Future Pros and Late Season Games

High Draft Pick Staying Out of Game

I don't know all the particulars, but it's implied that DT Ed Oliver could play, but is staying out of games in preparation of the draft. Coach not too happy, insists he takes off his team jacket which is for "active" players.

IMHO, kid is doing the right thing (not playing --the arguing with the coach thing is never a good look). It's certainly possible this could drop his draft stock, but given the amount of money on the line, the risk is something he shouldn't ignore. Guys playing for a national championship might not be willing to sit out, but I think it would be foolish not to make your career #1 priority. Note that the coach backed off immediately --just slitting his own throat if he goes after the player.

Kid's ready for the next level, should make his own choice. Screw the fans, screw the coaches. Your fellow players should understand. Make it to the NFL, and things will work themselves out.

I don't know all the particulars, but it's implied that DT Ed Oliver could play, but is staying out of games in preparation of the draft. Coach not too happy, insists he takes off his team jacket which is for "active" players.

IMHO, kid is doing the right thing (not playing --the arguing with the coach thing is never a good look). It's certainly possible this could drop his draft stock, but given the amount of money on the line, the risk is something he shouldn't ignore. Guys playing for a national championship might not be willing to sit out, but I think it would be foolish not to make your career #1 priority. Note that the coach backed off immediately --just slitting his own throat if he goes after the player.

Kid's ready for the next level, should make his own choice. Screw the fans, screw the coaches. Your fellow players should understand. Make it to the NFL, and things will work themselves out.
Certainly the mindset these days. Not saying its right or wrong, but it seems to have shifted significantly in the past 15-20 years. I'm only 30, so this isn't a "back in my day" post. But, whenever there is that much money on the line at the next level vs working a job in "communication" or "RST" or whatever major most future NFL players choose at college is a sizable difference in both earning potential and career enjoyment I'd assume. Just a tough situation on both sides.

What Bosa did (while different), what multiple players have done regarding bowl games, and now what Oliver has done is 100% the right thing to do for top draft prospects. He tares his ACL in basically meaningless college games, and he probably loses out on at least 4-5m. Contract amount drops roughly 50% from 1st overall to 11th (33m to 16m approx. according to last years draft). I'd be shocked if his stock dropped at all by not playing. There's enough tape on him already.

Pretty petty of the coach to insist that Oliver take off his coat during the game. On the other hand, not knowing the full story, it seems like the right thing for Oliver to do is quit the team if he's not going to participate in games or practices.

Deleted member 654622

D

Completely agree. He can just do it without a team coat on

Pretty petty of the coach to insist that Oliver take off his coat during the game. On the other hand, not knowing the full story, it seems like the right thing for Oliver to do is quit the team if he's not going to participate in games or practices.

This would have implications for his scholarship and degree completion if he is finishing his degree. It is selfish of a coach to expect a player to risk anything because that coach won’t support him if he gets injurrrd and Houston is not likely to take out insurance on the player.

This would have implications for his scholarship and degree completion if he is finishing his degree. It is selfish of a coach to expect a player to risk anything because that coach won’t support him if he gets injurrrd and Houston is not likely to take out insurance on the player.
If he wants to essentially be a team cheerleader, he should get the same scholarship cheerleaders get. Since he doesn't want to play anymore, I'm sure he can find an agent who will cover the rest of his college expenses.