Former Illini baseball coach Augie Garrido passed away

He was here right before I was. Didn't hear the whole story about how he came over from Long Beach St. for 3 years and then went right back to LBS.

It's still pretty amazing that a coach of that stature was at Illinois considering the relatively low profile Big 10 baseball was at the time he was here.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
He was here right before I was. Didn't hear the whole story about how he came over from Long Beach St. for 3 years and then went right back to LBS.

It's still pretty amazing that a coach of that stature was at Illinois considering the relatively low profile Big 10 baseball was at the time he was here.

Cal State Fullerton

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Auggie lived down the street from my mom's house while he lived here in Champaign, a really nice guy, and of course a great coach.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
We had hired Neale Stoner away from CalState Fullerton in Fall 1979 when I was a frosh, and the first thing he did was fire Gary Moeller and hire Mike White , who he knew from being in California all those years.

Make no mistake, the only reason Augie came here was because he knew Neale real well and Neale was able to throw him a significant raise compared to what CSF was paying him . I mean no disrespect to CSF, as its probably an okay school for the people its supposed to serve, but its not the big time. The only reason anyone in the midwest had heard of CSF was baseball world series appearances and championships.

Soon after Neale got fired , Augie left town to go back to CSF , where winning baseball games was much easier. I knew a few baseball players back in 1979-1983 . While a varsity sport, and the players got either full or partial rides, B1G baseball back then was way down the totem pole of bigtime college baseball. Weather and academics made it really hard to get the truly gifted players to come here. Michigan and Indiana come to mind as the schools that often won conference.