Future Football Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingillini11

White and Sixth
North Aurora
Is it me, or do we disproportionately play Rutgers? 2016-21?

Are the a permanent cross division rival? I guess I shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL

That's my question also. How does the conference determine the cross-divisional games year by year? We are getting a heavy dose of Rutgers now but I doubt that continues down the line

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Tough to complain about those schedules from an Illinois POV.

Every team had a quasi-permanent crossover rivalry the first four years since Rutgers and Maryland joined. Illinois' rival was Rutgers. (Indiana-Purdue is permanent.) I'm curious if they kept these going for all schools or just wanted wanted to keep that big Chicago/New York ratings boost to appease Fox and ESPN.

(Update: I did some spot checking and it appears everyone is keeping their quasi-permanent crossover rival.)

Last edited:

illinichick

Ann Arbor, MI
I just moved to Ann Arbor and was excited to get to see the Illini play here every four years....but guess not? Not complaining from a difficulty perspective, but am bummed they won't be coming to down until at least 2022!

In 2018, another Friday night B1G opener-

Future Schedule Update: Big Ten has moved 2018 #Illini home game vs. Penn St. to Friday night, Sept. 21 (originally scheduled for Sept. 22)
https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/status/921437089790676993

2018 Illini Football Schedule-
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/2015/6/24/football_futureschedules.aspx

Ugh. Friday night games suck, and it sucks even more to know that as a bottom-feeder, we’re apparently going to keep getting stuck with these games. Fans have to leave work early or take off and pull their kids out of school early to go, and it still loses tailgating time, not to mention overlapping with HS football.

If TV is so important, just dispense with actual fans at games entirely and play in a TV studio. (I’m exaggerating, but that’s how it’s felt like it’s going to this season ticket holder - in both sports - for several years now.)

Do schools have any say in the Friday night schedule? I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, that schools like Michigan and OSU have said no to Friday nights.

First, am I rem Bering correctly?

Second, if true, why? I get they are cash cows, but that puts other conference teams at a competitive disadvantage wrt recruitng.

Do schools have any say in the Friday night schedule? I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, that schools like Michigan and OSU have said no to Friday nights.

First, am I rem Bering correctly?

Second, if true, why? I get they are cash cows, but that puts other conference teams at a competitive disadvantage wrt recruitng.

Yes, you’re correct. Michigan, OSU and IIRC Penn State and even Northwestern (!) said no to Friday nights.

Frankly, I’m not surprised. Awful programs like Illinois have been raking in BTN money without really doing anything to deserve it for years and years now. This is finally a way for the big boys to throw their weight around a little, so we’re going to get stuck with Friday night games while they don’t.

BZuppke

Plainfield
We do provide good fodder for those elite teams so we serve our purpose ;)

For those who say it's impossible for Illinois to get out of the cellar, remember that Penn State--wherever they happen to be ranked at the moment--lost to Illinois as recently as 2014. We beat them 33-13 as recently as 2010. We won in 2007 as well. (Yes, I know, Penn State won most of the other years--we didn't play them every one).

But this is just for the Negative Nellies. I haven't given up on the future of Illinois future.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
For those who say it's impossible for Illinois to get out of the cellar, remember that Penn State--wherever they happen to be ranked at the moment--lost to Illinois as recently as 2014. We beat them 33-13 as recently as 2010. We won in 2007 as well. (Yes, I know, Penn State won most of the other years--we didn't play them every one).

But this is just for the Negative Nellies. I haven't given up on the future of Illinois future.
But wouldn't you agree that Penn State is viewed as a much more attractive program for recruits than Illinois?

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
That 2020 opener against Florida Atlantic is shaping up to be a total kick in the nads. Lane Kiffin probably won't be there any longer, but many of his high profile recruits will be upperclassmen.

It would be just like Illinois to have some pre-season hype and get ear-holed by a directional school well before conference season even starts.

I want positive change for Illinois football fortunes sooooo bad....I'm 55 and I wanna see the Illini relevant again in my lifetime.

SKane

Tennessee
Unfortunately, Illinois has become the "red shirts" of Big Ten football (as in Star Trek red shirts).

That doesn't mean to give up hope but it is not healthy to care too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.