, Tilmon, Pickett, Kane (Indian Hills CC), Anthony Higgs (Chipola College) added.

sacraig

The desert
Something inspired me to take a look at some of our notable former recruiting targets (as well as some former players who've transferred) and see how they're doing at this point in their careers. I wanted to make it a separate thread to keep the Recruiting Thread for active / future recruits.

I've excluded players who've played in the Big 10 / Mizzou as most of us are probably fairly aware of where they're at in their careers. I essentially used 247's offers page for each recruiting class to populate this list, and filtered by the names that I remember standing out as interesting prospects at one point or another.

Players are grouped by the class we recruited them in. I've included TJ Holyfield, who we recruited as a transfer, in the 2019 class as that's when he would have joined us, despite being a part of a different high school class. Under the Current Team column, teams with text in red are non-D1 teams (pro, juco, d-2, etc.). I've only included players that are currently playing college basketball, so mostly Class of 2016 on-wards, plus some 5th year players in the HS 2015 class.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vHmKWp6wHIZd3_XHipfmb5j0tdA7wjNEDD5y3HcQz5U/edit?usp=sharing

Notable observations:
  • Terrence Shannon has seemingly done very well at Texas Tech as a freshman. Not shooting much, but scoring at a decent clip, and saw a couple articles praising his defensive versatility.
This is not meant to be a "wE nEeD tO rEcRuIt BeTtEr, LoOk At AlL tHeSe MiSsEs" kind of post, but more of a, "Hey, remember that guy?".

If there's any names I missed that people want added to the spreadsheet, let me know!

This is pretty cool, but you forgot Matt Chastain.

This is pretty cool, but you forgot Matt Chastain.
How about Alonzo Verge? Just saw him hit a game winner against Arizona last weekend. Not sure how seriously we recruited him, but was definitely a favorite of some on this board.

Chastain and Verge are two of the kind of names that are perfect for this, both added. Verge I added under the 2019 class as that is what he is considered coming out of Juco.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
I guess I'm just an old grouch but I couldnt care less about the guys that didnt come here or that came here and left. I much prefer to pay attention to the ones that want to be here. We have a pretty good group on campus now and a couple of top 50 guys coming in. No need for me to wonder about what might have been. At 65 I like to live in the present and look ahead, not in the rearview mirror.

sacraig

The desert
I guess I'm just an old grouch but I couldnt care less about the guys that didnt come here or that came here and left. I much prefer to pay attention to the ones that want to be here. We have a pretty good group on campus now and a couple of top 50 guys coming in. No need for me to wonder about what might have been. At 65 I like to live in the present and look ahead, not in the rearview mirror.

So... just don't visit this thread, then.

It's a fun exercise in seeing which of the former recruits our posters were rightfully (e.g. Goodwin) and wrongfully (e.g. Chastain) wringing their hands over.

Of all the players listed which one is doing the best that is still playing? I know it is subjective. I thought Te Jon Lucas was a good player.

sacraig

The desert
Of all the players listed which one is doing the best that is still playing? I know it is subjective. I thought Te Jon Lucas was a good player.

I'd probably argue Jordan Goodwin or Charlie Moore, though Te'Jon Lucas is up there in that general ballpark, at least.

Added in Barttorviks PORPAGATU (Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage) for some #nerdstats.

Top by PORPAGATU:
3.5 - Filip Petrusev
3.3 - Nate Hinton
3.2 - Charlie Moore
3.2 - Oscar Tshiebwe
3.2 - Xavier Sneed

Bottom:
-0.6 - Elias Valtonen
-0.2 - Markese Jacobs
-0.2 - DJ Williams
-0.1 - Kahlil Whitney.

For reference, our regulars in PORPAGATU:

3.8 - Ayo
3.8 - Kofi
3.0 - Trent
2.9 - Alan
2.9 - Andres
1.6 - Giorgi
-0.1 - Kipper
-0.2 - Hamlin
-0.7 - Tevian
-1.2 - DaMonte

Last edited:

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Added in Barttorviks PORPAGATU (Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage) for some #nerdstats.

Top by PORPAGATU:
3.5 - Filip Petrusev
3.3 - Nate Hinton
3.2 - Charlie Moore
3.2 - Oscar Tshiebwe
3.2 - Xavier Sneed

Bottom:
-0.6 - Elias Valtonen
-0.2 - Markese Jacobs
-0.2 - DJ Williams
-0.1 - Kahlil Whitney.

For reference, our regulars in PORPAGATU:

3.8 - Ayo
3.8 - Kofi
3.0 - Trent
2.9 - Alan
2.9 - Andres
1.6 - Giorgi
-0.1 - Kipper
-0.2 - Hamlin
-0.7 - Tevian
-1.2 - DaMonte
Does this stat only take into offensive production? I've never really looked into this stat before and I'm about to walk out of work so not enough time to Google so I'm going to be lazy lol

Notable observations:

I wouldn't mind having Xavier Sneed or Nate Hinton added to our current roster this year, in exchange for 1 of the transfers. Except for those 2 I don't think I'd trade anyone on our current roster for any of those players.

Does this stat only take into offensive production? I've never really looked into this stat before and I'm about to walk out of work so not enough time to Google so I'm going to be lazy lol

That's my understanding of it. Basically a function of offensive rating, minutes percentage, team possessions, and usage rate. Nothing to do with defense, obviously a big reason DMW is so low.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Way cool. I thought about doing something like this but would have done a much crappier job. So far the only name I don't see (and I surely could have missed it) is Colin Castleton. He was down to Illinois and Michigan.

Sorry, just re-read your original post and saw that you didn't include players from the B1G. Mea culpa

Last edited:
Way cool. I thought about doing something like this but would have done a much crappier job. So far the only name I don't see (and I surely could have missed it) is Colin Castleton. He was down to Illinois and Michigan.
And someone said they'd trade Ayo for him! Can't remember who, but they were serious! Haha.

Added.

I saw Ryan Kalkbrenner, 7 footer from Trinity Catholic last Friday, Illinois and Purdue both wanted him, he is going to Creighton. Collinsville had him talking to himself. Only had 5 points going into the 4th quarter.

Raysean Taylor of Collinsville a 6'1" leaper went off for 53 points against TC. Only had 3 three pointers, everything else hard drives into the lane. In the course of 4 minutes in the 4th quarter, Taylor took the ball right at Kalkbrenner for his 3rd, 4th and 5th fouls. I liked Kalkbrenners coordination but Taylor makes athletic people look unathletic.