Game Thread: Illinois at Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna be hard to justify over $5M in salaries to put this level of product on the field. For starters, Nickerson has to go.....

Deleted member 746094

D
Hmm... well let’s see...

First off and obviously we have a coaching staff that isn’t and won’t be caught in any sort of player abuse scandal.
Recruiting has improved from dead last in the B1G (probably dead last in the P5 too) and we use our underclassmen more, but the physical presence and mental acuity puts them at a disadvantage against the competition who have upperclassmen.
The offense is improved, play-wise; but still lack a B1G ready QB.
Defense in awful, and Nickerson will lose his job because of it. The scheme is absolutely terrible, because we don’t have the type of players to make it work.

Some of you must have short term memory of how much worse the beckman teams were. The Smith team would wipe the floor with the Beckman team.
I’m not saying changes still need to be made with this staff and players, but we’re not regressing since the Beckman era. That’s just utterly false and overreacting towards watching this team suck.

You are absolutely grasping at straws in every example to support your argument. “Abuse scandal”??? Come on!

We are giving up 500+ yards to every offense and losing by 30+. Beckman wasn’t the 13th highest paid coach in ALL of division one football. The bar was raised when Lovie asked to be paid like an elite college football coach and has delivered well below his salary grade.

We hired a guy based on his name and nominal success in the NFL. It got everyone’s attention and we are arguably in the same spot we are when he got here minus the time and money we have wasted. Both of which we can’t get back.

Other B10 coaches are sitting in their offices laughing. This is fact as I know two of them that have told me this much. He will get next year as well as we can’t afford to buy him out so another year of regression.

My father took me to my first Illini game sometime in the 1960's. It was a lopsided loss. We spent the second half in the Viking Room at the Ramada in. At the time I did not understand why, in the intervening years it has become quite clear. Now sure how much more of this one take. SMH

This season is absolutely the most embarrassing performance I have ever seen. What is most disheartening is that there is no end in sight. Smith obviously isn't the guy that is going to regain any degree of respectability and who would possibly take this job? The obvious answer is no one. At least no one who is capable of fielding a team that would be able to win even half the games. The humiliation is palpable.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
I really hope Lovie doesn't say the "we're better than our record" line after this game. I know he isn't much for emotion on the sideline, and that's fine, but I also don't want to hear that anymore. There are serious problems with this squad. I'm not smart enough to football to know if it's talent, scheme, position coaching etc. But it's something, and probably several of those things. Especially on defense.

I will say we have progressed on offense this year, as much as people don't want to admit it. But we have regressed on defense, despite all those freshman being a year older. Some of it may be the players we lost (Watson, Williams, etc.). But it doesn't matter, there's something seriously wrong. And the first step to fixing it is to admit that that is a fact.

Edit: I will keep supporting these players, and I will keep watching games. They're putting in work, and they committed to the beloved. That's all I ask for. But coaching needs to be realistic, humble, and committed. If all three of those aren't there, and the actions don't reflect those factors, then action needs to be taken.

I'm a firm believer in giving a coach 4 years to prove his capabilities, but even I must admit that the regression is really disturbing. How in the world is this defense THIS bad? It's horrendous. I honestly don't know how it could get any worse. Every team we play looks like Alabama on offense. It's embarrassing and as a fan so i can't even imagine how these kids feel at the end of each game.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
They've put up 600 yards on us and there is still most of a quarter to go. I don't even think Beckman's first years defense was this bad, and that was really bad.

Like watching the titanic. Why would any run a play against us that isn't a jet sweep or wide out screen

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
My god the potential backdoor cover here....

(Also, I have some hilarious news, we're gonna go up in the F/+ rankings this week)

The good news is we are significantly better than Maryland's 2nd and 3rd string...

Deleted member 649710

D
The Illini are going to wind up giving up around 700 yards and 60 points to Maryland. In year 3 of this scheme. The offense is decent but the defense is an abomination. Just absolutely the most terrible defense I’ve ever seen in Illini history, and arguably the worst in Division 1. Absolutely unacceptable. It’s not just that they get pushed around, it’s that they look clueless. How does that happen?

The Beckman era was definitely not worse than this - this is truly embarrassing for the university, for the athletic department. Simply no excuse for this

Yep, Tim Beckman was better than this coaching staff. Let that soak in for a while folks. The guy was a total goof, but I actually think he cared more than Lovie does.

Status
Not open for further replies.