G League to offer $125K to elite prospects as alternative to one-and-done route

Pretty much the entire population :)

No offense taken, I may be older than many but I am still closer to the game and players than the average fan.

The question is not whether there are players 22 or younger with followers, there are plenty of those especially getting tremendous exposure, national publicity, and visibility due to college basketball and college recruiting. Most college players are 22 and younger. College basketball is a major industry with great momentum and provides a tremendous audience and benefits to these young players.

The question is whether there are many players (18-19 and younger) that will give G-league a tremendous ticket increase and a national audience without going to college. That, I seriously doubt. But we will see when the rule is implemented.

220 = class of 2020, not 22 and younger. I’m talking 18 and younger. Lack of clarity there on my part. And no doubt college recruiting amplifies the national publicity of players but these days the ground floor for that exposure starts with social media, not the college recruiting process.

By the way, did some reading about the Gator-league. An agent said it's unlikely that a h.s. kid would take that kind of offer, since they can get that much already, get greater exposure in college (which helps with endorsements), and most importantly, don't have to go up against players who are more physically developed and fighting for a roster spot. Avg age of a G league player is 25, and a lottery pick player has much to lose even if the risk of injury is only slightly higher.

By the way, did some reading about the Gator-league. An agent said it's unlikely that a h.s. kid would take that kind of offer, since they can get that much already, get greater exposure in college (which helps with endorsements), and most importantly, don't have to go up against players who are more physically developed and fighting for a roster spot. Avg age of a G league player is 25, and a lottery pick player has much to lose even if the risk of injury is only slightly higher.

This makes a lot of sense - great point.

What are we arguing?

I came here to buy an argument!

...but really, whether or not elite players will take the G-League as a legitimate path to the NBA. Obelix believes that the number will be very small because the G-League doesn't provide enough exposure (which is definitely true in the traditional sense). My argument is that social media has changed how, and more importantly, when, elite players gain exposure, with the point being that players don't necessarily need college in order to gain exposure and market themselves to a larger audience. Not true for everyone, but certainly true for some.

If they are offered 125K, they will definitely guarantee them a roster spot, so less of an issue. But the rest is absolutely correct, there are some veteran college players in the G-league that at this stage in their career are more advanced. The value of the young players is future potential, not so much immediate impact. Their limitations will be more exposed against veteran players.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
I came here to buy an argument!

No, you didn't.

cleese.jpg

Now an alternative to the G League.

Darius Bazley Takes $1M Internship with New Balance After Skipping G League

First, Darius Bazley decided to forgo a scholarship at Syracuse to play one season in the G League before declaring himself eligible for the 2019 NBAdraft. Now, after signing with agent Rich Paul and Klutch Sports in May, he's also forgoing the G League to serve as a New Balance intern.

"The internship, to be precise, is folded into a handsome shoe contract Bazley, 18, has landed with New Balance on the lure of his pro potential. According to Paul, Bazley’s multiyear deal will pay him $1 million 'no matter what happens' with his NBA career—and can pay up to $14 million if he reaches all performance incentives."

If they are offered 125K, they will definitely guarantee them a roster spot, so less of an issue. But the rest is absolutely correct, there are some veteran college players in the G-league that at this stage in their career are more advanced. The value of the young players is future potential, not so much immediate impact. Their limitations will be more exposed against veteran players.

I think you misread that. It's the other guys that are fighting for a roster spot that pose the risk. The agent was saying that a marginal NBA player in the G-league is going to play more aggressively, and that type of play affects the risk to the elite players that are offered the $125.

On the face of it, it seems like a reasonable alternative, but I think the fact of the matter is that no one cares much about the G-league, and so there's no real money in it, whereas there's tons of money in college ball.

illiniCA

DC Area
Internship.. lol. I like it but that's just a funny thing to call it.

This is great. If Nike and Adidas want to setup basketball academies for players and invest in them I think that is awesome. That approach is much more likely to work than the G league.

This a duh statement —- the college game will always provide way the hell more exposure and resources for the elite kids —- the one and done is not going away —- this new league opportunity is really only for the not ready for prime time nba wannabes and the occasional freak athlete who has really bad grades or serious character issues.

This is great. If Nike and Adidas want to setup basketball academies for players and invest in them I think that is awesome. That approach is much more likely to work than the G league.
Why would they want to? The shoe companies want these kids going to college. It's amazing exposure and no cost to them.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
I hope New Balance doesn't plan on hiring anything but top recruit basketball player interns, from now on...

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Why would they want to? The shoe companies want these kids going to college. It's amazing exposure and no cost to them.

1. Not sure how it's "no cost." They're paying 10's if not 100's of millions for contracts with NCAA schools. Under Armor paid UCLA alone close to $19M last year for apparel rights. I think most of that is gonna stay there, but at least some will likely be diverted if they can get big name players to their own leagues.
  2. And that's just for the legal stuff. As has been becoming increasingly apparent, there's likely millions going under the table as well, which can easily be diverted to (relatively) above-board deals.
  3. As has been mentioned before, this companies are not looking to get deals with NCAA college players as much as they're looking to lock in future pro superstars early. This is essentially a venture capital type model - put a bit of money in a bunch of prospects and a couple should pay off big time. Any return you get in the meantime is a nice to have but not the main goal.

illiniCA

DC Area

I don't think the shoe companies think of college as exposure. I think they are investing in potential pros.

Mike

C-U Townie
He coulda got that and more at Louisville.

IMO going to university makes sense for many people, but now maybe not so much for top nationally ranked high school basketball players.
Wonder how many of the "difference makers" will skip college and help the non blue bloods like us compete?

This a duh statement —- the college game will always provide way the hell more exposure and resources for the elite kids —- the one and done is not going away —- this new league opportunity is really only for the not ready for prime time nba wannabes and the occasional freak athlete who has really bad grades or serious character issues.

I will wager my second beach house that it is going away (at least in the way we think of it). Just a matter of time until the NBA and the NBPA come to terms to allow high schoolers to make the jump straight to the NBA again.