#FreeTevian

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
I don't care where the terms of the suspension are being dictated from. Unless it comes out that Tevian Jones is masterminding some kind of international criminal cartel, this is ridiculous.

This isn't a thread for debating the suspension, just for supporting the #movement. There is one (1) way to reclaim some value from this totally lost, dumpster fire of a year, and that is spending the remainder of the season playing the freshmen. 2019 needs to be the year of Tevian, Griffin, and Samba.

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL
I don't care where the terms of the suspension are being dictated from. Unless it comes out that Tevian Jones is masterminding some kind of international criminal cartel, this is ridiculous.

This isn't a thread for debating the suspension, just for supporting the #movement. There is one (1) way to reclaim some value from this totally lost, dumpster fire of a year, and that is spending the remainder of the season playing the freshmen. 2019 needs to be the year of Tevian, Griffin, and Samba.

I am 100% behind this !!

It is absolutely true that we need to be playing the freshmen in the hopes that we can do something next year.
#FreeTevian

Starting Lineup

Kane @ 5
Giorgi @ 4
Jones @ 3
Ayo @ 2
Trent @ 1

I know I know....Jordan, Kipper, Williams, Griffin and our best defensive guy off the bench. The team will get beat up in B1G anyway, if the kids are going to take a beating from the competition and the staff, let them play and deserve it at least? Red shirt Higgs, can Jones redshirt? If so, then put Griffin in his place or Jordan?

It surprises me how many people are in on this free Tevian thing. Though I might jump over if he doesn't suit up for NW.

Deleted member 746094

D
If his suspension is indeed due to a failed drug test, which is what some have speculated, and it is a DIA mandated 25% suspension then UoI needs to update their policies. I spoke to two assistant coaches this weekend that coached at Top 25 (football) programs this year and they said this is ridiculous and way behind the times. Typically this is a one game suspension or “handled internally”. One of them argued that I was getting wrong information and said there is something more to his suspension. It will never be public as per student privacy laws.

FREE TEVIAN! He may be the only high level athlete on our current roster and he missed out on ample opportunities to gain experience before the B10 starts.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If his suspension is indeed due to a failed drug test, which is what some have speculated, and it is a DIA mandated 25% suspension then UoI needs to update their policies.

Yup. To be completely frank, the DIA's drug testing policy is allowed by NCAA rules to be and ought and must be as arbitrary and cynical as possible.

That's my hard-headed rational take. My sincere deeply felt take is that it's an affirmative good for college kids to be experimenting with drugs, within reason.

I'm pretty sure that the 25% rule is for a second failed drug test fwiw. So Tevian hasn't even been on campus 1 year, and has failed 2 drug tests, and you think that the punishment is too harsh? And you think experimentation with drugs is a good thing? You guys are off of your rockers.

illini80

Forgottonia
I'm pretty sure that the 25% rule is for a second failed drug test fwiw. So Tevian hasn't even been on campus 1 year, and has failed 2 drug tests, and you think that the punishment is too harsh? And you think experimentation with drugs is a good thing? You guys are off of your rockers.
That was my understanding as well.

So you can get smashed on alcohol every night and nothing happens, but get caught smoking weed a couple times and you lose 25% season?

This is some outdated reefer madness here. Time for Illinois to catch up a bit with the tide

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

Do you guys remember how long we suspended Luther Head and company for breaking into an apartment? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Do you guys remember how long we suspended Luther Head and company for breaking into an apartment? I'll hang up and wait for your answer.
If I remember right it was 4 games. Yeah, Pretty ridiculous to sit 8 for something much less egregious. Then again, I can see it both ways. I'm sure Tev was told of the policy and what would happen if he broke it a second time.

I am all for playing Tevian and the freshman, not so much because we know he is so good, but mainly for the reason that we have not seen what he can and cannot do. But if he was suspended for disciplinary reasons, he has to serve his suspension and fix those personal issues whatever those are. There is no basis for really evaluating that suspension and coming to a judgment that it is too harsh. Especially considering that the University has been traditionally very lenient on their disciplinary actions (Luther, Jereme, Darius, etc.) and I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden we became tougher than anyone else.

I think people are jumping into conclusions on what has really happened, but general statements like "it is good for college kids to be experimenting with drugs" are way over the top and I personally disagree with.

This should be his last game unless BU holds him out longer and he isn't going to transfer.

