Game Thread: Illinois at Michigan State

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is terrible officiated game... I hate directing fingers but they have missed soooo many travel calls on Michigan state. So many illegal screens. BS foul call at the end there... if brad didn’t get the tech and they didn’t call that it’s a 2-3 pt game.. and that’s with Trent not scoring and kofi out at the 11min mark. The offense is flowing but our shots aren’t falling. Maybe we switch ends and start hitting. Alan, tev and ayo doing really well! Giorgi starting to show up. I would probably play Feliz a bit more instead of Trent - we need some scoring and Feliz is at least attacking right now.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Not sure it is. I think we were 13th in 3 point shooting coming in. Think we are 0 for 11 tonight. Probably puts us 14th. 14th I'm 14 team league is pretty bad
It wasn't qualified as 3 point shooting, just shooting. If it is specifically about 3's, we are bad, but most likely not the worst ever.

This is terrible officiated game... I hate directing fingers but they have missed soooo many travel calls on Michigan state. So many illegal screens. BS foul call at the end there... if brad didn’t get the tech and they didn’t call that it’s a 2-3 pt game.. and that’s with Trent not scoring and kofi out at the 11min mark. The offense is flowing but our shots aren’t falling. Maybe we switch ends and start hitting. Alan, tev and ayo doing really well! Giorgi starting to show up. I would probably play Feliz a bit more instead of Trent - we need some scoring and Feliz is at least attacking right now.

Kofi had 2 fouls

They have constant moving screens and no calls, this refs are beyond homers.

They key to this whole deal is Frazier. This was a guy that you could absolutely chalk up for 12-15 per game with potential to go for 25. This year.....he hasn't even been bad. He's been non existent. He's just not involved and I don't understand it.

We are in a good place all things considered . Kofi out most of the half and missing some he usually makes i am sure due to nerves. Trent is capable and the shots will fall. i love how AG is playing on oth ends. I wish we fed GB the ball in the post more but the shots will fall. AG is going to be very very good the more xperience he gets.

Deleted member 29907

D
Probably the worst call that I’ve ever seen in a basketball game. Horrible.
And the crap ref got to watch his crap call over and over again figuring out how much time was left on the clock.

Refs at the table:
"Gee Bob, you really screwed that one up"
"Well it was bad, but your missed goaltending call was pretty bad too, so I don't feel that bad - well at least we're keeping Tommy happy"

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 8.05.07 PM.png

Deleted member 4960

D
Trent was fine on play. Horrendous 3 pt shooting and bad officiating is why we are losing. That non foul call when Giorgi was going back up at the end of the half was horrific. How do you not foul a guy with a standing block from that far behind him.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
Rebounds surprisingly even but when you’re 0-11 from 3 I guess you gets lots of chances. Pretty good D - we’re in it at MSU. Shoot better in second and we got a chance.

9 and 8 is a really good game? It you're talking about a really good big man, that you want to run offense through....that doesn't cut it.

You want a more direct comment? He's soft with the ball, he doesn't go up strong, he doesn't play through contact and he doesn't finish close to the rim. I saw him get stuffed once already and get it knocked around because he brings the ball down....same scenario against Missouri.

If you want to run offense through your center in this league....18 and 9 needs to be the EXPECTATION. If he gives them that, this is a 10 win Big Ten team because they can run offense through him.... allowing for more inside/outside action.

9 and 8 on 4 of 7 shooting vs Maryland is not "a really good game". It's a sound game and a contribution vs a really good game and a game changer.

I’m going to remind you that Jalen Smith was a top 10 recruit, McDonald’s all American and a 1st round pick this year. A number of sources called Smith a 25 player in all of college ball this year. For a true freshman to go 9 & 8 at 57% from the field, go 100% from the line, with all of 3 years or whatever it is of basketball under his belt , and not get blown out of the gym is...really good. This idea that Kofi has just dominated against smaller inferior opponents isn’t a legitimate argument.

SKane

Tennessee
Team did well to keep it close. Sixteen FTs for MSU and three FTs for IL.

0 -11 EFTs for IL. Make even 1/3 of them and ILL leads this game.

Deleted member 29907

D
Just let him chuck it. He's already near halfcourt FFS. He makes it, you tip your cap and move on. Why even try to defend/draw a charge there?
I actually don't have a problem with what he did. That's a charge 99.999999% of the time. He was WAY ahead of the player going into a shooting motion. Yes - its hard to account for the refs, but that call was beyond horrible.

At some point these guys gotta play through the tightness and make some 3's. Shooting 42% against NC AT is all well and good but doesn't mean a lot.

Need AG and TF to hit some 3s against some good competition.

kofi out most of the game and missing threes, homer refs but we are n the game only three turnovers. We need to force some but it will get better. I think AG, GB, and Ayo play well and kofi helps out a ton in the second half! Go Illini~

Deleted member 746654

D
Just walked in and turned the tv on and 1st thing I see is the call on Fraizer. It is a typical illinois road BIG game as they are getting screwed by refs. I can tell with one call.....

They have constant moving screens and no calls, this refs are beyond homers.
We r getting hip checked on EVERY MS screen. But the only foul called for moving screen went against us early on an inadvertent brush. One or two calls on their sliding screens and we won't have to switch so much.

kofi out most of the game and missing threes, homer refs but we are n the game only three turnovers. We need to force some but it will get better. I think AG, GB, and Ayo play well and kofi helps out a ton in the second half! Go Illini~

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I feel like we played better without Kofi. Giorgi doing more of what he did last year, and scoring. Offense has seemed to move more fluidly, and he wasn't exactly a rebound machine while he was playing. Thoughts?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
They key to this whole deal is Frazier. This was a guy that you could absolutely chalk up for 12-15 per game with potential to go for 25. This year.....he hasn't even been bad. He's been non existent. He's just not involved and I don't understand it.

I'll take a whack at it....

He got a lot more open looks off of our pressure D and run outs. This year we have been totally committed to the post game with terrible ball movement. There have been dozens of occasions where a shooter (Trent, AG, Ayo) is wide open but Kofi and Giorgi force their shot. We just are so one dimensional and without movement while everyone watches Kofi and Giorgi. I've seen flashes in the last few games, but just inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.