Game Thread: Illinois at Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
~80% of this game rides on our D. Intensity will be at 11. Great that we finally get Griffin back. We're deeper than Iowa, hopefully we can wear them down. Win the board battle and stay out of foul trouble, and we got this.*

* - I think, lol

Here are my thoughts that will equate to a W. Play solid d without fouling and shoot it at decent clip but for me it seems it always comes does to getting more possessions and limiting theirs. Control the rebounding on both ends. Limit Iowas extra chance and get some offensive boards . Also win the turnover battle.That is one thing that has really improved as the year has gone on. WE are turning it over much less and we need to force a few more. Also guard the 3 point line . I know that is a lot if i could pick two id say win the Rebounding and Turnover battle and the Illini win.

I think the three point line is everything in this game. Let Garza score, but don't let him pass out of the double for wide open threes.

Two teams that beat up on us last year were PU and Iowa. Have our revenge on one, let’s have a beat down on Iowa.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Just saw that this game is a “white out” for the Iowa fans. You should see two people in bright orange in row 10 behind the basket opposite the student section — I think we’ll stand out a bit in a sea of white!

Wouldn't normally think along these lines.....but today I think how the game is officiated will dictate the outcome of the game....let em bang inside and I think we win.....call em close and I think that favors Garza and the Hawkeyes......and 3 pt shooting or the lack of will be a secondary factor......Illini by 5

Iowa looks really tough.. My cousins are from Iowa so I follow them somewhat and this is the most complete team they've had in a long time. I expect us to be right there in the game because we finally have a team where there are 4-5 people who can get some points and our D has been excellent. Hopefully they're not hot from deep and we don't get in foul trouble!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I think we've found our formula. Play the same D and limit their 3pt % to 30 or less and just play solid on Garza, and if we can shoot reasonably well on offense it's another W.
BU won't let them forget the beat down from last year. We won't let them go off on offense.

Scraping dead Hawkeye off the pavement today.....mmmmmmmm road kill.

Illini - 71
I diots O ut W andering A round - 62

Here are my thoughts that will equate to a W. Play solid d without fouling and shoot it at decent clip but for me it seems it always comes does to getting more possessions and limiting theirs. Control the rebounding on both ends. Limit Iowas extra chance and get some offensive boards . Also win the turnover battle.That is one thing that has really improved as the year has gone on. WE are turning it over much less and we need to force a few more. Also guard the 3 point line . I know that is a lot if i could pick two id say win the Rebounding and Turnover battle and the Illini win.
I think it's too much to expect Griffin to shoot lights out in his first game back, but when he's at his best, he gets offensive rebounds and makes a lot of hustle plays. Garza's going to get his, but if we create some extra possessions, we can overcome his total.

I wanna see Fran lose it and get T'd up & possibly kicked out haha. Should be a good game. GO ILLINI

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
~80% of this game rides on our D. Intensity will be at 11. Great that we finally get Griffin back. We're deeper than Iowa, hopefully we can wear them down. Win the board battle and stay out of foul trouble, and we got this.*

* - I think, lol
Brings me to my worry for today....staying out of foul trouble in an intense BIG road game.
Home cooking is tough to overcome, but this team is proving to be tough

illini80

Forgottonia
I think the three point line is everything in this game. Let Garza score, but don't let him pass out of the double for wide open threes.
I agree and I mean that both ways. Iowa is a very good 3 pt shooting team. I heard Tate say yesterday we 280th in the nation. We need an above average day while holding them below average to have a chance today.

This is the only team in the conference that I think is a truly bad matchup for us. My concern isn't Garza. He's going to get his, which is fine. It's the knockdown three point shooters they have surrounding him. The last two games we've played against them have not gone well, especially the Big Ten Tournament game.

Iowa. 77
Good Guys. 62

The good news is that we're playing with house money today.

the national

the Front Range
Hopingfor500 you kinda said it all for me. I assume this will be no different than last year’s outcomes. But we have improved so I’d like to be pleasantly surprised but not expected the W. I just don’t like Iowa. At. All.

I wanna beat them so bad....(which is why I assume we’ll lose)

I'm as nervous as I have been for an Illini basketball game in years. The GLORY we could achieve with a win today is just so great, lol. Winning our eighth straight in Iowa City vs. a top 20 Iowa team that WHOOPED us twice last year? That is as big time as it gets all regular season, period. I want this one SO badly. This will be a Herculean task for our guys, but until they break this streak ... I gotta keep the faith. I am fully on the bandwagon for this Illini squad, and a loss today does not in any way dampen my enthusiasm. However ... this one would just be monumental.

An inspired Illini effort leads to...

Illinois 77
Iowa 73

This is the only team in the conference that I think is a truly bad matchup for us. My concern isn't Garza. He's going to get his, which is fine. It's the knockdown three point shooters they have surrounding him. The last two games we've played against them have not gone well, especially the Big Ten Tournament game.

Iowa. 77
Good Guys. 62

The good news is that we're playing with house money today.
This is a different team with a completely different philosophy with Kofi in the middle. We can clearly guard the three well now and if they happen to drive past us the big man will be waiting for them. There is a reason Purdue and Michigan had so few good looks or even attempts from 3.

Not many 3 pt shots taken against Minn. 3 point shot can be demoralizing - you work like hell for 30 seconds to get high percentage scores, and other other team gets a bunch of quick 3's and your down five or six points despite playing good ball- agree with above, Garza will get his points, but do not allow easy 3 pt. looks.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
This game is no tougher than @WI, @PU, or @scUM.

Iowa is not a juggernaut. DePaul beat them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.