I'm sure Tev was told of the policy and what would happen if he broke it a second time.

Perhaps, but 8 games is wildly out of proportion if it was indeed a detectable amount of weed. The drug war is in most folk's opinion, a failure at best, and a dirty, targeted political ploy according to the guy who came up with it for Nixon. Many states have legalized it entirely, and if it weren't for the drug companies basically lying about putting it on the federal schedule of "no known medical use", which btw is also factually incorrect, it wouldn't be an issue at all. That said, the rules are the rules, and I would think a suspension would be fine, but 8 games is sheer stupidity on the DIA's part.

If the speculation is true, someone needs to go to bat for him on the issue. That said, it IS speculation, so all I can agree with is the sentiment that we need to play the young guys as much as possible, and concentrate on the future. No one's gonna care if we lose by 10 or 20, so put them in, and give them a longer leash. You can tighten up when you have more to work with. You have to balance development in real games with the urgency of the game, but that ship has sailed and we would be better served working 100% on the future.

You remember right! So it's the position of twinky and illini80 that we need to DOUBLE that punishment for this? This gets even more ridiculous assuming that the drug in question is marijuana, which will almost certainly be legal in Illinois by this time next year.

@mattcoldagelli Go bring your argument with the Illinois DIA.

@Dan Can you shut this thread down? It's speculative as to what exactly happened with Tevian in the first place. @mattcoldagelli is basically arguing that it is good to let our student athletes experiment with drugs

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
the drug in question is marijuana, which will almost certainly be legal in Illinois by this time next year.
tenor.gif

But if he was suspended for disciplinary reasons, he has to serve his suspension and fix those personal issues whatever those are. There is no basis for really evaluating that suspension and coming to a judgment that it is too harsh. Especially considering that the University has been traditionally very lenient on their disciplinary actions (Luther, Jereme, Darius, etc.) and I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden we became tougher than anyone else.

The DIA policy in which a second failed drug test results in a suspension for 25% of a players' season (which is openly all-but-public as the reason for Tevian's suspension, the beat writers on twitter aren't being subtle so why should we?) is a relatively recent development. Or at least it is a relatively recent development that the NCAA is committed to punishing schools if (and only if) they fail to follow their own written guidelines for policing drug tests. I vaguely remember that coming out of the Art Briles mess at Baylor, but I could be wrong on that.

This stuff should be left up to the coaches. And when left up to the coaches it will be an arbitrary, cynical matter of how valuable the player is to the team's wins, and we should be fine with that.

You remember right! So it's the position of twinky and illini80 that we need to DOUBLE that punishment for this? This gets even more ridiculous assuming that the drug in question is marijuana, which will almost certainly be legal in Illinois by this time next year.

The merits of the DIA policy can certainly be questioned. But at this point, if he broke the rule (and possibly a second time), then the full suspension should be fulfilled.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Go bring your argument with the Illinois DIA.

Grow up. If the rejoinder to any criticism of what's going on with our athletics program(s) is "Well, take your complaints to the source!" then we should shut this forum down.

It's speculative as to what exactly happened with Tevian in the first place.

Oh hey, the guy who led off with "this kid hasn't been on campus a year and has failed two drug tests" is suddenly concerned with speculation.

@mattcoldagelli is basically arguing that it is good to let our student athletes experiment with drugs

False, and demonstrably so.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
If it’s the 2nd failed drug test, then it’s more about him not following the rules. I’m sure the first failed one brought him into the light in a poor way. The coaches probably told him to shape up, get it together, and not smoke pot because we need him AND it’s against the rules. Then, he went and did it anyway.

That shows a lack of respect for authority and rules (regardless of if the 2nd offense punishment is too harsh for some of you) and a lack of respect for his coaches and teammates who need him on the floor.

I’m surprised that winning basketball is more important to some of you than shaping a young man into a good decision maker and team player.

Having said that, none of know the true nature of the suspension. Maybe he showed up high at practice? Maybe it’s actually not drug related but a more serious offense? Maybe it truly is a punishment that is way worse than the crime? We don’t know, so maybe #free Tevian is completely inappropriate or maybe it’s a-okay.

But if the rumors are true and he did blatantly disregard the 1st warning/punishment/“talking-to” and did the same offense again, I don’t care about 8 games, he needs a course correction in regards to respect/following rules/listening to coaches. Maybe the DIA and coaches think a suspension is the best way to get his attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.